Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Business of Ambient

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone here is either making a living or working toward making a living by producing music in the Ambient/ New Age/ new classical/ sleep/ meditation/ spa etc.genre? I’m currently starting out with career ambitions, and I’m seeking professional contacts. Specifically, I’m looking for good sync agents, playlist/radio promoters, record labels, and publishers who have experience in working with emerging artists in this genre toward developing a fan base and creating sustainable income streams.

I’ve had some initial successes and I believe I’m nearly ready to take the step of working with industry professionals.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Matt
    http://mattstarling.bandcamp.com/
    http://saltlakeelectricensemble.bandcamp.com/

I won't be famous until 2489, so I've got no experience with today's marketing techniques--but I do wish you success!

Comment

I imagine ambient in the style of new age, or what Aphex Twin produced generates some money. The style of dark ambient I work in, I don't think there's a market for, although Cryo Chamber is trying their darndest. I wish you good luck though! I have seen too many artists turn cynical and become quite cantankerous when they can't find a market.
      Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, and Facebook.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, "it's not what you know but who you know..."

There is so much "talent" out there, doing their stuff that it takes a push from certain people, already successful and respected to "make it."

I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Contacts and networking is key. I go to several events in both London and Birmingham.
          The other key is to decide from a sync perspective is whether you want exclusive or non-exclusive. It'll make a difference to the deals offered and ultimately your freedom to control your music.
          I earn from both the real world and music world - a happy balance. But I also work in Pop music and song-writing. Diversification is a big thing to apply

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X