Anatomy of a cheap guitar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone still cares....

Done a lot of sanding recently and the body looked good, felt lovely so went ahead with the danish oil. And it looked awful... there's a few white patches which I'm guessing are spots where I didn't get all the epoxy/sealer stuff and some darker ones which.. I dunno, maybe messed the grain up or something? More importantly, the final colour was kind of meh, a very weak sort of honey colour I guess. Maybe it will darken with more coats(?) but tempted to try a stained variety of the oil.

I also have a couple of tins of Hammerite laying about which I'm sorely tempted to just slap all over it and be done with. ;)

Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I don't know anything about refinishing(I once did). But can't think that any oil that doesn't dry can be good for the body tone.
      "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annode
      My Music

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
        If anyone still cares....

Done a lot of sanding recently and the body looked good, felt lovely so went ahead with the danish oil. And it looked awful... there's a few white patches which I'm guessing are spots where I didn't get all the epoxy/sealer stuff and some darker ones which.. I dunno, maybe messed the grain up or something? More importantly, the final colour was kind of meh, a very weak sort of honey colour I guess. Maybe it will darken with more coats(?) but tempted to try a stained variety of the oil.

I also have a couple of tins of Hammerite laying about which I'm sorely tempted to just slap all over it and be done with. ;)
        I don't think you can mess up the grain, but the patches could be old sealer that didn't come off with the sanding. The colour should darken with more coats.

Love the Hammerite idea :-)
        https://soundcloud.com/ynotb
        https://ynotb.bandcamp.com/
        http://ynotb.weebly.com/
        https://ynotbmusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by annode View Post
          I don't know anything about refinishing(I once did). But can't think that any oil that doesn't dry can be good for the body tone.
          Danish oil dries ok, after a day or two you'd hardly know it's there. Though why would you finish a guitar with an oil that doesn't dry? Could be messy... ;)

Originally posted by YnotB View Post

I don't think you can mess up the grain, but the patches could be old sealer that didn't come off with the sanding. The colour should darken with more coats.

Love the Hammerite idea :-)
          Well, maybe not 'mess up' but not sanded down sufficiently, maybe the oil has taken to these areas better than the really smooth bits so looks darker...?

I think Hammerite would actually be worse than the poly finish I stripped off initially. I checked and have gold, silver and navy blue; could make quite a unique sunburst with those...

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post

I checked and have gold, silver and navy blue; could make quite a unique sunburst with those...
            It'd look lovely!!

https://soundcloud.com/ynotb
            https://ynotb.bandcamp.com/
            http://ynotb.weebly.com/
            https://ynotbmusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

I'm encouraged by the progress--I'm taking you off the Slacker list.

Silver, gold, and Navy blue would be awesome:

Comment

Wuddaya know, it lives...

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

I think I reached my 'good enough' threshold with the finish, just wanted the guitar back in action...

I like the general look I achieved but not too happy about it's execution, not sure I was really aiming for the post-apocalyptic look... Ended up trying a 'white vinegar and steel wool' finish, loved the colour (more grey than the photos) but it's rather blotchy, especially on the ends which I'm not convinced are totally free of sealer (despite months of sanding...) I read that alder needs extra tannin for it to work well so gave it a rubdown with some brewed tea. This raised the grain of the wood so I carefully sanded it back all over but wondering if that's where the blotches came from; uneven tea application. I left the obvious filler and that kind of looks cool in a way. I finished it with just a couple of coats of danish oil to see how it wore, happy to revisit the body now I have a feel for it.

Electrics-wise I only shielded it (noticed the difference there for sure) but will revisit the rest sometime (really want to move the controls away from the strings). The neck pickup is very bassy so may investigate a change there, maybe just play with a filter (resistor and cap thing). May even see if a proper jazzmaster scratchplate would fit, this one definitely looks truncated around the bridge.

So, yeah, happy that it still plays nice after reassembling it with just a minor bridge tweak (guess removing all that finish would lower it a tad).

Will next think about reshaping the headstock when I next restring it (which could be a decade going by past string changes...)

Strangely, the thing I'm happiest about was the simplest mod; rubbing down the back of the neck with wire wool. I just lightly polished it for a minute or so to get rid of the the glossy varnish 'shine', was left with a satin finish that's *so* much nicer to play, no draggy/sticky feeling anymore.

And, of course, Rukia wasn't impressed.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I think it looks great. So happy it's back in working order. If you ever name the color I'd suggest "Teabagged Grey"

And on the contrary, the cat looks quite pleased.

Now we can be friends again; You're back in the club.

Comment

[QUOTE=aoVI;n88524]I think it looks great. So happy it's back in working order. If you ever name the color I'd suggest "Teabagged Grey" [\quote]

:D

Thanks. I'm liking it more each day but still a couple of spots that still annoy me.

And on the contrary, the cat looks quite pleased.
                    I'd just woken her up so probably a little surprised still.

Now we can be friends again; You're back in the club.
                    Cool. But am I off the list...?
                    Last edited by GaryG; 06-08-2018, 07:39 AM.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Your name may have jumped from some lists then perhaps on to others--that's all I am permitted to say. NDAs and all....

Comment

Looks good to me. I like the Jazzmaster form.
                        I'd love to see it in more detail. Is that the highest res you have? It's pretty blurry, (soft focus if you like)
                        You have inspired me to maybe get to fixing up my 1966 Fender P-bass. The Bad-Ass bridge allen screws are rusted in place and won't turn.(used to play Atlantic City N.J. summer gigs. Salt water and all that.) What are they called...saddles?
                        It's apart in it's case. I even bought some new strings...yrs ago...
                        I've refinished it in the past so many times I swear it feels lighter.
                        Glad to see your guitar re-assembled and ready to play! Do you do any ambient guitar with it? (sorry if I am missing the obvious)
                        Last edited by annode; 06-07-2018, 10:05 AM.
                        My Music

Comment

annode

Thanks.

They were just a couple of phone camera snaps, looked ok on the phones screen but didn't size up very well... I'll get my proper camera out and see about getting some better shots.

I've seen tutorials where people resurrect seriously rusted up old tools with a variety of methods, white vinegar, electrolysis etc. Not sure that would work with smaller, precision parts like allen screws though. '66 you say? Nice, I'm not big on all this mojo mumbo jumbo but older instruments certainly have that... life in them.

I wouldn't consider myself a 'proper' guitarist at all (would struggle to play along with just about anybody) but enjoy the physical aspect of making sounds with a guitar. So, yeah, heavily effected 'ambient' guitar is where I am (though have very few recorded examples strangely...)

I think this is the only guitar track I have currently up anywhere, not exactly a shining example of the craft. ;)

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

That was nice sounding Gary. Lite and pure to a few instruments...I like that.
                            If the finish is detail you would like to bring across visually, yes, a higher res pix would be much appreciated.
                            Fender basses from the 50s on were always changing in design through the yrs. The neck in the 50s was more likened to a baseball bat but my `66 neck is the flattest (depth) I've played. Later due to the Jaco fretless sound, I had the frets removed.
                            I traded my then Gibson EB3 bass (Jack Bruce) for the Fender in 1970, so the bass was fairly new when I got it.
                            The real (not reissued)older instruments are better instruments mostly, and there are frequently differences in form, materials and hardware from yr to yr.
                            Skilled players will always go for an older well kept instrument because it feels and plays better. The sound is another story...that issue is outside of my selective tastes.
                            By chance I got hold of a set of 1958 Fender Jazz Bass pickups which I happily installed into the P-Bass. I love the sound of the J-Bass over the P-Bass, but the J-Bass neck is too thin at the top 5 frets, so I got the best of both basses!
                            Last edited by annode; 06-08-2018, 08:54 AM.
                            My Music

Comment

Thanks.

I never realised just how different a jazzs neck was till i tried one, thought it was one of those differences you'd have to be pretty fussy about to even notice but, nope, felt quite cramped to me.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

just run a reverb pedal into a fuzz pedal

Comment

Working...
                                X