Blender stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
    The "darkness" comments could simply be due to the settings on the various devices. I know that I have the brightness settings turned down on my phone 'cos it makes a big difference to the battery usage.

When I was working, I used to get constantly called to people's desks because their monitors weren't producing the display quality they hoped for. Even allowing for differences in setup of individual monitors, everybody's eyes see things differently.
    Oops... Another post I forgot to respond to! Sorry Tim.

Good points. I remember now that I have turned down the brightness setting on my phone for the reason you mention.
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

Hi Sonic, I have just realised that I missed your last post here.

Yes, I am sure I have done the monitor calibration thing. The problem may be that I have a gaming monitor and not an IPS monitor which is better for graphics work I believe.

cheers,

andy
      Interesting.. I didnt realise they made monitors specifically for gaming.
      https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
      https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
      https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
      https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Bodhi View Post

Interesting.. I didnt realise they made monitors specifically for gaming.
        Yes, you can get monitors suited to specific tasks. I'm no expert, though, and in the past I have got what ever monitor I thought was okay, regardless of what I wanted to do with it. It was only when I started to use proper graphics programs, where you can set up "colour spaces," did I realise there was a difference.

Comment

Another test thing.

I've still not sussed out how to loop keyframes so this thing had each and every movement done manually for the short thirty seconds test:-

Up to now most of my stuff has been static, apart for one where something opens up.

This morning I created a 3D scene which consisted of sixty vertical "worms" which bent around hither and thither.

I then thought, I wonder if I could bring those worms to life.

So I did. But just for one worm in a new project.

I put it into a cage because without that it is difficult to tell that the camera is orbiting the subject:-

Not a finished project, of course, but I wish to incorporate something similar into an upcoming ten minute long production.

cheers

andy

Comment

Another test thing.

I put it into a cage because without that it is difficult to tell that the camera is orbiting the subject:-

andy
            Another 'test' from you and another 'wow' from my mind/mouth :D

That thing looks scary - I think it's great that you put it in a cage ;)

Have been messing around with this and that, testing something in Blender, but haven't finished anything. Have also had too many things to do outside Blender. Mostly work, so I guess that's a positive problem :D

However, I'm going to post something as soon as I find time to do that.
            Coming up (sooner or later):

Cube part 2 (!) (already partly in 'post-production' if you will)
            Ocean / sunset (loop)
            Another metal cage story

In addition, I have tried making some procedural landscapes. But the thing is, my computer is kinda old and making stuff in Cycles is a bit painful. Rendering one image takes minutes and more, depending on sample rate. Still, sooner or maybe later I'll put on some slideshow. :D

Comment

Originally posted by sonikronik View Post

Another 'test' from you and another 'wow' from my mind/mouth :D
              Thank you

That thing looks scary - I think it's great that you put it in a cage ;)
              My missus thought I was being a bit cruel caging the thing up like that haha

Have been messing around with this and that, testing something in Blender, but haven't finished anything. Have also had too many things to do outside Blender. Mostly work, so I guess that's a positive problem :D

However, I'm going to post something as soon as I find time to do that.
              Coming up (sooner or later):

Cube part 2 (!) (already partly in 'post-production' if you will)
              Ocean / sunset (loop)
              Another metal cage story

In addition, I have tried making some procedural landscapes. But the thing is, my computer is kinda old and making stuff in Cycles is a bit painful. Rendering one image takes minutes and more, depending on sample rate. Still, sooner or maybe later I'll put on some slideshow. :D
              Excellent

I look forward to seeing what stuff you come up with

My computer isn't exactly old as I only had it put together about 20 months or so ago. But even though it's an i9 based machine I only installed a GTX 1050 Ti graphics card because it is near silent and I wasn't intending to do this kind of graphics work on it.

So, yeah,Cycles is a complete no go for me and everything up to now has been Eevee.

I'm currently rendering another test which is a minute long.

I worked on the theme of the worm thing but this time there are three, and no cage. I wanted to see how much effort it would take to animate multiple worms in a scene. It took around twenty minutes per worm, unfortunately. Perhaps my workflow isn't up to speed yet.

For the video I posted above I manually animated the worm movements. What I have done this time is used the Noise modifier in the Graph Editor. It took me ages of messing around, experimenting with different methods. I wanted to see if I could get away with just one "asset" (model) of the worm but use many links, but it doesn't look as though you can create the required proxy objects for the same asset. It might be a naming issue or I may have done something wrong.

In the end I went for a model for each linked instance in the main scene. And I now think that that is the better option because that will allow me to have a slightly different mesh for each worm.

As well as the three worms I added two abstract models I have been creating over the last week or so, just to make it a little bit more interesting. And I also added a plane mesh and put the Ocean modifier on it.

It looks quite comical, again, because it looks like three hot dog sausages dancing in a vat of molten chocolate.

I'll post the finished thing once I have it on YouTube.

cheers

andy

Comment

Okay, here goes...

Don't forget to bring some popcorn

There's some more info in the video description but I'll copy that to here:-

Took some time to suss this out, including playing around with "weight painting." In the end I gave up on that and parented the mesh to the armature using the easy method.

I used the Noise modifier to animate the movements of the worms. The original worm was moving wildly from side to side and I was struggling to tame that properly. Either it was moving too much or hardly at all.

So I tried putting extra bones in between the bones that were animated. Those extra bones had all their rotations totally restricted which means that regardless of the angle of rotation of each animated bone, the tendency to suddenly dive to one side was pretty much eliminated. So, a result there.

I may experiment further with different lengths of animated and non-animated bones. currently the animated bone is 0.8 metres long and the non-animated bone is 0.2 metres long. I'm now wondering if a 50/50 ration would have looked better.

The other background stuff are results of recent experimentations using a combination of the Wireframe and Subdivision modifiers and I threw them in there to add a little bit of "interest." And then there's the plane mesh with the Ocean modifier.

Comment

This is the kind of stuff I like best about rendering. Making things that aren't real but could be once we apply our imaginations.

:-)
                  Benedict Roff-Marsh
                  Bandcamp:
                  https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com/
                  YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BenedictRoffMarsh/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Benedict Roff-Marsh View Post
                    This is the kind of stuff I like best about rendering. Making things that aren't real but could be once we apply our imaginations.
                    Thank you Benedict, yes

It really is the way I have to go simply because anything that I create will be so far removed from what we see on our planet haha.

Anyway, having spent all yesterday on that worms thing I was wondering what to do next.

So while I was having my breakfast I watched a couple of CG Geek and Ducky 3D videos. This particular video sparked a few ideas:-

But only for the Simple Deform and Curve modifiers. I haven't used either of those modifiers yet so I thought I'd give them a go with my next experiment.

Nate (Ducky 3D) uses a cube to create his extruded cylinder but I decided to stick to a cylinder. Just as broad as long...

Having twisted the cylinder and extruded it along a circular path I then stripped away a load of faces around the circumference to give me a spiral track. I then thought I'd be able to use the Solidify modifier to give the cylinder wall some thickness but it didn't work properly for some reason. I tried all the usual applying of transforms stuff but that didn't help. So I had to create another slightly smaller cylinder to create the inner wall, stripping away the same faces, flipping the normals so that they pointed to the inside, and then joined the outer and inner cylinders so that I could add additional faces in Edit mode. I then added a wire frame modifier and followed that up with a Subdivision modifier, as per usual.

I then created an object consisting of a cylinder and a sphere which I animate so that it follows the track in the main cylinder.

And then finally I added some "atom" like objects, a yellow one which travels around the main cylinder in a clockwise direction, and a red one which travels in an anti-clockwise direction at a slightly slower speed.

I could have got my calculator out but couldn't be bothered doing the "math" so I manually tweaked the animations of the atoms so that the crossed a certain number of times in so many seconds. That worked out so that the atoms cross each other, or "collide" seven times before repeating the same sequence. I used a Cycles modifier in the Graph editor to extrapolate out the animation curves.

What you will also see is that each time the atoms collide there is a bright flash. I at first achieved this by positioning a point light at each of the seven points where the atoms collide. I then animated the brightness of those lights going from zero watts to 7000 watts just at the moment when the collision occurs. But I felt there was something lacking so I added two more point lights, one parented to the yellow atom and one to the red atom and made those flash at the same time as the other collision point lights. Both the stationary collision point lights and the ones that are parented to the atoms go from full brightness to zero over three frames. I probably could have extended that slightly I suppose. But the way it is now, it sort of looks like that the flash extends slightly past the collision point.

There's a little bit more to it than that, but it all gets a bit boring. So if there is anything specific you would like to know, just shout.

Finally, here's the latest vid:-

On to the next experiment

Comment

That is really cool. Jane wandered in as it was playing and said, "oh that's really good".

:-)
                      Benedict Roff-Marsh
                      Bandcamp:

Comment

That is really cool. Jane wandered in as it was playing and said, "oh that's really good".
                        Wow! Thank you very much, to you and Jane too

It was fun to do.

My current little project is taking some time... More sussing out as I try slightly new things.

I have still to put in the required time into working with proper lights, materials and atmospheric stuff but I'm working my way slowly towards that.

My next one minute snippet is currently rendering...

Comment

Another one:-

Again, very abstract and unreal. It looks like it should be doing something but I've no idea what it is.

Each new little project is presenting new challenges.

This one was a pain to get that up and down thing track correctly in those slots. There's probably a way of doing it with inverse kinematics but I am still struggling to get my head around the Bones stuff in Blender. Inverse kinematics was a little bit easier to understand in 3DS MAX, as far as I can remember.

So I had to spend a lot of time in the graph editor tweaking the curves and trying different variations of linear and Bezier curves. I was able to eliminate some keyframes by the time I had finished. Not that too many keyframes are bad. I just prefer to let the "tweens" do their thing as much as possible.

Lighting and material is the usual stuff... I will get on to working out how to improve that once I have gathered enough elements together to go into my "Blockbuster..."

cheers, and thanks for sticking with me on my Blender journey

Comment

Another one:-

Again, very abstract and unreal. It looks like it should be doing something but I've no idea what it is.

Each new little project is presenting new challenges.

This one was a pain to get that up and down thing track correctly in those slots. There's probably a way of doing it with inverse kinematics but I am still struggling to get my head around the Bones stuff in Blender. Inverse kinematics was a little bit easier to understand in 3DS MAX, as far as I can remember.

So I had to spend a lot of time in the graph editor tweaking the curves and trying different variations of linear and Bezier curves. I was able to eliminate some keyframes by the time I had finished. Not that too many keyframes are bad. I just prefer to let the "tweens" do their thing as much as possible.

Lighting and material is the usual stuff... I will get on to working out how to improve that once I have gathered enough elements together to go into my "Blockbuster..."

cheers, and thanks for sticking with me on my Blender journey
                            It looks like the Ducky 3D tutorial really helped you out a lot on your lighting! the objects in the video are much more visible now- although I would like to see something with a lighter background in the future- your progress has been nothing short of amazing, and I'm afraid I'll never be able to catch up with you!
                            Last edited by Sonic Bodhi; 09-22-2020, 11:12 AM.
                            https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
                            https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
                            https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

I succumbed and opened Blender again. I don't really like being beaten and I still like the idea of being able to make things.

I rendered a Donut based on Blender Guru's tutorials. Probably my first and last real-world object. I have enough of reality on daily basis. I see no sense in making more of it. :-)

Final Do Nut.png
                              Benedict Roff-Marsh
                              Bandcamp:

Comment

I succumbed and opened Blender again. I don't really like being beaten and I still like the idea of being able to make things.
                                Nice one Benedict

I rendered a Donut based on Blender Guru's tutorials.
                                Yes, I saw that one, and a whole bunch of other from Mr Price. He has some great tutorials although I sometimes feel that they are intended for a more "educated" audience. I find I have to do a lot of pausing, trying, and rewinding.

In fact that is pretty much the same for a lot of tutorials I watch. It may just be me who is a bit dim witted nowadays but the sometimes go too fast for me.

I have enough of reality on daily basis. I see no sense in making more of it
                                My thoughts exactly, although it is also a cop out on my behalf because I can't ever see me getting to the point where I can create some of the stuff that I am currently looking at over at blenderartists.org

I signed up there the other day with the intention of picking a few brains. I have yet to assault them with my own stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X