Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hobgoblin - Novoid (Prog-Rock from the Seismic archive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobgoblin - Novoid (Prog-Rock from the Seismic archive)

Here is a track recorded by Hobgoblin in 1980, when Chicken and Mushroom Pot Noodle was essential rehearsal studio nourishment. I salvaged this from a 35 year-old stereo transcription of the original multi-track tape. I'm not sure whether that still exists. I transferred this from my Yamaha KX 580 SE with Goldwave and its hiss-removal facility. I then loaded the audio into EnergyXT to adjust the panning and removed some low-end with T-Racks EQ-PG.

I hope you guys and gals enjoy it
    Last edited by seismic1; 11-22-2015, 11:24 AM.
    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Certainly did enjoy it! Sounds great for 35 year old cassette BTW, what synth was the lead played on?

Comment

Am just listening now. Refreshing stuff seis. Is always nice to listen to something totally different. Like listening to only one type of music or style/genre- well I feel it is not good for the soul. But yeh a little smile grew on my face when I read your explanatory of the 35 year old tape. I have always reached for my old cassette tapes. Taking snippits from them. Then looping the snippits/re-editing them and so forth. Its great fun to.

I have also often found tapes with the audio tape broke-so I will get my tiny screwdriver and take the cassette apart and ever so carefully reconnect the broken tape/then delicately wrapping the audio tape around those little plastic wheels-screwing the cassette back again and hoping for that lovely end result being the cassette will play again :D

Spot on m8 :tu:
      life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Comment

was very nice to listen to.. well done man !!

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post
          Certainly did enjoy it! Sounds great for 35 year old cassette BTW, what synth was the lead played on?
          Thanks very much for checking this one out, Windspace. Glad you enjoyed it I've had that cassette sitting on various shelves for a very long time. It was about time I made a "backup"

The synth was a Korg Micro Preset M500. Something like this:-

http://www.synthmania.com/micro-preset.htm
          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by richy tronik View Post
            Am just listening now. Refreshing stuff seis. Is always nice to listen to something totally different. Like listening to only one type of music or style/genre- well I feel it is not good for the soul. But yeh a little smile grew on my face when I read your explanatory of the 35 year old tape. I have always reached for my old cassette tapes. Taking snippits from them. Then looping the snippits/re-editing them and so forth. Its great fun to.

I have also often found tapes with the audio tape broke-so I will get my tiny screwdriver and take the cassette apart and ever so carefully reconnect the broken tape/then delicately wrapping the audio tape around those little plastic wheels-screwing the cassette back again and hoping for that lovely end result being the cassette will play again :D

Spot on m8 :tu:
            Thanks for taking the time to listen to this, Richy. Glad you enjoyed it

My main reason for doing this was to get the audio into the digital domain. Tapes are not a particularly robust storage medium, especially when they are this old. I ripped a wma copy of this about 9 years ago, but that was before I got back into making music, so now the time was right to make a .wav and perform some basic processing. I had been trying to get permission from the songwriter to post this, but only recently got hold of him via Twitter. Today, he put me in touch with the keyboard player, who is now making occasional ambient pieces.

Here is a notoriety shot of the live band:-

[IMG][/IMG]

The T-Shirt is priceless

Comment

Mmmmmm nice bit of prog, Tim. Good job of restoration too, although I'm guessing the original was well-recorded in the first place, judging by the separation. Do you have any more of this archive material? I'm afraid I've been ruthless in the past when clearing out rooms/moving house etc, and now I regret it :(
              My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
              Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Originally posted by Gloomer View Post
                was very nice to listen to.. well done man !!
                Thanks very much for checking this out, Gloomer. Glad you liked it

I hope to post another track from the same session in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Thought Experiment View Post
                  Mmmmmm nice bit of prog, Tim. Good job of restoration too, although I'm guessing the original was well-recorded in the first place, judging by the separation. Do you have any more of this archive material? I'm afraid I've been ruthless in the past when clearing out rooms/moving house etc, and now I regret it :(
                  Thanks very much for listening, Mike. Glad you enjoyed it. The original recording was reasonable, although I always felt that it was a little hurried. The cassette that I took the audio from wasn't in too bad a condition, but it did contain a lot of hiss. There is one other track available from the same session/cassette, which I hope to put up in a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X