Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artist or Listener? Which is your favourite label, and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artist or Listener? Which is your favourite label, and why?

Hi Peeps,

I am both a listener and an artist, so there are two sides to this coin, for me.

As a listener I think that the artist is more important than the label.

Led Zeppelin, one of my all time favourite bands, was on Atlantic Records for some time, until they started their own. Did that mean that Atlantic were my favourite label?

Truth be told, I couldn't have cared less back then and I rarely, if ever, considered what labels my artists were on.

Lately, however, now that I am making a lot of online digital purchases, it sometimes matters to me how a website sells/bills for albums. So, if a label is not on Bandcamp, for instance, I will probably not bother making that purchase.

Paypal is a big factor in that. I have kind of put my online purchasing eggs in one basket, so to speak, so if a seller does not allow Paypal then I will more than likely put off. Not all the time, but most of the time.

By far my most favourite seller of digital downloads is Bandcamp. So easy to use and you can invariably listen to full albums before buying, and create a "wishlist" of stuff you are interested in. Plus, you can, if you want, pay more for something if you wish, which I think is nice. I also think that the way Bandcamp presents your collection is the best out there. I have the Bandcamp app on my Android smart phone and I will often power that up and listen to my collection on that... So handy, as long as I have a connection to the interwebs.

Other web based sellers just want to sell you downloads and don't even give you a great way of looking at your past orders or streaming online. So I try to avoid those sites, unless there is an artist there that is not on Bandcamp, and I really want the album.

As an artist, well, I've never been a part of a label so I guess I cannot comment further. But I would be interested in hearing the opinions of other artists here on this.

cheers

andy
    https://soundcloud.com/synkrotron

synkrotron You hit the topic right there. Yeah earlier we were aware more of artists themselves rather than on labels, but now pop and commercial music is something we are not fond of. So Labels become like our favorite radio stations or TV channels a place we like to hang out. Labels define, in certain measure, artists, so in time label get recognizable sound, that a listener either like or dislike.
    I can say the same thing about bandcamp, its just a great platform.

Comment

I'm usually gravitating towards certain artists that produce sounds that I'm interested in. Labels are often too broad. But there are some that have a much more narrow focus, and a consistent quality. In those cases I will listen to whatever they bring out, and it is almost always good. Such labels that tick the right boxes for me are: Cryo Chamber, 12k, Unfathomless, and LINE.
      https://ablaut.bandcamp.com/ | https://hearthis.at/ablaut/ | https://soundcloud.com/ablauto

Comment

Originally posted by ablaut View Post
        I'm usually gravitating towards certain artists that produce sounds that I'm interested in. Labels are often too broad. But there are some that have a much more narrow focus, and a consistent quality. In those cases I will listen to whatever they bring out,
        I'd go along with that. Back in the day, I certainly used to give more attention to artists on certain labels that I knew delivered the goods generally (4ad, Blast First, Warp, Touch and Go etc). I think now with the likes of Bandcamp that it's so easy to set up a net label, that many have lower QC. They don't have to worry about having a couple of hundred unsold copies of an album stacked in their garage, could theoretically put out everything they have submitted to them.

However, many labels do have that selective quality still, I'll always check out a new release from them (yeah, 12K )

Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

My favorite record label was on Capitol 45's during the late 60's. It looked the coolest spinning.

OHHH! You meant record label. Nevermind.

(I actually still have this 45. A bit battered as I owned it since I was about 7--Eleanor Rigby is the a-side)

Comment

Ha! Yeah, the aptly named Vertigo record "label" was another great visual thing

Comment

Ha! had never heard of that, but brilliant!

(sorry for derailing)

Comment

I've only got one album on that label

Black Sabbath Vol 4

Comment

Well there is the old german labels Brain and Ohr, i also have a collection of Eno's Obscure albums , EG, for Fripp and Eno obviously as well as Eno's solo work, Sky again a German label - Custer, Wolfgang Reichmann etc. , i also love a lot of recordings on Vigin and Virgin Caroline ... and ECM :-) modern stuff i listen to a lot of stuff on ultimae records :-)
                  hope thats an ok selection

IvanB

Comment

E'G had a lot of awesome stuff back in the day; the Eno (and Fripp) catalog you mentioned, King Crimson, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Killing Joke, John Cale, Micheal Brook, Bill Bruford...although I may be confusing some of those with Island Records who distributed some of the E'G records stuff...

Comment

Working...
                    X