Clear All

• seismic1
    replied
    Interesting article in the Grauniad yesterday:-

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...10-of-the-best

Leave a comment:

• robojam
    replied
    I'm slowly making my way through a collection on CD, so now the only one I don't have up to Grace Under Pressure is All the World's a Stage. I'm thinking I'll get Power Windows and Hold your fire before it though, but once I have all 3 of those that will be all the albums I previously had on vinyl.

Might make my way through some of the later ones a little more slowly after that though.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
    The missus is going out with friends tomorrow, and I haven't played Hemispheres on the new system yet..........:daydream::biggrin:
    I love it when things work out as planned :rockon:

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    I love the last couple of minutes of Hemispheres in particular, such a wonderful wall of droney guitar.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    The missus is going out with friends tomorrow, and I haven't played Hemispheres on the new system yet..........:daydream::biggrin:

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    That is a good one. Certainly the best of all the albums who have a naked man standing on a brain on the cover.

Leave a comment:

• robojam
    replied
    Bought a few CDs last week, one of which was Hemispheres - I haven't owned it since I got rid of all my vinyl in the late 80s!

Leave a comment:

• robojam
    replied
    Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
    Long drive?
    Just saw this... :D

Yes, it's about an hour each way, so I get about 2 hours every day to listen to music. So realistically about half a dozen Rush tracks...

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    Originally posted by robojam View Post
    I never understood why the Hold Your Fire album was not that popular. While it sold over time, its chart performance and reviews were disappointing on its release.

'Time Stand Still' is a great track and there are some other really good tracks on there. I always think of it as their last 'synth' album as they keyboards receded quite a bit in the albums that followed.
    HYF was the last Rush album I bought as it was released. I think I was drifting away from prog in general and it kind of helped that move. I was discovering lots of noisy americans and the fact that a lot of the bands the NME ranted about were pretty darn exciting actually. I wasn't interested in big synths and (imo at the time) bloated songs when Husker Du and Sonic Youth etc were out there.

With hindsight... still not a great fan TSS is a classic, Force Ten, Turn the Page are pretty good, Tai shan (sp) is rather lovely but everything else... just all a bit dull to my ears, none of the great songwriting they previously doled out. Style over substance etc etc.

Saw them live on that tour though and they kicked the proverbial butt so not all bad.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    I just fell in love.........again

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ul-Axcess.aspx

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    Long drive?

Leave a comment:

• robojam
    replied
    I never understood why the Hold Your Fire album was not that popular. While it sold over time, its chart performance and reviews were disappointing on its release.

'Time Stand Still' is a great track and there are some other really good tracks on there. I always think of it as their last 'synth' album as they keyboards receded quite a bit in the albums that followed.

Grabbed the first 4 albums for my drive to work and back today!

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    I always thought that the lyrics for Manhattan Project were very good. Direct and meaningful. A sad indictment of the human condition.

Yeah, Time Stand Still was quite resonant too.

Leave a comment:

• robojam
    replied
    Originally posted by GaryG View Post
    First time I heard Rush (2112) I couldn't figure out if the singer was male or female
    Same here. Think it was Xanadu on Tommy Vances annual readers poll show, early 80s. 2112 was also there but think i'd figured it out by the time he played that (or rather realised who it was).
    You mean the Friday Rock Show? I used to listen to it now and then, but always tried to catch the readers poll. The top 3 for a few years was always Stairway to Heaven followed by 2112 followed by Supper's Ready.
    That's it, the top ten was nearly always the same, think 'Whole Lot of Rosie' and 'Stargazer' were always up there too. I get the impression he dropped it mid 80s as it was always really 'prog' whereas the show was getting thrashier.
    Yeah, the votes didn't really match what he played on a weekly basis. I have a suspicion that it was only the old hippies who got off their asses to vote. :D

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied

More recently Time Stand Still and Afterimage are resonating pretty strongly.
    Indeed.

I thought I could identify with Time Stand Still when I was 25. That was half my life ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X