Chris Watson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Watson

I'm sure many of you have heard of the guy, but this quick little video was quite the awesome way to wake up this morning...But the applications of field recording to explore our world in a way we often neglect is a great way to not only get back in touch with the world, but help stimulate our ideas for creating music.

What adventurous places have YOU been to record; would like to go to; have created music from?...

cheers!
    ap
    https://soundcloud.com/audiophalanx

I've collected sounds in asian metropoles like Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Honkong, Taipei and Shanghai and made a full soundtrack/filmscore out of those recordings for the film Trip to Asia, a cinema documentary about the Berlin philharmonic orchestra. Then I've been on another film tour through russia by train, 15 cities in 3 weeks collecting the sound of russia, actually we made two journeys to Russia in 2011, the first one took us to Sibiria and the Ural, visiting steel factories, harbours and coal mines with some amazing industrial sounds to collect there. Then I frequently go out into the woods or open fileds to record birds and other animals, railroads, motorways, football stadiums, zoos, the seaside - there is music everywhere.

Homepage

Comment

What kind of field recorder do you/have you used?
      https://soundcloud.com/audiophalanx

Comment

Originally posted by audiophalanx View Post
        What kind of field recorder do you/have you used?
        Currently I'm using a Tascam HD-P2 recorder, before I used a Marantz PMD671 (and a portable Tascam DAT before that and a NAGRA before that), the Tascam has much better preamps though. Very important are the mics - I record most stuff with t boom-mounted Sennheiser MKH 70 shotguns, so 2 mics in cages with Sennheiser windshields one one boom. Then I also have a small H2 Zoom for quick and dirty field recordings, the inbuilt mics are pretty good and it can record 4 tracks at once (2x stereo) via 4 inbuilt mics. Sometimes I also use electret in-ear mics for binaural recordings and I also have an Audiotechnica stereo mic for closeups or when using a boom is overkill.

Homepage

Comment

I so want a Cabaret Voltaire reunion + new music w/ the original trio.
          Ascendant Bandcamp // SoundCloud // FaceBook // Twitter

Comment

Working...
          X