You can also find us on Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    Reason's still going strong (v9 now i think), I played with the demo occasionally but it didn't do it for me, dont think the closed system is for me.
    Yeah, they're on 9.2 right now - I'm still working with 3.04, because it has everything I need. At least it still works on Windows 7!

Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    Oh I got the distro pretty much installed (from a Usb stick created with rufus) but grub failed to install for some reason. As I said, lubuntu worked fine... Are you running many music apps on puppy? I've only ever played with Ubuntu studio, next step was to try traktion and reaper in wine.

I have:

Audacity, String, Hydrogen, Aspect, Giada, Mixxx straight Linux;
    Hex, Midiox, The Viking in Wine.

There's PupStudio with a lot of configured apps but I had sound problems, DVD problems etc and IIRC it wasn't PAE (which allows more than 4gb ram use). So I use a Slacko 5.6 PAE pup with Audacity.1.3.14.pet that contains a lot of effects (eg TAP plugins).

I'm really only using Audacity, String (iRig controller) and Hydrogen at the moment with a Korg Triton and Roland MC80ex sounds. Hex is a microtonal sequencer from http://www.dynamictonality.com/hex.htm but i haven't used it much lately. Hardware synths going into an ESI U24 XL or M-Audio M-Track II.

Problems though routing virtual synths through S/PDIF into Audacity - doesn't want to work. Freezes and gives an i/o error in Audacity. Anyone know how to do that?
    Last edited by mux; 03-18-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: more

Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time

Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    03:35 PM
    Just seen steinberg have released an official linux version of the vst sdk, could be interesting.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    03:35 PM
    My last PC (2011) was the cheapest commodity quad core i5 desktop I could find with sufficient internal expansion capabilities for extra disk, ram. It's good for everything I have thrown at it. I looked at building one myself, but the cost saving I would have made would have been about 50 back then, and spending hours downloading microcode, firmware updates, device drivers seemed too much like the day job. I'll run this one into the ground, and maybe do the same thing again, or possibly go for one of the machines offered by Scan computers.

Thanks
    Local Date
    03-30-2017
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by mux View Post
    Problems though routing virtual synths through S/PDIF into Audacity - doesn't want to work. Freezes and gives an i/o error in Audacity. Anyone know how to do that?
    I have sorted this now; the Dell laptop connected via ethernet to the Itona, String and maybe other some other softsynths/Hex on the Itona sending S/PDIF into the M-Track via USB, but analogue out to the Dell (into Audacity). It sounds great - no audible hiss. CPU scaling on both machines set to 'performance' rather than on-demand (fixed a stutter from the synth on the Itona). The Itona has 1GB ram installed which is a bonus as I assumed it had 512mb only, basic spec. When I've got hold of 2x2gb DDr2 DIMM, I'm thinking now about two instances of Audacity open and file-sharing the material.
    Last edited by mux; 03-19-2017 at 08:04 PM.