Gear 468x120
Shop at Perfect Circuit and support Ambient Online!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inspiring Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiring Weather

I think as winter approaches, I already feel more inspired to make more music. Warm weather, a lot of sunshine, etc. never quite does it for me.

Rain, though, overcast days, snow or after snow, when everything is quiet - these are my preferences.

How about you?

Yeah, while we don't get snow here the colder, grayer, wetter days are a muse.

Comment

I'd have to say that I am affected the same way. That, and there's just not as many chores to take up time when it's snowy

Comment

really good observation - I'm certainly more productive when it is colder. Colder means something different here in the subtropics though It is a nicely chill day at the beginning of our spring today - current temp at 8:30 AM = 19C or 66F . So cold and sunny is good for me but cold,drizzly and grey not so much. Cold and windy is out, but in many ways that is because our houses are not set up for cold at all and for wind even less - so the wind is hard to keep out and windows and doors rattle like crazy.

Comment

I would agree an overcast day does lend to the mood. Recently I've tried to carve out several hours each day to sit and create. I read a book long ago that mentioned one's muse is always in place, it's a matter of "being there" to meet your muse at the moment. An absolute paraphrase.
          Webbish | Band Camp | SoundCloud

That was mind boggling

Comment

I'm an autumn person, it's the season of perfection for me.
            | Ambire Seiche - @ heart this | @ Sonic Squirrel |
            | @da

Comment

Originally posted by Ambire Seiche View Post
              I'm an autumn person, it's the season of perfection for me.
              Mine too.

I don't think I particularly need the cold and rain but if it's sunny then I don't find myself in the zone at all. Guess I'd rather be out in it.
              Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Autumn and winter are certainly the most inspirational seasons for me. They're the theme for some of my best work.
                Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
                altusmusic.ca
                Bandcamp

Comment

I am a hibernian, and always look forward to winter. Such weather offers sampling opportunities as well: softly falling rain, thunderstorms, melting snow and icicles. I have also come to associate Steve Roach's Structures from Silence piece with snow and winter, and always like to listen to it as the snow comes down.
                  https://thegreatschizm.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud Hunter View Post
                    I have also come to associate Steve Roach's Structures from Silence piece with snow and winter
                    I never considered it, but you're right, it's a excellent match. I'm going to listen to that come first snow.
                    Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
                    altusmusic.ca
                    Bandcamp

Comment

I must say that I have an intense dislike of winter. Hate being cold. It is sun and warmth that I need.
                      | Bandcamp | Hearthis | website |

Comment

I think every season has its colours, atmospheres, and weather pattern that can be sources of inspiration. Personally I like summer best. Sunshine makes me happy (and as a survivor of depression, that is an important consideration). And seeing girls in summer dresses... Summer holidays... Does it get any better?
                        https://ablaut.bandcamp.com/ | https://soundcloud.com/ablaut

Comment

Yes, while I really do love a cold and rainy day, we don't get a ton of them so it's a treat. For evening listening, late summer and early spring are awesome here.

I think a lot about the way the performance outside here falls into ebbs and flows when I record. Sometimes I will even record a bit outside and use it as a template for a piece, removing it completely by the final mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud Hunter View Post
                            I have also come to associate Steve Roach's Structures from Silence piece with snow and winter, and always like to listen to it as the snow comes down.

Another album that reminds me of winter and snow is 'True North' by Amir Baghiri & Mathias Grassow. Excellent album. Another would be 'Substrata' by Biosphere.

Comment

fan of the summertime girls myself...very inspiring...not so much for ambient but inspiring...
                              https://soundcloud.com/sleep-data

Comment

Working...
                              X