Live Ambient

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Ambient

So I play and create ambient/drone music with my guitar and a variety of effects pedals and I find myself always having a desire to play it live. Now, since our type of music moves at a slow pace, do you think it could be enjoyable in a live setting. I think it would be in the right atmosphere, maybe in a dimly lit hookah bar or late night coffee shop? What are your opinions and would you go to a live ambient show or play one? I would love to hold an event where ambient/drone artists could perform live.
    https://amphigorymusic.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/amphigorymusic

I think it would be a great thing to go and see. Several of the artists here do live shows, and I am sure will chime in with some advice.

Alternate answer:

I am old school, and believe ambient belongs in the studio. Those that attempt to make it public are the same as witches.

Comment

I went to a couple of ambient concerts last month Why not?
      Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
        Funny thing, I did too. were they any good? ;)

At least from my perspective and location clubs don't do enough ambient/experimental shows so it's up to someone to take upon himself (or herself) to start building the scene.
        I'd love to play more shows, but being from a small country where the scene is extremely narrow there aren't too many options.
        we have to get into the same playground with the noise scene and other electronic music to gain a proper size audience.

I would gladly play a 5 hour drone live if someone asked me to do it, or a 20 minute ambient piano show but again the problem is that not too many people are asking :D

For me the live experience always brings something a little bit extra to the music. The space, the time, the people. I
        t's never the same as enjoying music at home with your headphones on... or without the headphones and your neighbor banging a rhythm to your floor with a broomstick...

wow. I went into rambling mode, but there is my five cents if you need it
        Last edited by owtkri; 07-31-2014, 02:02 PM.
        [ówt krì]

www.owtkri.org

www.alrealonmusique.com

Comment

Originally posted by owtkri View Post
          Funny thing, I did too. were they any good? ;)
          Not bad at all. Entertaining sets from young up-and-coming hipster soloists and some established groovy combos
          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

...young up-and-coming hipster soloists...
            hold on... you didn't just call us hipsters did you?

:fence:

:D :D :D :D :D :D
            [ówt krì]

www.owtkri.org

www.alrealonmusique.com

Comment

Originally posted by owtkri View Post
              ...young up-and-coming hipster soloists...
              hold on... you didn't just call us hipsters did you?

:fence:

:D :D :D :D :D :D
              He did! I didn't know playing a launchpad in Finland qualified me as a hipster, but I guess I do now! nonono:
              Synphaera Records
              Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                I didn't know playing a launchpad in Finland qualified me as a hipster
                Then you are the only one who didn't know that, it's the very definition of hipster.

Comment

Well, asean, I definitely think you should try playing live. If you can do it with your guitar, I think you are in a very good starting position. It will be a bit more visually entertaining than someone behind a laptop. As for venues - how about churches and libraries?

I'm also planning for some live shows this autumn, my first ambient performances. As I can't actually play my music live, I will put together some videos projections in the background. My biggest problem is to shoot the videos and make them look professional enough.
                  www.soundcloud.com/imifal | www.imifal.blogspot.se | www.imifal.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by imi fal View Post
                    I'm also planning for some live shows this autumn, my first ambient performances. As I can't actually play my music live, I will put together some videos projections in the background. My biggest problem is to shoot the videos and make them look professional enough.
                    I'm right there with you. If you have access to a good DSLR film camera (Canon or Nikon) use that with a nice fixed lens to shoot the video. Most cameras shoot in 1080p and you can use the depth of field of the lens to your advantage to create blurry backgrounds and bokeh effects that will take a normal video environment and make it look "professional."

For an example, check out the video I did for the indiegogo campaign I ran earlier this year to help fund my trip to Finland.

Synphaera Records
                    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I have given up playing live for now. Main reason is the seeming lack of appropriate venues where I live in Brisbane, Australia. Playing at the Conservatorium and/or other Academic gigs aren't bad but pubs and clubs are out of the question and the hipster bars in reclaimed spaces while offering way more inspiration and potential tend to fill up with loud alcoholics.
                      Makrotulpa - SKON - Blog - Soundcloud

Comment

I would love to find artists and place now to play in the UK, after Finland i truly believe we should take this music to the people to show how inspirational it can be ....

if any one knows of anywhere or is willing to help start and event get in touch, i am sure many of the artists here could be tempted to perform for sure

IvanB

Comment

Good video s1gns, and I'm happy you made it to Helsinki! So far I've been shooting with my iPhone on a tripod, using the apps Filmic Pro and Super 8, and thereafter relying on heavy image/video processing in Photoshop. It works, but stepping up to a DSLR would probably increase quality a lot. Maybe if I can trade in my old DSLR...

@ivanblack: Sounds good! Could it be a community-driven thing? Or a handful of artists doing short sets to attract a larger combined audience?
                          www.soundcloud.com/imifal | www.imifal.blogspot.se | www.imifal.bandcamp.com

Comment

that was the plan find a good venue, then invite Ambient Online members to join forces and play, even collaborate perhaps and try and keep it going monthly or something :-)

IvanB

Comment

Originally posted by blackivan View Post
                              that was the plan find a good venue, then invite Ambient Online members to join forces and play, even collaborate perhaps and try and keep it going monthly or something :-)

IvanB
                              Plenty of them living in the UK as well! Looking forward to seeing if we can pull this off. Let me know if you need any assistance...I'll do whatever I can from the states to make this happen!

Cheers.
                              Synphaera Records
                              Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Working...
                              X