Touching The Void

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touching The Void

I just wanted to say since joining here nearly a week ago I have been checking out the podcasts and the sample voting threads and I am totally overwhelmed at the amount of talent in here. It took me a long time finding my true identity in dark ambient and I have never joined an actual forum before based on that, but since being here I have felt a real closeness to the music. I am a painter of abstract stuff, mainly just messing about with me paints, but the music on here inspires me so much. Of course I have always found dark ambient to be a great inspiration for when I am painting, but being here kind of makes me feel like am closer somehow, connected more, since being here I have focused more deeply on my music, drones/soundscapes ect.

I have made so much stuff before today, in different genres you know, but over the years I have always known deep down in me that I still wasen't really that satisfied with what I was making/listening to, then I got into watching low budget horror films and that was it, I was totally hooked on the atmospheric haunty music in them and I knew from then that is what I wanted to create, I absolutely get a real kick out of the music in horror films, Its almost indescribable the feeling I always get when listening to dark ambient. its the best stuff ever.

Over the years I have never once done anything with my music, like its always been hidden from the world, people/friends/family have often said you should get your music out m8, but I have always felt that it wasen't ready you know, I once did a compilation in 2010 I called Enigma, of course its very ambient, some pieces with vocal samples taken from films, that sort of thing, like there is stuff on there were I have sampled snippits from old cassette tapes from years ago and remixed them, added to them using my vst's, I love that hissy noise to in old cassette tapes, like it adds that extra feel you know. Thats the one thing I love about dark ambient, like there is no right or wrong in it, its just there, like for example, an abstract painting of a face, the eyes and ears/mouth may be wonky/out of place ect, but because it abstract. well its much more acceptable, like thats the way its meant to be anyway.

But yeh I am so glad to be aboard here, I have only been here for just a week now, but since being here I have listened to alot of peoples stuff, all your music I can relate to immediately, as I said up there, like I feel closer somehow, connected you know, ugghrr, its hard to expain/describe what am trying to say, like because I am part of a community now, well now I feel like I have a mentor sitting on my shoulder, only theres a whole bunch of them lol, but the music on here blows me away everytime. I listen and I learn, then I listen alittle more, but go deeper into the music, then I am constantly absorbed into the drones/scapes ect, then I will get me vst's out and play around with them, sitting there with a little smile on me face knowing I am part of a family of dark ambience.

Best Wishes
    m3T4FoR
    Last edited by meta4; 10-19-2013, 09:27 PM.
    life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Originally posted by m3T4FoR View Post
    ...like I feel closer somehow, connected you know, ugghrr, its hard to expain/describe what am trying to say, like because I am part of a community now, well now I feel like I have a mentor sitting on my shoulder, only theres a whole bunch of them lol, but the music on here blows me away everytime. I listen and I learn, then I listen alittle more, but go deeper into the music, then I am constantly absorbed into the drones/scapes ect, then I will get me vst's out and play around with them, sitting there with a little smile on me face knowing I am part of a family of dark ambience.

Best Wishes
    m3T4FoR
    Thank you for this heartfelt, honest, and revealing post. That's exactly why we started the site in the first place to create that sense of community. I too share your sense of connectedness as I'm sure many others do too. I've been so inspired by others who I've met and music that I've heard here that I'm quite sure I wouldn't be half the ambient artist I am right now without their influence. It's a powerful thing which simply cannot be ignored or denied.

This site is one in a million which is precisely why I continue to motivate others to spread the word and help us to grow. Thank you again and may you continue to be inspired and encouraged far into the future.

Cheers,
    -S1gns
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

It's great that you feel so welcome here so soon! I've gotta take this opportunity to thank all the folks here who have made me feel so welcome too! The openness, genuineness, andl honestly helpful and supportive nature of the participants is something special. I have lurked at a couple of other forums, but felt uncomfortable posting anything. This forum has drawn me out and, again, thank you all! You're #1!

Comment

+1 Absolutely agree this forum seems to be unique in that everyone, and I mean everyone, is friendly and supportive. No wise guys, no trolls, no divas (male or female). It really is a breath of fresh air, and a credit to DaxIX and S1gns for making it so. Long may it continue :rockon:
        My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
        Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Working...
        X