Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That will be interesting to hear!

Comment

That'll either be contender for album of the year or a major disappointment.
      Ascendant Bandcamp // SoundCloud // FaceBook // Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Phase47 View Post
        That'll either be contender for album of the year or a major disappointment.
        As with almost any Eno release. I remember Spinner with Jah Wobble or Passengers. They weren't awful, just didn't feel like I was experiencing something new and cutting edge.

Passengers was necessary though. After Zooropa I predicted U2 either had to make Eno a full member or get rid of him. Through Passengers they found another way.

Comment

When I first heard about Eno hooking up with Warp Records, I thought maybe he'd shaken off the complacency of his later stuff. But no, while it was markedly better, it still didn't excite me like, for instance 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' did. And that's a long time ago...

It's a shame, but nowadays my expectations are pretty low when a new Eno release is announced - but at the back of my mind there's still a little hope that he'll make something truly great again
          My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
          Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

I think he's picked up again recently.

Lux was, well, typical ambient Eno but other recent albums (Small Craft..., Drums Between...) were both pretty good imo. Small Craft... was obviously a collaboration so maybe that helped.

His last collab with David Byrne though was sadly pretty bland...

imo.
            Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Yeah, loved Small Craft on a Milk Sea and Drums Between the Bells.

I often wonder if it's just not me that is expecting too much sometimes. Discovering his earlier works was such a revelation and so different than what I was exposed to at the time. It has to be hard to deliver something 10 years ahead of it's time every time you release something.

I do like the fact that despite my feelings about a particular work, he still seems to be developing and releasing things that interest him. Perhaps he will once again come up with something that changes the way we listen and think about what we do.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                I often wonder if it's just not me that is expecting too much sometimes. Discovering his earlier works was such a revelation and so different than what I was exposed to at the time. It has to be hard to deliver something 10 years ahead of it's time every time you release something.
                Sad, but I think that's generally the case for any artist hailed early on in their career. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of a band like REM; 'best band in the world' said Rolling Stone and I love most of their 80s output. But then they hit a plateau which resulted in stuff that was still pretty great but didn't burn with that 'newness' of their early period. Something psychological too, the excitement of discovering something new can turn your head and even if they carry on producing (subjectively) comparable work, it won't shine as bright for you.
                Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I had the same experience with REM as well as U2, Lou Reed, Radiohead, Talking Heads, among others. A few years of amazement followed by a slow decline of interest in the latest work.

Plus, we got OLD.

Comment

Except Leonard Cohen, he is still great
                    https://soundcloud.com/jespis

Comment

I think there is an inevitable fading of excitement from anyone's output - whether in science or art. When someone who is exciting first appears, that is the first expression of their personality to the world and so the difference they bring is really apparent. With every subsequent release we get used to the difference that excited us in the beginning. This has nothing to do with quality of the work - it may be that the mature work is the best, or that the work remains interesting throughout. Or not. But there is only so much difference a personality can bring to the world, and that gets expressed early on. And if that difference is rich enough - which it will be if they are a great artist - then the rest of their life is spent exploring and refining that with varying success at different times.
                      BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Maybe it will be better once they mix it. (I kid)

I get it, but not my cup of tea. I'll take bowie/eno or bowie/reed. Still love you, Underworld! Still love too, Eno.
                        Last edited by Phase47; 03-04-2014, 03:04 PM.
                        Ascendant Bandcamp // SoundCloud // FaceBook // Twitter

Comment

Hmm, yeah. Not bad, but sounds more like keeping up with the times rather than being ahead of them.

Comment

Working...
                          X