• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting read on the BBC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34268474
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

At least, I still buy physical CDs. But I must confess: the first thing, that I do with them, is to convert them to MP3 and put them on my iPad - as long, as there is enough of free space (the upcoming AO compilation will be a real challenge )

This leads to the next problem: "drowning in music". With a few 100 or 1000 € I can do things now, that required an unaffordable studio some years ago. Now each of us can be Klaus Schulze or Brian Eno. That is the good side: the democratization, that makes us independent from record labels and expensive equipment.

The bad side: I am just waiting for the day when I need to unfollow some people on soundcloud, not because I don't like their music or reposts, but just because it's getting too much...

Saw a new album on AO yesterday that looks interesting, saw a new one on Cryo Chamber some days ago, anther one somewhere else last week... Would like to buy/download them all, have 10 or 20 new tracks in my soundcloud stream every day...

I feel that some day in the future I need to be more selective on what I listen and buy/download. That doesn't mean, that I don't appreciate some people's music, but for self-protection...

The worst thing: I am a part of this (feels a bit like visiting Mona Lisa in the museum and complain about the masses of tourists there at the same time... ) - I hope, that many people listen (and like!) my stuff, but I am afraid, that they suffer from the same problems... (at least that would explain, why I have more than 400 followers on soundcloud, but only one of my tracks from the last 6 months exceeds 100 plays...)

And this abundance of music is the point, where the old thing with supply, demand and price comes into play... :frown:
    Latest Album (Sept. 2020): Tenth Region Of The Night
    Soundcloud - Bandcamp - Youtube - Essentia Mundi - Winter-Light

Comment

I read that earlier, interesting read.

I'm not sure if I agree with him about how 3d printing is analogous to the music industry; whereas I can see 3d printers getting a hold in the same way paper printers have already, you can't really say that everyone just makes their own music nowadays. Maybe more people do and it's easier than ever but it's still a tiny minority.

Originally posted by betadecay View Post
      I feel that some day in the future I need to be more selective on what I listen and buy/download. That doesn't mean, that I don't appreciate some people's music, but for self-protection...
      I faced this a decade or so ago. Since I started buying records in the early 80s I must have bought thousands and eventually realised that it was becoming more of a habit; I had dozens of CDs that I simply couldn't remember buying, let alone what the music on them was like. Maybe things are different when you're a teenager and you memorize everything about a record when you get it. To sound all new age hippy about it; I basically 'gave myself permission' to admit I will never hear everything I want and shouldn't feel bad for neglecting certain things. Even before the internet there was more than enough music out there I would never have got around to (though, perversely, it's now easier to hear a lot of this stuff thanks to the internet... )

I just feel grateful for the stuff I do discover nowadays, 'incomplete' as that may be.
      Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by betadecay View Post
        snippety snip
        Hi Stefan

I agree with you all the way... Each and every word.

Comment

Certainly an interesting read, I'm a bit sad that his conclusion is "gigging will save us" which is the same thing that people have been saying since mp3s started getting traction, in the meantime it seems harder for musicians to get their gigs and get people to those gigs.

I guess it's slightly philosophy being slightly detached from reality.
          Ghost Signs - Ambient tape loops and guitars : https://ghostsigns.bandcamp.com https://soundcloud.com/xxiainxx http://facebook.com/xGhostSignsx

Comment

Originally posted by iainx View Post
            "gigging will save us"
            I would agree with that, but I also agree that it's hard for bands to get gigs in the first place... It's definitely a case of having contacts in the game, and on your side.

I was in a band called Flesh-Resonance, that started off as a bedroom project with just two main creative forces (not me). I was asked to join (I worked with the bass player) in order to bring some tech to the table, which allowed us to take a backing track to gigs for stuff that we couldn't play live as a three piece (no drummer).

It was hard work getting gigs, and what gigs we did get were poorly attended. A lot of places wanted you, the band, to purchase 100 tickets, at face value, before you even got a sniff... So you were paying for the privilege of playing, along with up to three other bands.

We weren't that bad, in my opinion... All original material... And in a couple of places we went down pretty well.

Pretty crap situation IMO, and is why I ended up leaving the band and going back to doing my own stuff.

Comment

Jacques Attali....didn't really expect him to pop up in that article, but a cool read . To me the most stunning passage was how record execs told the Hot Chip guy that if only they had started out four years earlier...
              Interesting to think about historical & societal contexts of music production. I think there are still opportunities...it's just for different things, youtube personalities & such for example. But I guess it's nigh impossible to become a new Aphex Twin or Biosphere, etc. in today's climate. Even if you're top-notch musically & skill-wise, it'll be that much harder setting yourself apart. To quote another sage: "I been in the right place, but it must have been the wrong time..."

As for us in the ambient community, a few luminaries aside, I doubt many of the acts we respect ever approached anything ressembling a proper income from their musical endeavors, even during the 'golden years' before the arrival of mp3.
              www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

Working...
              X