Gear 468x120
Shop at Perfect Circuit and support Ambient Online!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ambicon 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound In The Mist
    replied
    Originally posted by Nemo View Post
    Here's to keeping paths open and looking forward to the (ambient) future!
    Very well said, Nemo! "Open paths". Excellent indeed!

Leave a comment:

• S1gnsOfL1fe
    replied
    The Ambicon 2013 videos are starting to surface. Here's the first two that have come online.

Enjoy! I will post more as they are uploaded to Steven Hill's YouTube account. I wonder if he knows about ambient online? :uh:

Leave a comment:

• Nemo
    replied
    Here's to keeping paths open and looking forward to the (ambient) future!

Leave a comment:

• MetaDronos
    replied
    Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post

So just hearing you talk about this has absolutely fired me up. I can't stop thinking about how good this music is compared to the talent that lives around this place. Child's play? Seriously? I'm not stopping until they ask me to play there myself. Seriously. While we may not have large expensive analog rigs to carry out to Northern California, we've got heart, talent, and desire and that's what it takes. I'm going to make it there someday.
    I want to add few words.

I have large ambient playlist, which I refresh from time to time, adding and removing tracks.
    Few years ago this playlist was full of "big names" of ambient, full of canonical
    and "classical" ambient tracks.

Today many of those classic tracks are gone and I have a lot of new tracks,
    harvested at SoundCloud - including large set of tracks of AmbientOnline users.
    So I have continuous comparison of famous commercial artists with artists
    from AO.

My conclusion is: we already have great talents here; people creative, inventive, skillful and wholeheartedly
    sharing their knowledge and experience. We have synergy here, creative interactions
    betweem AO members, resulting in new excellent music (for example our contests).

And one more: I will not throw any specified names here, but there are some famous
    ambient composers, who seem to stop in their explorations. They are composing
    from kind of "template", which works for them commercially. Contrary to this, I see
    a lot of experimentation, exploration and genuine passion in works of people here.

So all paths are open for us

Leave a comment:

• S1gnsOfL1fe
    replied
    It just ended a few minutes ago. You missed some INCREDIBLE performances. Really made me realize how much the stuff I've been doing is total crap and just child's play if even that.

Yes, there was a live chat ongoing... all the RM crowd were there for Steve's performance, not so many afterwards. But some amazing music to be heard. One of the performers especially was truly on fire.

This has truly been a wild weekend from the very beginning... starting with hospital craziness on Friday, that early morning masterclass on Saturday and today Ambicon. Been a while since I've been this completely wiped out.

But it was all worth it (well except for Friday... even though they did have a cool guitarist performing in the cafe). So, yeah... time to stumble towards bed now... :zzz::zzz::zzz:
    So just hearing you talk about this has absolutely fired me up. I can't stop thinking about how good this music is compared to the talent that lives around this place. Child's play? Seriously? I'm not stopping until they ask me to play there myself. Seriously. While we may not have large expensive analog rigs to carry out to Northern California, we've got heart, talent, and desire and that's what it takes. I'm going to make it there someday.

Originally posted by Ambient Indigo View Post
    Slept through it. 10 hour time differences are a killer ... :zzz:
    Shame for S1gns though, being so close but not being able to attend.
    It is a shame Indigo but this is only the beginning. I'm focused and determined right now, more than I've ever been. Good to know there's events like that happening and the ambient movement is still going strong. As you know, I'm a ground level player in the ambient game and am keeping the pulse alive with my things like this site, the podcast, and my own work. One day all of these things will come to fruition and collide with events like Ambicon. I don't know when that will be, but if I keep my mind's eye focused on that, it just might happen.

Leave a comment:

• Ambient Indigo
    replied
    Slept through it. 10 hour time differences are a killer ... :zzz:
    Shame for S1gns though, being so close but not being able to attend.

Leave a comment:

• Nemo
    replied
    It just ended a few minutes ago. You missed some INCREDIBLE performances. Really made me realize how much the stuff I've been doing is total crap and just child's play if even that.

Yes, there was a live chat ongoing... all the RM crowd were there for Steve's performance, not so many afterwards. But some amazing music to be heard. One of the performers especially was truly on fire.

This has truly been a wild weekend from the very beginning... starting with hospital craziness on Friday, that early morning masterclass on Saturday and today Ambicon. Been a while since I've been this completely wiped out.

But it was all worth it (well except for Friday... even though they did have a cool guitarist performing in the cafe). So, yeah... time to stumble towards bed now... :zzz::zzz::zzz:

Leave a comment:

• S1gnsOfL1fe
    replied
    Also made some new friends and mentioned ambientonline. In some ways it was almost like really being there.
    So there was a live chat connected to the stream? And you were promoting ambient online?

Atta' boy! :D :tu:

Keep it up. Hope that livestream is available for download sometime!

Cheers and thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

• Nemo
    replied
    I caught a little bit of the Michael Stearns show last night and then Stephan Micus and Steve Roach today. Wow, what spectacular shows. Except for the technical glitches with Steve's stream. Some incredible music. Also made some new friends and mentioned ambientonline. In some ways it was almost like really being there.

Many thanks to Steve for mentioning it in his newsletter!

@ ho66it, there was talk of a possible dvd becoming available. I'll post here if I find anything out.

@ambient indigo... as for Helsinki... I would be all over it! First have to renew my passport! Afraid I cannot travel atm though... so we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• windspace
    replied
    What a weekend to have to work both days...ugh! I'll probably even miss the live stream :(

Edit: Gotta get off of the forum and back to the salt mine...

Leave a comment:

• Ambient Indigo
    replied
    Funnily enough, without seeing this thread, I was thinking a similar idea about the Festival - there seems to be so much talent on here. There's at least 2 of us from Finland, so I vote we have it in Helsinki :D ... where is everyone from ? I know there are a number of US-based, how about in Europe? Could have a Europe version and a US-version ...

Leave a comment:

• Nemo
    replied
    In the meantime, I need to start playing out again. It's been a very long time since I played out quite a bit... and back then the two bands I was associated with were doing 80's New Wave (I guess you could call it) on the one hand, and quasi progressive/psychedelic on the other hand. I've learned so much over the years since then as well as learned a lot more recently specifically about performing live ambient, so I've been itching to get out there and "flex my muscles" as it were!

Also... so that when the time comes I will be ready!!! :biggrin:
    Last edited by Nemo; 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• S1gnsOfL1fe
    replied
    Yes, I heard that in the recent interview (awesome interview btw!). It would be a pretty big undertaking, but a truly amazing thing if this group can pull it together someday!
    Originally posted by falls a star View Post
    I'd love to be part of a massive live ambient jam. :D
    I'm quite hopeful that someday this will all be possible. We just have to maintain the level of participation on the site and continue to grow (with everyone's efforts, not just mine) and we will be well on our way to that ambient festival on the horizon.

Cheers guys!

-S1gns

Leave a comment:

• falls a star
    replied
    I'd love to be part of a massive live ambient jam. :D

Leave a comment:

• Nemo
    replied
    So, Signs, are you actually going to go? It's this weekend!

For those of use too far away to go in person, it's going to be streamed live. From Steve's newsletter just now...

Ambicon 2013 will be streamed live online, for free, at livestream.com. Tune in this weekend to hear Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Michael Stearns, Jeff Pearce and more..

http://www.livestream.com
    I'll be catching it on the live stream, unfortunately!!! :blush:

I remember when this thread opened I had high hopes of canceling work and going for at least one day. Those hopes quickly faded once reality set in. It wasn't the price of entry, that I could deal with. It was missing work and lost income that hurts me the most.

No worries though...those guys are about an hour away up the road right now...probably getting ready for the set of their lives this weekend. I'm there in spirit!!!

-S1gns

Ooh, an hour up the road... that's gotta be worse than being on the other side of the globe. :frown:

Yep, the price of "reality" a pretty heavy cost in the end. But things usually turn out for the best.

Perhaps someday we will have our own Ambicon, no? Could you imagine with all the boatloads of talent around here?
    That's exactly it Nemo. Right there, you said it. People wonder why I put so much effort into this site and the reason is simple. I believe in everyone here and I want us all to meet up someday. A festival of our own talent. In another thread they said S1gns is on a mission. This is it!

I also touched upon this in the interview for the music review database recently. I want to play live, at a gathering someday.

I want us all to be there. :tu:

-S1gns

Yes, I heard that in the recent interview (awesome interview btw!). It would be a pretty big undertaking, but a truly amazing thing if this group can pull it together someday!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X