Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHADOWMASTΞR
    replied
    That's a tough question. Probably not. Which, by the by, I am completely fine with. I think that's why I do this. To chase down what exactly that is. Honestly, I don't feel like I ever know what I am doing, musically, until my fingers touch the keys. It still takes me by surprise that it sounds good/interesting.
    Even if I did feel like I had identified what exactly my sound was, I believe that artistic expression is dynamic. The music I think is brilliant now may not move me in 10 or 20 years and vice versa. Regardless, the journey to self-discovery is pretty fun when you add some reverb.

Leave a comment:

• Acef Stripe
    replied
    I would say my limited knowledge of music theory is focusing my sound!

Leave a comment:

• MnemoSign
    replied
    I kinda maybe sorta have a kinda maybe sorta idea of what kind of music I want to make.

Kinda.

Maybe.

Sorta.

But it'll probably change ten times before I actually finish anything....

Leave a comment:

• Benedict Roff-Marsh
    replied
    Um yes, it was probably more a case of letting it find me or letting myself "be it" seeing, in reality, it was there all along as I thrashed around trying to please other people - or at least what I thought would please them.

What is it: Pure Electronic Music, Space Music, with shades of Prog, SynthPop, HiNRG, & even Metal (altho the genre Nazis deny that), using whatever I think I need to tell the Story that wants to be told. What it is not: EDM, attempts to clone someone else.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• Damned Robots
    replied
    Think so, although sound is ever evolving through advances in technology and software.

Leave a comment:

• Acef Stripe
    replied
    what an excellent question and very hard to answer of course. All I can say that i have found certain stylistic traits (combination of synths/fx and mixing in live percussion) that I use regularly based on experience. also, limiting most of my instruments to hardware helps focus me, although there are no rules.

I try to not consider what others may want to hear as it varies so widely based on the individual. I do believe in playing to my strengths as a musician and not pushing beyond that. I love synths and fx so I am always exploring whats available.
    Last edited by Acef Stripe; 06-02-2020, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pfig
    replied
    I've released 2 EPs which are wildly different from each other, and I'm working on an album which for now sounds different to those - at least in my head, which is where most of it still is. My tempo is more consistent, 30 to 60 bpm.

Leave a comment:

• FireAnt
    replied
    i just got into the "ambient" game.... i have been messing with synths for a LONG time, without knowing what i was doing(just turned 64)..... OPS, other peoples synths......

now i have my own synths, but as a guitarist i have to ditch all my "known" technique in songwriting..... its like learning to breathe all over again...... weird.....

so, i guess i need to "find" my sound in this genre....... along the way i should learn alot !!!!

there is a link below, Uphill Trudge is the song title..... theres some mistakes there but i just wrote this yesterday, i need some rehearsal time with it(inspired by Patrick O'Hearn).....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10q...zy4DKlx304Eu98

Leave a comment:

• Brugd
    replied
    I think that I have found my sound. Or at least I have found the sound for the project I call Brugd. And I have drawn some lines according to where I can take this sound. Like, I know how dark, or how melodic I can take it. I know for instance that my next album will/should be much brighter and a little more melodic than the last one.

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    It appears that I am finding new sounds...

Leave a comment:

• crepuscular
    replied
    Years ago, some friend listened to my music and said that my stuff has a notorious personal imprint on it, not related to liking or disliking the music, its about a kind of seal that i put on whatever I make.
    Im not sure if this equals to have an own sounding.
    Its good to develop an own sounding and even essential In todays overlysaturated musical landscape.
    edit: an example : chemical brothers, while i dont like what they do i recognise an intrinsic imprint on their music not related to the instruments they use. Im sure if you give them an acoustic guitar and a basic drumkit they still will sound as the chemical brothers. Its something more than the tools.
    Last edited by crepuscular; 10-10-2019, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• falls a star
    replied
    Originally posted by falls a star View Post
    Yes! And I'm still thrilled about it almost a year later It's not a fixed and static place....
    So here it is a year after I posted that, and I'm still very pleased with "my sound."

I don't feel trapped by it at all. It fits me well and continues to move with me... like a comfortable outfit, not a cage

I am interested in technique, sounds and gear that is a little bit tangent to what I've been doing but not too far outside. Trying that encourages something new, but not a quantum leap off to somewhere else. Most recently I picked up a Soma Lyra-8, and I love it. I suspect my next album is going to be noticeably different from my last few -- yet it will still have a kind of continuity with them.

Leave a comment:

• SLDE
    replied
    For the time being, given my laptop is both my instruments and my recording studio, I'm happy with the challenge of trying to create new ideas and sounds with the tools provided by Garageband alone, which are not few. I'm also starting to create sounds with objects of everyday life and try to modify them into something different. Not original, I know, but it's a challenge for me nevertheless. And since creativity and experimentation is what moves me, that's good enough for me.

Oh, and one more thing, right now I wish I never found "my sound".

Leave a comment:

• Ironwork
    replied
    Yes. DX7 pads, saturation, chamber reverb, field recordings, Farfisa pads, saturation, overdrive and saturation.

Leave a comment:

• George Johnson
    replied
    To be quite honest I will typically find my sound and then lose it just as quickly.
    I do have some base patches that I rely on however I don't like to back myself up into a corner so I'm always experimenting.
    On the flip side however you don't want to experiment so much that you find your self becoming lost or distracted. Although experimentation is the best way to progress.
    Occasionally I will find something that sounds so good to my ear that I will have to record it immediately or risk never being able to duplicate it. It is a great feeling when you can create something spontaneously that just works.
    I'm always attempted to buy new effects as well. However at this point I think I'm pretty good with what I have. Although you never know what new electronic goodies might be lurking around the corner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X