Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about One Sample Dare (disclosing method)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about One Sample Dare (disclosing method)

I didn't want to pollute the OSD forum/thread(s), that's why I'm asking this question here:

The last rule (#8) is: "Participants SHOULD disclose the formula for winning track for the benefit of community"

Does this mean one only has to disclose it after winning or should all participants disclose their formula/method when posting their track? It reads like the former but in reality almost everyone discloses it when posting (which is logical if it's "for the benefit of community")

Not a big deal but I'm still a bit confused how to apply this rule... Can someone clarify this please? Thanks.
    Boqurant | Boqurant on Soundcloud

Originally posted by Boqurant View Post
    Not a big deal but I'm still a bit confused how to apply this rule... Can someone clarify this please? Thanks.
    I'm sure Metadronos can elaborate on this when he gets back from vacation, but throughout the entire history of the OSD challenges, most participants along the way have described how the did it, even if they didn't win. Most do upon submission...it's part of the fun! There are no prizes (yet) for the OSD, but in a sense, the reward is getting to hear the creativity and have it explained by those who created it. In a sense, everyone wins.

Hope that helps.
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Well after seeing your post I remembered a post I made a long time back asking what the rules meant. It may not be what you want answering but scroll down this link page below to where I ask about myself being in the dark about the rules and phoenstorm illustrates in depth about the One Sample Dare rules.

Anyway here is the link http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/s...ple+dare+rules
      Last edited by meta4; 07-29-2015, 03:09 PM.
      life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
        I'm sure Metadronos can elaborate on this when he gets back from vacation, but throughout the entire history of the OSD challenges, most participants along the way have described how the did it, even if they didn't win. Most do upon submission...it's part of the fun! There are no prizes (yet) for the OSD, but in a sense, the reward is getting to hear the creativity and have it explained by those who created it. In a sense, everyone wins.

Hope that helps.

Maybe a free ambient online t-shirt could be considered as a prize :biggrin:

Comment

Originally posted by richy tronik View Post
          That's a little much...I was thinking possibly a sticker pack of 5 ambient online stickers?
          Synphaera Records
          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Well after seeing your post I remembered a post I made a long time back asking what the rules meant. It may not be what you want answering but scroll down this link page below to where I ask about myself being in the dark about the rules and phoenstorm illustrates in depth about the One Sample Dare rules.

Anyway here is the link http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/s...ple+dare+rules
            Thanks but Phoenstorm writes: "3)Exactly as you understood it. If you submit, or later when you win, tell the others how you made the track - we all might learn something this way."
            That's even more ambiguous than I thought it was :razz:

Comment

That's why I have never bothered with the OSD as even now to this day.

I still don't for the life of me understand what the rules mean :frustrated:

Comment

That's a little much...I was thinking possibly a sticker pack of 5 ambient online stickers?
                Could be a problem though: a friend of mine (in the Netherlands) ordered something from the U.S. and had to pay the postman € 25,- cash for overseas shipping taxes (almost $ 28,-). I'm not so sure if a price would be a good idea (unless it's a copious amount of hard cash ofcourse :-) IMO it's not about rewards; it's about fun, stimulation, a challenge to do something different, learning from the whole process and ofcourse enjoying (and learning from) each others works.

Comment

Could be a problem though: a friend of mine (in the Netherlands) ordered something from the U.S. and had to pay the postman € 25,- cash for overseas shipping taxes (almost $ 28,-). I'm not so sure if a price would be a good idea (unless it's a copious amount of hard cash ofcourse :-) IMO it's not about rewards; it's about fun, stimulation, a challenge to do something different, learning from the whole process and ofcourse enjoying (and learning from) each others works.
                  Crazy. Same thing happened to Ambient Lifeforms (here on AO) when he tried to order 2 ambient online T-shirts into Denmark. Have the Euro post offices gone mad? Are they all desperate to keep the doors open while they pillage innocent citizens of their own country?

Luckily the guy who owns the shirt company that makes our shirts actually reimbursed him for that 25 euro! What a guy. Anyway, you're right...it's not about prizes, which is why I haven't offered anything for over 30 rounds of the OSD. My explanation is clearly stated above. We all win.
                  Synphaera Records
                  Space | Time | Matter

Comment

It's a shame you're holding back because of this. What exactly is not clear to you? I guess it must be rule #1? I know there has been some discussion about it (about self oscillating filters e.g.) but in the end it all boils down to this (correct me if I'm wrong): do NOT use any synth or other kind of noise generator (in the broadest sense). Do NOT use any other sound source than the sample itself. Only samplers (to play just the given sample) are allowed and effects like reverb, delay, distortion, etc. You may chop the hell out of the given sample and do whatever you want with it no matter how many layers you use. Something like that?
                    Last edited by Boqurant; 07-29-2015, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Yeh I was only jesting as S1gns mentioned no prizes as yet.
                      Just couldn't resist.:rotf:
                      Last edited by meta4; 07-30-2015, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Yeh I was only jesting as S1gns mentioned no prizes as yet.
                        Just couln't resist.
                        Yeah I know but the funny thing is he fell for it :biggrin: and even offered a compromise :razz:

Comment

It's a shame you're holding back because of this. What exactly is not clear to you? I guess it must be rule #1? I know there has been some discussion about it (about self oscillating filters e.g.) but in the end it all boils down to this (correct me if I'm wrong): do NOT use any synth or other kind of noise generator (in the broadest sense). Do NOT use any other sound source than the sample itself. Only samplers (to play just the given sample) are allowed and effects like reverb, delay, distortion, etc. You may chop the hell out of the given sample and do whatever you want with it no matter how many layers you use. Something like that?
                          Oh christ-erm! I would have to read the rules again-but my gut feeling is telling me it was how the rules were written and how I couldn't really understand what I was reading so after a few reads I gave up. Not that am dissing those who have written what the rules mean even in lamens terms as I do remember asking if someone could illustrate them that way. Like it was a whole different language really. Well it was otherwise I would be able to understand the rules lol.

Comment

all boils down to this (correct me if I'm wrong): do NOT use any synth or other kind of noise generator (in the broadest sense). Do NOT use any other sound source than the sample itself. Only samplers (to play just the given sample) are allowed and effects like reverb, delay, distortion, etc. You may chop the hell out of the given sample and do whatever you want with it no matter how many layers you use. Something like that?
                            This is correct - this is how rule #1 should be interpreted.

Phoenstorm writes: "3)Exactly as you understood it. If you submit, or later when you win, tell the others how you made the track - we all might learn something this way."
                            This is also correct. Disclosing IS NOT mandatory, but it is very welcome. Dare participants can choose if they want to disclose their techniques. They can also choose when they do it - you can describe techniques along with your submitted track (recommended), you can do this later if you win (or not) - but note that submissions thread is closed when voting thread is started, so then available place for technique description is "Ambient Theory and Methods" section of AO.
                            SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
                            Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
                            "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

I don't mind sharing how I did something in such a competition at all. And since it was brought up, for me the "prize" of winning OSD 21 was getting to provide the sample for 22 and hearing what everyone made with it
                              Meh.

Comment

Working...
                              X