Gear 468x120
Shop at Perfect Circuit and support Ambient Online!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Found Your Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• falls a star
    replied
    I don't feel like "finding your sound" is an absolute thing at all, that makes one feel boxed in. When I listen to my various releases over the past few years, they each have their own character, but there's also a kind of consistency across them as a whole.

I often find at the start of a new project, I kind of flounder around for a bit before I figure out where it's going. That's where I am now. But I figure it's an important phase because it's establishing what the album is going to be like.

I've recently taken up the bass ukulele -- looks like an oversized uke, has massive but low-tension rubber strings (though metal roundwound/flatwound are also available), and can sound remarkably like an upright bass or more like a bass guitar. My goal at the start is to mainly just to enjoy it and develop my skills, but eventually I want to bring it into my ambient/drone music. It's going to be an interesting journey finding a way to integrate it. Ambient bass guitar isn't completely unheard of but it's certainly not typical, and integrating it is going to mean some changes in my recording workflow.

But I mention that because, as much as it may change things, I think it's still going to be "my sound"

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Bodhi
    replied
    What’s interesting in my case is that I never try to rely on a formula- since my tastes are pretty eclectic. I don’t like to put myself in a ‘box’, if you will. That works for some people, as they like to define themselves by certain things they do, but the way it works with me is I may acquire a new tool, vst, or instrument, and then I will be onto the sounds that produces for a while as I explore them. Then, after a few projects, I will find something else, and then that will define the sound until something else comes along. This is why I love experimental music so much- because it frees you up to not have to follow anyone else’s expectations for your sound. Because, in the long-run, even the best can get boring if it is over-used.

Leave a comment:

• Borez
    replied
    I've found the direction I want my sound to go i.e. Ambient soundbeds with found sounds and field recordings. But I don't think I'll ever find a "sound" per se as I'm always experimenting with new techniques.

Leave a comment:

• Synestia
    replied
    I feel like each time I open my DAW I have a different style in mind. I'm interested in generative ambient, but sometimes just want to create something entirely deterministic based on something going round my head.
    I think once I have enough music that I'm happy with to put something out I'm going to have a headache fitting everything together - never really sure if it's something I should have multiple artist names for or not - though that's probably getting way ahead of myself as I've not actually put anything new out for about 10 years aside from contributions to the compilations here!

Leave a comment:

• bojanboyss
    replied
    No, it's not a challenge for myself when I make always the same way. I like to experiment. Ambient as a genre is forgiving in that area, soundtrack/score is probably even encouraging to do, but other styles may suffer so I run into inspiration problems with my other project which is groove based

Leave a comment:

• SHADOWMASTΞR
    replied
    That's a tough question. Probably not. Which, by the by, I am completely fine with. I think that's why I do this. To chase down what exactly that is. Honestly, I don't feel like I ever know what I am doing, musically, until my fingers touch the keys. It still takes me by surprise that it sounds good/interesting.
    Even if I did feel like I had identified what exactly my sound was, I believe that artistic expression is dynamic. The music I think is brilliant now may not move me in 10 or 20 years and vice versa. Regardless, the journey to self-discovery is pretty fun when you add some reverb.

Leave a comment:

• Acef Stripe
    replied
    I would say my limited knowledge of music theory is focusing my sound!

Leave a comment:

• MnemoSign
    replied
    I kinda maybe sorta have a kinda maybe sorta idea of what kind of music I want to make.

Kinda.

Maybe.

Sorta.

But it'll probably change ten times before I actually finish anything....

Leave a comment:

• Benedict Roff-Marsh
    replied
    Um yes, it was probably more a case of letting it find me or letting myself "be it" seeing, in reality, it was there all along as I thrashed around trying to please other people - or at least what I thought would please them.

What is it: Pure Electronic Music, Space Music, with shades of Prog, SynthPop, HiNRG, & even Metal (altho the genre Nazis deny that), using whatever I think I need to tell the Story that wants to be told. What it is not: EDM, attempts to clone someone else.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• Damned Robots
    replied
    Think so, although sound is ever evolving through advances in technology and software.

Leave a comment:

• Acef Stripe
    replied
    what an excellent question and very hard to answer of course. All I can say that i have found certain stylistic traits (combination of synths/fx and mixing in live percussion) that I use regularly based on experience. also, limiting most of my instruments to hardware helps focus me, although there are no rules.

I try to not consider what others may want to hear as it varies so widely based on the individual. I do believe in playing to my strengths as a musician and not pushing beyond that. I love synths and fx so I am always exploring whats available.
    Last edited by Acef Stripe; 06-02-2020, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pfig
    replied
    I've released 2 EPs which are wildly different from each other, and I'm working on an album which for now sounds different to those - at least in my head, which is where most of it still is. My tempo is more consistent, 30 to 60 bpm.

Leave a comment:

• FireAnt
    replied
    i just got into the "ambient" game.... i have been messing with synths for a LONG time, without knowing what i was doing(just turned 64)..... OPS, other peoples synths......

now i have my own synths, but as a guitarist i have to ditch all my "known" technique in songwriting..... its like learning to breathe all over again...... weird.....

so, i guess i need to "find" my sound in this genre....... along the way i should learn alot !!!!

there is a link below, Uphill Trudge is the song title..... theres some mistakes there but i just wrote this yesterday, i need some rehearsal time with it(inspired by Patrick O'Hearn).....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10q...zy4DKlx304Eu98

Leave a comment:

• Brugd
    replied
    I think that I have found my sound. Or at least I have found the sound for the project I call Brugd. And I have drawn some lines according to where I can take this sound. Like, I know how dark, or how melodic I can take it. I know for instance that my next album will/should be much brighter and a little more melodic than the last one.

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    It appears that I am finding new sounds...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X