By Popular Demand.....The RUSH Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robojam View Post
    First time I heard Rush (2112) I couldn't figure out if the singer was male or female
    Same here. Think it was Xanadu on Tommy Vances annual readers poll show, early 80s. 2112 was also there but think i'd figured it out by the time he played that (or rather realised who it was).
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
      First time I heard Rush (2112) I couldn't figure out if the singer was male or female
      Same here. Think it was Xanadu on Tommy Vances annual readers poll show, early 80s. 2112 was also there but think i'd figured it out by the time he played that (or rather realised who it was).
      You mean the Friday Rock Show? I used to listen to it now and then, but always tried to catch the readers poll. The top 3 for a few years was always Stairway to Heaven followed by 2112 followed by Supper's Ready.

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
        A lot of people don't take to Geddy's vocals
        And I would be one of those people. :p
        "The only thing that means a thing in the end is what you loved, and who you loved, and you let it take you home..."

Comment

You mean the Friday Rock Show? I used to listen to it now and then, but always tried to catch the readers poll. The top 3 for a few years was always Stairway to Heaven followed by 2112 followed by Supper's Ready.
          That's it, the top ten was nearly always the same, think 'Whole Lot of Rosie' and 'Stargazer' were always up there too. I get the impression he dropped it mid 80s as it was always really 'prog' whereas the show was getting thrashier.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Pyne View Post
            Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
            A lot of people don't take to Geddy's vocals
            And I would be one of those people. :p

(jump to 1:35 if you will, I realise Pavement are another 'divisive' band. )

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Ok. Time to shake it up a little. How about - Which Rush track features the best lyrics?

I'll throw Anagram in there for starters.
              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Hmm...

I really love the story-songs, 2112, Fountain of Lamneth, The Necromancer, Hemispheres (with Cygnus X1)....

The Trees is favorite, Xanadu...Natural Science....

Comment

Lyrics? That's pretty difficult, but one that I really like the lyrics for is one that Neil Peart had no part in writing - 'Tears' from 2112 has some great lyrics. Surprised that Geddy Lee didn't write lyrics more often. It's one of those few occasions where a sad song doesn't degenerate into cliches and bad metaphors.

Comment

Yeah, 'Tears' is lovely. Peart is a good wordsmith but he can be a bit dry at times (certainly since the mid 80s imo), maybe tries to squeeze too many 'intellectual' ideas into a five minute song resulting in, well not very lyrical lyrics.

I think he's much better at the long songs where he has room to get all his ideas across (Natural Science for instance).

Anyway, some fave lyrics: Cinderella Man, Different Strings, Lakeside Park, Analog Kid/Digital Man... More recently Time Stand Still and Afterimage are resonating pretty strongly.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

More recently Time Stand Still and Afterimage are resonating pretty strongly.
                      Indeed.

I thought I could identify with Time Stand Still when I was 25. That was half my life ago.

Comment

That's it, the top ten was nearly always the same, think 'Whole Lot of Rosie' and 'Stargazer' were always up there too. I get the impression he dropped it mid 80s as it was always really 'prog' whereas the show was getting thrashier.
                        Yeah, the votes didn't really match what he played on a weekly basis. I have a suspicion that it was only the old hippies who got off their asses to vote. :D

Comment

I always thought that the lyrics for Manhattan Project were very good. Direct and meaningful. A sad indictment of the human condition.

Yeah, Time Stand Still was quite resonant too.
                          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I never understood why the Hold Your Fire album was not that popular. While it sold over time, its chart performance and reviews were disappointing on its release.

'Time Stand Still' is a great track and there are some other really good tracks on there. I always think of it as their last 'synth' album as they keyboards receded quite a bit in the albums that followed.

Grabbed the first 4 albums for my drive to work and back today!

Comment

Long drive?

Comment

I just fell in love.........again

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ul-Axcess.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X