Going mainstream on the side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going mainstream on the side.

I love ambient, but I also want to explore the mainstream electronic universe a bit. I am a big dubstep fan, and I am really interested in somehow mixing my style into that realm. It is true that it is a pretty crowded style to try and get any attention with, but I kind of want to take it in a different direction.

I am trying to fuse these genres --> Industrial/Glitchhop/Dubstep/IDM so it will be somewhat complex but I have a good idea what I want. I will also FORCE myself to not release anything unfinished from this album to the public until its finished. Then when Im done I'll put it up on beatport or something for people to enjoy and buy.

ALSO I want to write a short story to go with the album, so the music will sort of be the concept album / soundtrack to the story. It will be a futuristic sci-fi horror/thriller set in a post apocalyptic world. ;)

(Yes buy, i need to start earning some money back from all the stuff I spent on software.)

Why mainstream? Well I kind of hear all this stuff and as much as I like the dubstep sounds and styles alot of it is sounding the same. Im not hearing what I want to hear! It also is catchy and I have always wanted to do a Dubstep album.

I was actually thinking of doing a companion CD with the dubstep and having a bunch of ambient tracks. SO you have the RAW edgy sounding stuff and the dreamy/ambient/spooky stuff in a very different package.

It will be a undertaking but I am going to force myself to do this and finish it. I have the tools now I just need to learn and create until something listenable comes out of the chaos.

Anyone else doing anything similar?
    Last edited by V0RT3X; 01-19-2013, 01:38 PM.
    -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

Sounds like a good idea Vort3x!

Not usually the kind of stuff that I listen to... although I did have to produce similar stuff a number of years ago when I was 'moonlighting' for a local studio. But I think it will be very cool if you manage to fuse those different genres and end up with something new.

I especially like the idea of the companion cd. The combined packaging of one disc with the RAW edgy and one disc with the dreamy/ambient/spooky sounds like it could be a real winner.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sequent7

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
      Sounds like a good idea Vort3x!

Not usually the kind of stuff that I listen to... although I did have to produce similar stuff a number of years ago when I was 'moonlighting' for a local studio. But I think it will be very cool if you manage to fuse those different genres and end up with something new.

I especially like the idea of the companion cd. The combined packaging of one disc with the RAW edgy and one disc with the dreamy/ambient/spooky sounds like it could be a real winner.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks! I really want to write something that will tell a story. And I have had this sort of cyberpunk style theme kicking around in my head for a while and I just have to get it out! I am really also interested in the whole process of creating an album too, so this whole thing will be a complete journey for me!

I will be giving my album *in Mp3* away freely to members on AO once it's completed, at least that is the plan

Yah my idea behind the companion Cd is to show the more subtle sides, and to help create an atmosphere for the storyline. I mean some parts of the story are going to be full of action, but I want suspenseful stuff too!

Also I want to connect with some great visual artists and see if i can't get some anime characters drawn, since I am visualizing this entire story in Anime form. I have been inspired by the movie Akira and a few other great anime movies.

Anyhow I won't be putting out anything song wise in this thread, but I"ll update it progress wise with photos, small bits from the story. Just stuff to keep people interested in the project!

Cheers!

Comment

I always wanted to write a book that had companion music along with it.

I was excited when Bowie released Outside, but I was hoping for more than a short story (not disappointed, just was anticipating more). I'd also played with the idea of taking an existing compliation of short stories and composing a piece for each story.

Comment

Awesome!!! I always get stoked to see you go in a new direction... it's going to be a ton of work and dubstep, done right, sure ain't easy. Last night at work one of my students asked me if I could play "Bangarang" on guitar. He's like "Do you know dubstep?" and then almost as quickly as he asked the question he goes, "Of COURSE you know dubstep, DUH!" I'm like...yeah but on electric guitar? Let's do it!!!

So we hammered it out...note for note, wobble bassline for wobble bassline. It was fun...and I have to say that was the first time I've ever listened to that track start to finish. I like how he incorporated guitar into the intro...then whipped out the beats, and the vocals...you should definitely not copy that but take notes on it. As you said, try to make something totally fresh, never been done the way YOU want to do it.

Keep us updated on your progress!!! :thumbsup:
          Synphaera Records
          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Have you listened to Burial? The guy is awesome.
            Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
              Have you listened to Burial? The guy is awesome.
              No checking him out now ;)

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
              Awesome!!! I always get stoked to see you go in a new direction... it's going to be a ton of work and dubstep, done right, sure ain't easy. Last night at work one of my students asked me if I could play "Bangarang" on guitar. He's like "Do you know dubstep?" and then almost as quickly as he asked the question he goes, "Of COURSE you know dubstep, DUH!" I'm like...yeah but on electric guitar? Let's do it!!!

So we hammered it out...note for note, wobble bassline for wobble bassline. It was fun...and I have to say that was the first time I've ever listened to that track start to finish. I like how he incorporated guitar into the intro...then whipped out the beats, and the vocals...you should definitely not copy that but take notes on it. As you said, try to make something totally fresh, never been done the way YOU want to do it.

Keep us updated on your progress!!! :thumbsup:
              I will keep you all updated on this! Im going to make sure I get everything right and not rush out stuff quick like I normally do.

I should look for a classically trained composer to help me a bit, since I want to add some orchestral elements to this as well. I am definitely looking into some good libraries for sounds ;)

Comment

Originally posted by V0RT3X View Post
                I am definitely looking into some good libraries for sounds ;)
                Check out the 8dio stuff...from what I've heard, they are some of the best in the business!!! Kontakt required.

http://www.8dio.com
                Synphaera Records
                Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                  Check out the 8dio stuff...from what I've heard, they are some of the best in the business!!! Kontakt required.

http://www.8dio.com
                  Awesome yah I loved that cello library they have! The one with the skull violin cover! Its seriously badass!

I've also been looking at what Heavyocity has to offer and by the sounds of their demos these guys have alot of great sounds!

Comment

Working...
                  X