Whatsisname - Occultation - The Album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatsisname - Occultation - The Album

My first album, Occultation, is finally available on Bandcamp after what seems like (and probably was) an eternity.

This was definitely a long term project, although I had no idea that it would ever be released when I began the process of writing these tracks back in November 2009.

I hope you enjoy it.

or on SoundCloud:-

Last edited by seismic1; 11-16-2015, 05:39 PM.
    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Congratulations Tim - looking forward to listening to this later today
    My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
    Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Thanks very much for that Mike :thumbsup:

Looking forward to hearing what you thought of it, particularly the track ordering. I had a specific goal in mind when arranging that aspect of the album. Actually, I lean towards placing my favourite tracks towards the end anyway, but sometimes setting up moods and pacing can interfere with that. For this realease, the decisions were not particularly difficult.
      Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Hey Tim,
        I really enjoyed this album - and it totally works as a proper album, not just a random collection of tracks. The quality of mixing is what I've come to expect from you - flawless

It's obvious you put a lot of thought into the sequencing: 'Breath' is the perfect opener: with its classic tactic of introducing the layers one by one, you get the feeling you're also being introduced to the album. Then you let the pace ebb and flow a bit with the following tracks, building up to the closer 'Divide and Conquer'. Again, the perfect choice for closing track: the final section really motors along and it's just terrifically exciting. I bet when you were mixing this bit you must have felt like running out into the street, shouting 'Listen to this! Listen to this!' - I know I would've :D

You should be tremendously proud of this album - it deserves to be a great success
        My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
        Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Hey Mike,

Thanks very much for the great comments, and for putting my mind at rest regarding the track ordering :thumbsup: I thought I got it right, but was concerned that the pacing might not have been to everybody's liking.

Yeah, Divide and Conquer was a special time for me. It's still my favourite whatsisname piece. The recording came together very quickly, geologically speaking, but it was a difficult track to mix. I think it took 11 hours to put the music together. The hard work took place during the 4 mixes made over a 12 month period. I think I spent about 25 hours on those in total.

The next track I recorded was Qattara, and events subsequent to that proved to be a useful lesson in futility

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Comment

I started listening and about 5 seconds into 'Breath'...I bought the album! This is really great work and I am definitely adding it to my commute music rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post
              I started listening and about 5 seconds into 'Breath'...I bought the album! This is really great work and I am definitely adding it to my commute music rotation.
              Thanks very much for the great comments. I'm really pleased that you liked it :biggrin:

5 seconds? Wow! I'm gonna go dig that patch out again The only synth on Breath is GTG 44S. Superior Drummer and my Squier Jazz Bass Active IV complete the instrumental roster.

Thanks again for your support, and please drive carefully. Especially during the second half of the album

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                ...and please drive carefully. Especially during the second half of the album
                My solution for the second half of the album...is...to...CRANK IT UP!! :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post
                  Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                  ...and please drive carefully. Especially during the second half of the album
                  My solution for the second half of the album...is...to...CRANK IT UP!! :rockon:
                  That ought to do it. Glad to hear that you're still enjoying this :thumbsup:

Comment

I just saw that the album has had a review at makeyourowntaste.com. It's a very good site, displaying exemplary taste, containing lots of interesting articles and reviews covering ambient and other genres, and I am often to be found frequenting the Prog conversations over there.

The review can be found here:-

http://makeyourowntaste.com/2014/08/...audio-revue-2/

I was blown away with some of the associations made in the review. I'm currently floating around the house, approximately 6 inches above the ground. All this on my wedding anniversary too.

[sleuthmode]

Incidentally, this page also contains a great review of an album made by another member of the illustrious AO clan.

[/sleuthmode]

Comment

Nice one Tim, that's a cracking review, and well deserved. Obviously a site of rare taste and the owner is a damn nice fella too (if you haven't already, check out his recent album 'Near North' - his artist name is The Gateless Gate - very classy acoustic/ambient)

[coymode]
                      Wonder who this other dude is....
                      [/coymode]
                      :D

Comment

Congrats! Great review. Happy for you

Comment

Thanks very much, guys What really surprised me about this was that I didn't submit an album for review. I'm not sure whether the proprietor is a lurker here or on KVR, but I doubt whether he has much time with all of his other activities. I think he must seen/heard the album on Twitter.

Listening to Xinjiang (The Gateless Gate) now.

Comment

Working...
                          X