Hello & Welcome to Ambient Online Forums
You can also find us on Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    08:35 AM
    In my humble , modest opinion, yes percussion belongs in ambient if its conducive. Just look at how Steve Roach uses percussion at around 4:00 ish

Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    10:35 AM
    i don't see what's wrong with having drums in ambient music. "easily ignorable" is subjective, anyway; if i am putting drums in my ambient stuff then it's usually the same loop repeated over and over again with mild adjustments over time. is this not easily ignorable? there's not a lot of variation to catch the listener's attention and new samples are rarely added, even if the drums provide something that stands out more than the other elements of the track. ultimately it depends on what you consider to be ambient; i can't think of a tycho track without drums off the top of my head but many certainly consider them to be ambient.
    my hearthis.at dark ambient group: https://hearthis.at/group/45808/dark-ambient/

Astral Traveler Sky High Diamonds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    Some tracks I use drums, others just don't need or want it. I have been adding my own drum beats lately rather than downloading & looping. Actually, I have got very in to the whole percussion thing but I have been mixing it up with music concrete & dark ambient stuff. I think drums can really enhance a track with movement and vibrancy and live drums are definitely preferable to drum machines or downloads (for me), these days anyway!

Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    Done well, I think percussion in ambient music can bring a lot to the party. Not just percussion but equally other musical elements that create movement. I like to feel the music is at least going somewhere.

Thinking about it another way - and I realise this will be very subjective - if you consider ambient music in the purest sense it is, by definition, designed to create ambience and many artists seek inspiration from the natural world which itself contains an infinite array of sounds, some of which are percussive.

So in short, yeah ... percussion/drums in ambient music is fine in my book.