Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender stuff

Hi Peeps,

There is a topic generally based around video creation here but I wanted to have some discussion specifically about Blender and thought it would fit better in the Other Member Art sub-forum.

I have only really just tried playing with it again because of what Kari recently posted here.

And I know that Benedict Roff-Marsh does some Blender stuff with his partner, Jane which he mentions here.

What I want to use this topic for is to discuss stuff like where to find tutorials on specific tasks and to share any of our experimentations.

This morning I came across this tutorial on using the Ocean modifier and thought I'd have a go at something. Of course, thinking up something that is going to be even half interesting is more the problem, so I decided to start with a single plane, which I applied the modifier too, and then placed a 3D representation of my synkrotron logo such that it gets covered with the waves every now and then. I thought the end result was quite interesting an I may attempt to come up with a longer version of the same idea but with more elements.

This is just a one minute snippet:-

And this was the specific tutorial that I watched:-

I'm sure there are many other tutorials on Oceans but that was enough to get me going.

cheers

andy
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Thanks for this post Andy. I downloaded Blender and sort of glanced at it a long while back but never spent any time with it as I didn't see an immediate application for me. Your video has reignited my interest. You've already given me an idea to try out, but I've no real idea if I can create what I am imagining at all...if it does work I will certainly share it.

Good idea to have a Blender thread!

Comment

If the music is an indicator of the upcoming album, I'm already putting it in my 'wish list'..the video stuff looks good!
      https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
      https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
      https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
      https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Hi Bruce

Originally posted by windspace View Post
        You've already given me an idea to try out, but I've no real idea if I can create what I am imagining at all...if it does work I will certainly share it.
        Yes, that can be a problem haha!

It would be worth sharing that idea here at some point just in case someone has some guidance on that, and you don't mind giving away your creative secrets

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Bodhi View Post
          If the music is an indicator of the upcoming album, I'm already putting it in my 'wish list'..the video stuff looks good!
          I'm afraid that the music I used was a very brief idea of a patch I made on my modular back in 2018 and will not be appearing on my next album. Sorry

Comment

Thanks for the mention. Blender is fun - when Jane uses it. I tell her what to fix and it gets done - or else (I go without dinner). Blender is not for the faint of heart which is why I let Jane use that and Jane lets me use Hit Film & Reason.

There are a lot of Tuts to get you started. Blender Guru on YouTube is apparently da man (Jane used to work with him in some IT sweatshop in another eon). There is big Blender Group on FB too but like any group take care as all too often the focus is on technicalities over deliverable results.

This page is a quick primer on what we have achieved in a few months (since the beginning of COVID Lockdown when Jane started Blendering). This is a pretty big output so don't expect that you will get this far if you don't have a strong passion & focus. The big bits of advice we have is to not get trapped in details. Blender is not about obsessing over tiny technicalities like perfection but a way to tell Stories. We work on keeping the focus on the story foremost so we can get results instead of bogging down in whether Egg Head Ted has fingers or not. So long as we can tell the story, it is ready.

https://www.unigonplane.com/3D_Art.html

:-)
            Benedict Roff-Marsh
            Bandcamp:
            https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com/
            YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BenedictRoffMarsh/videos

Comment

Since quarantine started, I've gotten super into Blender thanks to my partner Don who's now using it to create covers and art assets for Synphaera and Exosphere. In fact, our banner for Material Soundsets on the top of this very page...created in Blender! Also, all of our covers for Material Soundsets including my own Ancient Technology...all Blender.

Here's some of my own work. Nothing to write home about yet...but I know I'm off to a good start. I studied a bit of 3D in college but that's long been forgotten. I'm basically starting from scratch.

Synphaera Records
              Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Oh and BTW, my favorite guys on YouTube for Blender are Josh Gambrell, Ponte Ryuurui, Ducky3D, Curtis Holt, MasterXeon1001, Default Cube...the list goes on.
                Synphaera Records
                Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                  Oh and BTW, my favorite guys on YouTube for Blender are Josh Gambrell, Ponte Ryuurui, Ducky3D, Curtis Holt, MasterXeon1001, Default Cube...the list goes on.
                  I've been working a lot with Mandelbulb 3D fractal rendering program lately, but based on your stuff, I'm downloading this.. I've worked a lot with 3D programs in the past, Bryce, 3DS Max, and others, but never came up with anything like this. One album cover I did in the last few years using Vue Xstream- Yours is much better!

https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
                  https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
                  https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Originally posted by Benedict Roff-Marsh View Post
                    Blender Guru on YouTube is apparently da man
                    Yes, I've bookmarked the Blender Guru channel. Only problem is sometimes he, and others, have to assume that the view is already well versed in the workings of Blender so someone like me has to delve deep into their stuff to find stuff suitable for noobs like me.

This page is a quick primer on what we have achieved in a few months (since the beginning of COVID Lockdown when Jane started Blendering). This is a pretty big output so don't expect that you will get this far if you don't have a strong passion & focus. The big bits of advice we have is to not get trapped in details. Blender is not about obsessing over tiny technicalities like perfection but a way to tell Stories. We work on keeping the focus on the story foremost so we can get results instead of bogging down in whether Egg Head Ted has fingers or not. So long as we can tell the story, it is ready.
                    Thanks for the link again. I have already watched some of Jane's Blender work. Some amazing stuff there. And what you say about Egg Head Ted's fingers is so true... The devil may well be in the detail but not in the case of something like characters like Ted. Like you say, it is the telling of the story which is more important.

Passion and focus is something that I can pick up quite quickly, depending what ever I am doing starts to make sense. If something is evading me, though, I will drop pretty quickly. Considering my first sojourn in Blender some years ago, where I just sat there looking at the screen saying, WTF, I am pleasantly surprised at how far I have got.

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                      Here's some of my own work. Nothing to write home about yet...but I know I'm off to a good start. I studied a bit of 3D in college but that's long been forgotten. I'm basically starting from scratch.
                      Wow! S1gnsOfL1fe ! Those models look amazing

Did you create those models completely from a blank slate?

How many hours have you put into Blender so far, would you say?

I wouldn't know where to even start with those corridors. My output is going to me more abstract I think, but I'd love to do something like that. Something like that last image, definitely a goal for me

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Bodhi View Post

I've been working a lot with Mandelbulb 3D fractal rendering program lately, but based on your stuff, I'm downloading this.. I've worked a lot with 3D programs in the past, Bryce, 3DS Max, and others, but never came up with anything like this.
                        That's a nice looking environment you have built there Sonic

Regarding Madelbulb 3D. I think you are using the same one as me. I think there are two different Mandelbulb 3D generation applications out there.

Yesterday I successfully exported a Mandelbulb 3D fractal model and imported it into Blender. Well, I say "successfully," but the quality wasn't that great. I think it it was a more "organic" fractal then it wouldn't be so bad. But because I was exporting my Menger4 which is a "simple" looking box shape the results were not as good as I had hoped. That said, I probably should have increased the detail level and left the software exporting for an hour or more. I only left it for twenty minutes.

If you are interested I can go into more detail about the export/import process.

cheers

andy

Comment

Yes the learning curve and effort required to get anything passably controllable yet useful is a bit prohibitive when I have a real passion already. Each of the 2D+ vignettes for Gardens of Merging Waters took 1-2 days; not time I resent but not all I hope for either.

I'd love to find a way to generate procedural landscapes and then make walk/fly-throughs. Most times I see animations they are lovely but so short. My music doesn't operate in 15-30 second snippets.

The 48 min animation Jane made for me for Voice Of Space is great but I want to be more able to be in control of making those spaces myself (Jane has her own things too)

Blender may be powerful but I want something that is more like a procedural game engine where I can give it some rules about climate, put the waterfall over there, and it creates a world I can move through.

:-)
                          Benedict Roff-Marsh
                          Bandcamp:
                          https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com/
                          YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BenedictRoffMarsh/videos

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                            Hi Peeps,

This is just a one minute snippet:-

Well, you got hang of it pretty quick it seems :DD Nice job!

Also, great that you started this thread! It's interesting to see what others have made with Blender and I believe we can give each other some ideas.

Comment

S1gnsOfL1fe:

Those renders are kinda mind blowing!

Comment

Working...
                              X