No announcement yet.

Next SoundCloud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Audiomack and Heartthis are the best alternatives (when it comes to funcionality) right now, but their interface design are both terrible at this point. If they improve in that they could be a good soundcloud killer.

Comment

• Here's a very interesting article about a possible future direction of music rights that exhorts the creation of a completely new digital format using Blockchain technology that will enable artists. The embedded video is well worth watching.
      You most likely have heard of crypto currency and Bitcoins, but the full power of this digital revolution is hidden below. Blockchain technology may well be the technology that will change the way …
      Nothing is a mistake. There’s no win and no fail, there’s only make.— John Cage
      Hear some of my music at hearthis , Soundcloud, Bandcamp, or just say Ello! Also see H.P. Dronecraft collab with ontol.

Comment

• Originally posted by windspace View Post
        Here's a very interesting article about a possible future direction of music rights that exhorts the creation of a completely new digital format using Blockchain technology that will enable artists. The embedded video is well worth watching.
        How have you found using Ello, Bruce?
        The blockchain use looks very interesting - I bought the Tapscott book when it came out and this was the sort of thing they found most exciting about blockchain tech.
        SOUNDCLOUD https://soundcloud.com/greghooper
        SPOTIFY https://open.spotify.com/artist/6cbbq2ZO0cjaKXquorwchW

Comment

• I believe Ello is something that you get of what you put in to it. And, honestly, I have not been putting in much effort or spending much time there lately. Also, even though we upgraded to a faster ISP, it comes with a price - a data cap (such is rural internet life in Amerika). Ello seems to be such a high data use site with all the graphics that I rarely go there now.

You mentioned Orfium in a previous post. I started a profile there and it seemed a good thing, but apart form a small cadre of fellow AO members who also started their Orfium presence at about the same time, absolutely nobody else ever listened to my tracks there. Also, it seemed that racks were being taken from Orfium and put up on pirate type music sites. So I canceled Orfium and deleted my content.
          Nothing is a mistake. There’s no win and no fail, there’s only make.— John Cage
          Hear some of my music at hearthis , Soundcloud, Bandcamp, or just say Ello! Also see H.P. Dronecraft collab with ontol.

Comment

• I'm still on Ello, and occasionally post there, but I think it's quiet when compared to Twitter. I'm not a big fan of the layout/gui, but I can just about handle it. I logged in a couple of days ago and wasn't able to access my profile, although it was working again yesterday.

Orfium is quieter that one of my ambient intros. I haven't had a play there in 18 months, although I only have one track posted there. It's a relatively simple task to steal tracks from any online streaming service (or, so I hear). I don't think Orfium was particularly vulnerable to that sort of activity.
            Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

• I think about deleting my SoundCloud account because it works against my bandcamp shop.

What are your opinions on selling music?
              ahornberg.bandcamp.com
              soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Ahornberg View Post
                I think about deleting my SoundCloud account because it works against my bandcamp shop.

What are your opinions on selling music?
                I think people should be paid for their work. I still have soundcloud but have cut back enormously on what is there and will probably not use it that much in the future. I am going Distrokid and all the services they link to, plus bandcamp plus facebook and instagram. I am not a twitter user but could be convinced I guess. Basically I am happy to share a little bit but if people want to listen to what I do then they have to pay, even if it is via Spotify. But I am no longer giving stuff way, I have become extremely cynical about the IT industry and the extraction of wealth (and health) that seems to underlie it.

I have never made much from music but overwhelmingly the money I have made is through commissions for artists / installation / video work, plus theatre. I have a 5 day field recording and video trip coming up for an artist on Friday - that is a follow up for a project she started and I joined a few years ago now. It will be shown in a large regional gallery and probably tour to other galleries. The whole project has been shown in Holland as well as major galleries in Australia and got written up in the NewYorker. That is way better than any online response I've had to my standalone music.
                So my experience is that very little sells online and it is vastly more rewarding personally (and still not that much financially) to work with other people making products that will be seen by real people in the actual real world possibly with you right there on the spot as they listen.

Much much better

Comment

• I haven't released anything on BC yet, hoping this year, and I'll just release it for free. But I think publishing internet content in general is a bit like street performing, only so many people are going to pay.* Bandcamp taps into that with the pay what you want model and all, besides being a better publishing platform than SC. Where SC is suited more for promoting, by its own design.

*Amanda Palmer's foreword to Doctorow's book Information Doesn't Want To Be Free somewhat influenced my view on that, it made sense to me. I wouldn't argue that it's the best of ideals, but it's not like last centuries models are either. I have the audiobook version but I see it's on archive.org too - https://archive.org/stream/Informati...0Free_djvu.txt
                  | Ambire Seiche - @ Tumblr | @ heart this | @ Sonic Squirrel |
                  | Steeping Mary Net Label

Comment

• from amanda palmer's foreword "
                    As long as people make art and content, and other people want art and content, the marketplace will adjust to create paths for them to connect and support each other. " this is utterly false and only applies under the most abstract conceptions of a market. In the modern world nothing like this sort of market has ever existed.

The last people to believe about this stuff are the tiny tiny few who have made money - it is like people who make money from stocks or from currency trading - the stats show that virtually all that success can be accounted for by chance - the sharp moves, the picking the market etc etc can all be accounted for by looking backwards and picking the few trajectories that succeeded as if they succeeded purely by chance. There's just so many people doing it that by chance some will be successful. By and large it is the same with I'm just the little guy net based success - a tiny few succeed and their story is told as if it were a deterministic process, but that is all reasoning into the past, just so stories to make sense within a particular frame, most often a frame where the teller is the hero.

Last edited by GregH; 02-28-2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• It is ok, if people give away their music for free. It is also ok, if they want to be paid.

But one should not expect lots of money from BC. From my revenues, I can buy a new cable, but not a new synth. And when I look at the "supported by" sections of others peoples albums, it seems to me, that they suffer from the same problem.
                      Soundcloud - Youtube - Petroglyph Music - Bandcamp

Comment

• I think, in all honesty, most of the "support" on BC comes from fellow artists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ambient Mechanics View Post
                          I think, in all honesty, most of the "support" on BC comes from fellow artists.
                          Unfortunately for us, the days of "making money from my releases" are gone.

Comment

• I would expect real world focus to give better chances of selling albums, in terms of networking and making connections and opening up opportunities + plus it's offering something more tangible than an mp3 file. Internet can complement it though.

When it comes to making money(let alone a living) in arts, Hugh Macleod says:

THE SEX & CASH THEORY: The creative person basically has two kinds of jobs. One is the sexy, creative kind. Second is the kind that pays the bills. Sometimes the task in hand covers both bases, but not often. This tense duality will always play center stage. It will never be transcended.
                            http://changethis.com/manifesto/6.Ho...BeCreative.pdf

(generally success seems to be determined by how well one can navigate crappy economic/industry models and having good exit strategies)
                            Last edited by Ambire Seiche; 02-28-2018, 04:53 PM.
                            | Ambire Seiche - @ Tumblr | @ heart this | @ Sonic Squirrel |
                            | Steeping Mary Net Label

Comment

• Some Spotify news for y'all

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/28/1...usic-streaming

...and Indaba

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...usic-Community
                              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

• Originally posted by almanacs View Post

Unfortunately for us, the days of "making money from my releases" are gone.
                                According to my BC stats, a new album is played quite often in the first 2 weeks. Because it can be found in the news secton of bandcamp or because of the social media, where it is announced (like AO). After that time, it becomes a needle in a haystack. No plays --> no purchase --> no money.

Making money with music reminds me of the gold rush: the miners did not become rich, but those, who sold the pickaxes, the pans and the dynamite.
                                Soundcloud - Youtube - Petroglyph Music - Bandcamp

Comment

Working...
                                X