Les Paul, More info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul, More info

Ok...I have decided I am gonna do something unnecessary for myself on my upcoming 50th birthday: I am buying myself a Les Paul.

I have a couple of basses, and a mid-80's Peavey Horizon II. My technical ability on a guitar does not warrant a Les Paul, but I am gonna make the jump anyhow.

I was wondering if anyone out there could express to me the real differences (beyond the ones I can find in a list on the Gibson site) between the Studio and Signature T series of Les Pauls?

Just wondering if there isn't enough of a true difference for someone with my level of experience, but at the same time--this is probably the last guitar I will own.

[drool]:thumbsup::eek::thumbsup:[/drool]

[unhelpful comment]
    or how about a '57 custom 3-pup on ebay for $55,000 :D
    [/unhelpful comment]
    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Just checked out the Model T. Very nice.

You know it's funny...I meet guys all the time in my line of work who claim they are horrible guitarists yet they can still rip it up next to anybody. So which one are you? Are you the guy who's REALLY bad on guitar or just says he's bad because he's not on stage at the grammys? Just wondering. :rockon:

But on all accounts, I'd get the T. If it's the last guitar you'll EVER own, why not? A guitar is something you develop a personal relationship with. You spend hours with it, tone seeking, recording, jamming...you can tell a guitars build quality the moment you get your hands on it. At least I can.

I've had tons of experience with the studios. They are nice, no doubt. Never played a T before but just by looking at it, and looking at the features, I'd say for sure it'll probably be better than the studio.

My 2 cents. Waiting to hear if you really are Santana in disguise! :razz:
      Synphaera Records
      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

No, not being overly modest here.

I have messed with guitars most of my life, from the time I was 8 and rolled marbles down the strings and recorded it with my little cassette player to playing in a band as the bassist/noise maker--I never actually learned to play. Not a single chord in my head.

I thought I had posted the reason why I wanted a Les Paul, but I must have chickened out and changed my mind.

I was 12. My mom gave me a few bucks and I went to pick out a record. I was about to grab the currently popular Starlight Vocal Band's album containing "Afternoon Delight" and then I saw it.

These 4 guys in black and white makeup, smoke, and mayhem. Kiss Alive! I thought Ace was the coolest thing I had ever seen and the guitar he had in his hands (he had to be awesome, he was holding it backwards!) was the most wonderful thing ever. The Les Paul was the first instrument I was able to identify by sight alone. ALthough I have long since put away my Kiss albums, the guitar has always stuck with me. It's not the most unusual looking thing, but the shape, its curves, everything, have been in my minds eye for decades.

Comment

I used to own a 70s Les Paul Custom during the 90s and had mixed feelings about it. It was a b-stock guitar (I think that's the right term) which means it had a production fault. In my case it was that the bridge was not on straight, but that didn't really affect the guitar in any way other than esthetically.

Problem with having a great guitar is that you need a great amp and I didn't own one at the time so it didn't really get the care and attention it needed.

Don't really know enough about the T Series but have played a few Studios and loved them all.

Comment

Was the title of this thread meant to be a pun?

Comment

A friend of mine did the exact same thing; a Les Paul for his 50th. Can't say I was impressed; bearing in mind he paid thousands for it, it was probably the buzziest 'pro' guitar I've ever tried. Probably needed a good setup which it probably should have had at the factory..?

But not trying to put you off, I'm just more of a fender person, gimme a slab of jazzmaster kitsch anyday.

(and I tend to play sitting down which pretty much rules LPs out in my book).
              Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
                So does Robert Fripp and it doesn't stop him from playing one ;)

I used to sit while playing mine too, but other than having to hold the neck constantly to stop it tipping I didn't find it that difficult

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
                  Originally posted by GaryG View Post
                  So does Robert Fripp and it doesn't stop him from playing one ;)

I used to sit while playing mine too, but other than having to hold the neck constantly to stop it tipping I didn't find it that difficult
                  Fripp is just a non-stop party animal
                  Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

i've only ever played a standard which is a nice guitar, more of an SG man myself thanks to Tony Iommi, my advice for what its worth, go for it
                    https://soundcloud.com/negativespectrum

My record label
                    http://xenomorphrecords.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
                      I think you've made my point for me in that sentence. ;)

I'm lazy, a strat or one of the offset fenders will just sit there while I fiddle around with other things (effects, crocodile clips...). Frustratingly, maybe the best guitar I ever owned was horribly neck heavy, a Yamaha aes800. Gorgeous instrument with a great sound but the neck would take a dive every time I sat down with it.

But enough of this hijacking, sorry aoVI, back to you.
                      Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

hmmm...having second thoughts.

Does a nice guitar deserve to be relegated to a noise maker? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                          hmmm...having second thoughts.

Does a nice guitar deserve to be relegated to a noise maker? I don't think so.
                          Noooooooo! Don't have second thoughts. You only turn 50 once! This is it. Les Paul yourself! :thumbsup:
                          Synphaera Records
                          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I just saw a photo of the guitar. Now I'm jealous. Nice colour.

Comment

Ah do not be, it is not happening.

Perhaps another time, another place.

Comment

Working...
                              X