A Journey to Distant Objects [Berlin School (I think)]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Journey to Distant Objects [Berlin School (I think)]

Okay Peeps, after much hype (in the off topic forum) I have now completed my latest creation, A Journey to Distant Objects.

This is a kind of Berlin School piece. Lots of sequencer stuff with some ambience in between. And it is twenty five minutes long.

Although I have attempted Berlin School stuff before, Journey was a much bigger undertaking for me, not just because of the length of the track. There is still no real structure, in the traditional sense, but I think that most Berlin School stuff is like that. And everything is in one key. I really don't see the point of key changes in my work... It's not something I look for when listening to music myself. In fact, in "pop" music I sometimes detest those "key change" moments.

A big thanks to the couple of Peeps that provided some much needed input on this project in its early days.

And here is the link:-

I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Lovely work Andy, great flow, love some of the tones you use, killer live work if you ever do it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by blackivan View Post
      Lovely work Andy, great flow, love some of the tones you use
      Thank you very much, Ivan

killer live work if you ever do it :-)
      A very frightening concept!

Comment

I liked a good deal of this, surprisingly since there is a lot of Johnny One Note in this. But overall you gave me more to sink my teeth into this time.
        The sound was very good and balanced well. I liked the reverb. I'll give it another listen to pick up what I may have missed the first time `round.
        "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
        Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

Thank you very much, Ivan

A very frightening concept!
          no need to be frightened .. if i can you can LOL

Comment

Sounds great to me, very nice sequencers,and I'm old fan of Berlin school

Comment

I like it. But I haven’t been able to properly enjoy it yet. Gonna don the cans tonight and give a real listen.
              Great work!

Comment

Hi Barry

Originally posted by annode View Post
                I liked a good deal of this, surprisingly since there is a lot of Johnny One Note in this.
                Yes, I'm sorry about that. I should have explained in my original post that the whole piece centres around a couple of drone tracks that run for the whole twenty five minutes. It is what it is, and is where I am at with my music at the moment.

But overall you gave me more to sink my teeth into this time.
                I am glad to hear that. I would have been most disappointed if you had said otherwise, considering the length of the piece.

The sound was very good and balanced well.
                A great compliment. I hope you still think the same on your second listen.

I liked the reverb.
                Thanks. I still used a "Large" Cathedral type reverb for this but I tried to dial it down a bit this time.

Adaptiverb also features, as always, and I used fader automation to bring it in and out of the mix in the hope that it didn't overpower it.

I'll give it another listen to pick up what I may have missed the first time `round.
                Thanks again for you time, I appreciate it.

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by havdis View Post
                  Sounds great to me, very nice sequencers,and I'm old fan of Berlin school
                  Thank you very much Havdis

Comment

Originally posted by windspace View Post
                    I like it. But I haven’t been able to properly enjoy it yet. Gonna don the cans tonight and give a real listen.
                    Great work!
                    Thanks, Bruce

I hope your "like" turns into "enjoy" once you have listened on the old cans

cheers

andy

Comment

It did!

Comment

So much one could write about a 25 minute song. I really enjoyed the journey this piece takes you on. I'm an amateur astronomy buff and could easily imagine this piece as backdrop of a video tour of the cosmos. Appreciated your sonic choices, especially the reverb space you put everything. Adjectives I'd use are soft, warm, intimate. I appreciate how you added and subtracted elements to maintain interest.
                        https://soundcloud.com/atm0spher1c
                        https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...m?bandID=78649

Comment

I don't see how this is not ambient? At any rate, this is not completely 'structureless', as evidenced by the sequences. You have really welded a lot of sound together in a great way with this- and I'm listening on 'cans', as windspace puts it. Really love the guitar phrases you added, esp at the end.

The mix is great! Enjoying this. Well done!

EDIT:

I think the thing with key changes, esp in a piece like this is that they take place in a way that doesn't jar the listener from the 'space' it has created, and I try to do my key changes in a harmonious way, where it ends up fitting the piece rather than completely changing the mood. But I don't mind single key pieces like this, as there is a variety of other sounds in the mix that keeps it interesting. This piece makes me think of the old new age stuff in the 70's being done by artists like Steve HIllage, and the Orb.
                          Last edited by Sonic Bodhi; 08-17-2019, 10:30 AM.
                          https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
                          https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
                          https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Originally posted by windspace View Post
                            It did!
                            Excellent

Comment

Hi Eric

Originally posted by atm0spher1c View Post
                              So much one could write about a 25 minute song
                              Yes, I know what you mean! Sorry about that

I really enjoyed the journey this piece takes you on. I'm an amateur astronomy buff and could easily imagine this piece as backdrop of a video tour of the cosmos. Appreciated your sonic choices, especially the reverb space you put everything. Adjectives I'd use are soft, warm, intimate. I appreciate how you added and subtracted elements to maintain interest.
                              Thanks, I really appreciate you listening to the whole piece.

Because "Journey" is essentially a drone, and pretty much without any real structure (apart from the "sections"), I totally rely on bringing stuff in and out, changing slightly each time.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

cheers

andy

Comment

Working...
                              X