Vangelis-like sound from my trombone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vangelis-like sound from my trombone

Hi. I posted some way back when AmbientOnline started but haven't kept up.

I make ambient/electronic/space music with my trombone.

I figured out how to get a sound similar to Vangelis's Yamaha CS-80 on all his classic albums from the 70s and 80s. I was really excited about it but also kinda of bummed 'cause I have no one to share my excitement with, so here I am!

Here's the track:
    https://soundcloud.com/quiethorn/81815a

Original sound source is my trombone, no overdubs. I might cut this one down when I put it on my album. Even for an ambient track, it's a little repetitive :biggrin:

Sorry... maybe this should've gone in Member Releases. Oh well.
    Last edited by quiethorn; 08-19-2015, 01:30 AM.

Hi, that's interesting. I like horn sounds. Good job.
    Do you know about Tom Heasley, who makes unique ambient music with a tuba?
    https://thegreatschizm.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by quiethorn View Post

Sorry... maybe this should've gone in Member Releases. Oh well.
      I can move it over there if you want me to.
      Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Just listening to this now. I'm about 4 minutes in and for some reason, I'm hearing Hassell. Similar to the sounds he made on Brilliant Trees.

Good stuff
        Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

simply gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
            Just listening to this now. I'm about 4 minutes in and for some reason, I'm hearing Hassell. Similar to the sounds he made on Brilliant Trees.

Good stuff
            Thanks. Yeah, Jon Hassell had a big impact on me several years ago. Well, he still does. I think I really found my tone after discovering him. Arve Henriksen is another one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud Hunter View Post
              Hi, that's interesting. I like horn sounds. Good job.
              Do you know about Tom Heasley, who makes unique ambient music with a tuba?
              Yep, I've known about Tom Heasley since that album came out. I think I heard him on NPR several years ago. Then I submitted some stuff to Hearts of Space (which didn't get played :uh and they also mentioned Tom Heasley when they wrote me back. I really like his stuff.

Comment

I can't remember ever deliberately listening to a piece of music with trombone on it... I normally associate the trombone as a jazz instrument for some reason... My loss LOL!

So, yeah, I'm liking this, and I am berating myself for being so narrow minded. At the end of the day, I should realise that anything that can move air is a valid instrument for any kind of music.

cheers

andy
                I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

That's just lovely. Not too repetitive at all in my opinion, grows at a natural pace in the same way a track like Bryars 'Sinking of the Titanic' does.

I'm guilty too of forgetting just how emotive the trombone can be, definitely doesn't get taken as seriously in popular culture as it should.

One random thought; I've seen the question of how to recreate this sound on a synth so many times over the years and yet here's the perfect solution - use a real brass instrument.
                  Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Yeah, trombone players tend to be boring. In jazz, we've been playing catch-up for 60 years; followers rather than innovators. In the classical world, we get some respect, but still mostly in a support roll. This all works in my favor, though, because it means ambient and electronic music is uncharted territory for trombone players and it's easier to sound original!

Comment

Working...
                    X