Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My bass guitar gear and one track explained...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bass guitar gear and one track explained...

Hi!

I was posting a description of my methods elsewhere on this board and thought that maybe it could interest someone here... So below is a post about my gear and a complex setup that I'm using live and recording + a description of one of my album track.

Firstly, all of these compositions are originally conceived live and most of them are recorded live as well. I use simply Mackie Onyx 1220i as a preamp and interface as well as a live mixing device. On Mackie I've got three stereo instrument lines coming in from my pedal setup (+1 stereo line for a sampler that I use to trigger the "other" sounds).

The pedal setup is constructed so that I can use some of the pedals on other gigs as well. That’s why I consider them as "modules" that I connect with each other. The modules are explained here:
    • 1st module is a ”sound palette” that I use to modify the original bass sound. The signal chain begins with Tech 21 Sansamp, goes through EHX Micro POG and Boss OC2 octavers to Boss SYB5 (bass synth), EHX Bass Big Muff Pi (fuzz), Mooer Bass Sweeper (envelope filter and finally to Mooer Slow Engine, from where the signal is sent to Boss FV 500h Volume pedal, that also sends the signal to my Polytune. The first module (excluding volume pedal, Slow Engine and usually Micro POG) is my basic pedalboard on more ”normal” gigs. From the volume pedal the signal is sent to my next ”module”…
    • 2nd module’s first pedal is Boss LS2 that I’m using simply to split the signal as A/B in this point. The 2nd module is actually the line-B (I’ll elaborate the line-A afterwards). After the signal is split, I’ll have TC Electronics DITTO 2X looper that is followed by Digitech Hardwire DL8 delay, EHX Superego and finally Boss RC20XL looper. The looper has been connected to Lexicon MPX100 rack mount effect unit from where I get the stereo line level signal to mixer. So basically the second module is a looping channel ”B”…
    • 3rd module actually consists physically of two separate units that are connected from Boss LS2’s line-A to Boss GT6B multi effect unit from where a stereo connection is taken to Boss RC300 looper. I use the looper’s main out to connect the signal to Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal that is a final piece on my line-A before mixer. I’m using the sub outputs of RC300 to split the signal once again so that I can get 3rd stereo channel to the mixer. The 3rd module is my primary looping channel.

I was very much creating and experimenting with the equipment on my first album, but after I was getting better in controlling the setup, I noticed that I could concentrate more on the compositional end of music making. So that is how my second album got made; not so much experimenting with the pedals, more composing. The title track of the album (Above Me Weeps the Sky) is explained here to get the idea how everything is performed:

https://juhamattirautiainen.bandcamp...-weeps-the-sky

The ambient pad in the beginning is created looping only EHX Micro POG an octave higher and Strymon Big Sky’s bloom -reverb room. I’m using volume pedal swells on these pads. The reverb is very long and I’m looping (with RC300) three separate things (not syncing!) on line-A: slow chord progression, separate melody tones and a lower octave. Then I switch to line-B and loop the ”melody” sequence on Boss RC20XL, adding the low-octave bass pulse (on Lexicon I’ve got a ping pong delay). After that I’ll erase the 1st looping track of RC300 and trigger the whispers from the sampler. Then I’ll play the descending volume-pedal-swell-chords on the first looping track on the line-A (that was erased) with Micro POG. Then I’ll switch to line-B to play the long ”frippertronics” delay fuzz sounds that are using Micro POG, Big Muff, Volume Pedal and a very long delay from DL8 (volume pedal swells of course!). Then I simply start fading things out, leaving the whispers and long delayed ”frippertronics” floating on the air, while I start to switch sounds on the next track…

I don’t really know if this interests anyone, but I found it interesting to describe my process, because the writing about it makes me notice some things that I haven’t noticed earlier. And please listen the track to get a clue what I’m talking about… Please ask, if you are interested on hearing more this kind of shit.

I find it interesting to read how others set up fx chains, so this was neat to read (as I listened to the great track).

It's been years since I sat with a cluster of pedals and played around--these days it's all in-the-box here,but somewhat similar to your process.

Comment

Mr. Randomizer,
      That was awesome. Loved that track....

Comment

Originally posted by eric locke View Post
        Mr. Randomizer,
        Interesting first post...

Welcome to the ambient online community. If you get a chance please introduce yourself and let us know what you are up to.

I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by eric locke View Post
          Mr. Randomizer,
          Thanks!

Comment

As a fellow bass player I thoroughly enjoyed reading your description of your set up, fantastic!. I also went and listened to some of your discography and really enjoyed it. Great stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

Interesting first post...

Welcome to the ambient online community. If you get a chance please introduce yourself and let us know what you are up to.
              DONE!
              https://www.ambientonline.org/forum/...41-hi-i-m-eric

Comment

Originally posted by BayingRidges View Post
                As a fellow bass player I thoroughly enjoyed reading your description of your set up, fantastic!. I also went and listened to some of your discography and really enjoyed it. Great stuff!
                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X