Ambient Opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambient Opera

yesterday I came up with the idea of an ambient opera.

I searched the web for that special genre but didn't find anything until now.

my idea is to use pictures or paintings to guide through the story ... a story of love, of course.

my story so far is this:

an art student, a young girl, reads a book about the famous painter Velázques. One of the pictures in this book shows the painting "Venus at her Mirror". She is absolutely convinced that the mirror in the picture shows her own face. She beginns to be obsessed. She falls in love with Velázques in her dreams. At her research she found a series of medieval tapestries, called "The Lady and the Unicorn" ...

I want to use this six tapestries to guide through the whole story. On one of this pictures there is an unicorn looking into a mirror. This picture could explain the magic how her face is on "Venus at her Mirror". The other pictures could explain the magic of how to come in contact with Velázques. At the end she decides to take suicide by falling into an eternal sleep to live on with Velázques in her dreams for ever ...

it's a crazy story, I know.
    it's a crazy project, I know too.
    but I begin to be obsessed ... :pray:
    ahornberg.bandcamp.com
    soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Nice idea! I must admit, when I read the topic title my first thought was of a diva humming an 11-minute drone. Seriously, though, I love high-concept pieces. Looking forward to hearing where you go with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm not really interested in music. Music is just a means of creating a magical state." - Robert Fripp

My music on SoundCloud

Comment

Great idea. But it needs to be at least 168 hours long.
      https://soundcloud.com/jespis

Comment

maybe the overture be a one and a half hour drone ... :daydream:
        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

I wonder if you could actually find singers who would go for the idea - I expect you would want them to sing more "ambient"-like. Drop some of their vocal flourishes, embrace longer notes and just play with the vocal timbres of their voices...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Visit me at:
          AmbientLifeforms.bandcamp.com

Comment

By the way do we have vocal artists in this group?

Visit me at:

Comment

Originally posted by Ambient Lifeforms View Post
              I wonder if you could actually find singers who would go for the idea - I expect you would want them to sing more "ambient"-like. Drop some of their vocal flourishes, embrace longer notes and just play with the vocal timbres of their voices...?
              maybe overtone-singers

ahornberg.bandcamp.com
              soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

I think it's a fantastic idea, but is going to be a real bear to pull off successfully.

Lots of hard work for this one... :workingout:
                Home Page: http://www.syntheticaurality.com/
                Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/synthetic_aurality
                Authors Den: http://www.authorsden.com/edwardaustinaverill

Comment

Off course you don't necessarily need opera singers! Those throat singers could be it - if you are not planning on lyrics though...

Visit me at:

Comment

And it would be hard to carry your story without lyrics at all... Hmmm interesting 😀

Visit me at:

Comment

I've also thought about larger coherent works, symphonies and operas, but I've never had the guts to actually go ahead with it. As synthetic states it would be a lot of work to bring it to fruition.

Visit me at:

Comment

yes, there have to be lyrics in an opera ... I'm also thinking about using a voice synthesizer like utau or vocaloid
                        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

the more I work on the story of my opera the more it comes clear that there are 3 storylines:

1) in the present (the time the young art-student lives in)
                          2) in the past (the time the master-painter lives in)
                          3) in their both dream (the dreamworld)

so storyline 1 should be in standard western tuning (12 equal division of the octave), the tuning we all already know

storyline 2 should be in a meantone-tuning like Valotti, Werckmeister or something similar

and for storyline 3 I want to use a microtonal tuning, maybe http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/33ed4
                          ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                          soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

... I hope I get the whole thing done til x-mas
                            ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                            soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Phillip Glass would like a word with you about Ambient Operas

Comment

Working...
                              X