X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• synkrotron
    replied
    Originally posted by Tetkik ve Tedavi View Post

I guess we will be forced to just enjoy the process of making music and not care at all about whether anyone else listens. :-(
    Situation Normal...

Leave a comment:

• Tetkik ve Tedavi
    replied
    Originally posted by Castleview View Post

I hear you on this one. It's even worse if you stop releasing music for a few years and then try to return. Also, some of the sites where I used to post my music don't give me as many plays as they used to, particularly Reddit which is kind of surprising.
    That's a bummer. I guess we will be forced to just enjoy the process of making music and not care at all about whether anyone else listens. :-(

Leave a comment:

• Castleview
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've added them to the first page. The situation with receiving no replies or taking years to release something through a label is really painful. For a full time musician, perhaps this is worth the effort and there may be little alternative. But I am in no way making money from music or planning to. I only want to be able to release through a label and to receive minimal support (perhaps some help or feedback about design and mastering) and some visibility.

What I did in the time that past since I started this thread was to release my album myself on bandcamp and while it worked out fine, getting exposure is really tough and once you exhaust your social network (they take a listen immediately after the release), you may get no plays at all. Like everyone else, I'm happier if more people listen to my music, so this is not ideal.

Let's keep searching for a solution. One alternative would be to set up a record label collectively. However, that probably needs dedicated people and may day job is certainly not going to allow much for that (I can barely find time to make music).
    I hear you on this one. It's even worse if you stop releasing music for a few years and then try to return. Also, some of the sites where I used to post my music don't give me as many plays as they used to, particularly Reddit which is kind of surprising.
    Last edited by Castleview; 08-06-2021, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tetkik ve Tedavi
    replied
    Originally posted by Fabio Keiner View Post

well, nbt you could start your very own netöabel, too! won't that be an idea? it's not that difficult (but time devouring - you could make it special by only allowing EPs with 10 minutes maximum - I'll be the first in applying for submission
    Yeah, I mentioned that idea (that we should collectively start a net label) above but I cannot lead such an endeavor due to life circumstances. So I'm not gonna push it here but maybe others will see this and there might be some collective momentum. cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Fabio Keiner
    replied

Thanks! Added these. I think months ago I actually got a reply to my inquiry from Aural Films and the person running it clearly laid out their requirements. So that was nice (I did not follow through because I had 9 minutes of materials but their minimum was 30 min).

Also, might be nice to figure which of these labels release into Spotify etc. instead of just bandcamp. Where I'm located, people don't really use bandcamp and they have complained to me that they would like my album to be on Spotify instead (or at least, Youtube and Soundcloud).
    well, nbt you could start your very own netöabel, too! won't that be an idea? it's not that difficult (but time devouring - you could make it special by only allowing EPs with 10 minutes maximum - I'll be the first in applying for submission

Leave a comment:

• Tetkik ve Tedavi
    replied
    Originally posted by Fabio Keiner View Post
    just to for dark ambienteers: https://kalpamantra.bandcamp.com .... and for fine moody soundscapes: https://auralfilms.bandcamp.com ... highly recomendable both of them
    Thanks! Added these. I think months ago I actually got a reply to my inquiry from Aural Films and the person running it clearly laid out their requirements. So that was nice (I did not follow through because I had 9 minutes of materials but their minimum was 30 min).

Also, might be nice to figure which of these labels release into Spotify etc. instead of just bandcamp. Where I'm located, people don't really use bandcamp and they have complained to me that they would like my album to be on Spotify instead (or at least, Youtube and Soundcloud).

Leave a comment:

• Fabio Keiner
    replied
    Originally posted by Morteza Jahangiri View Post
    I talked to Agor Sonus, one of Cryo Chamber artists last month, he told me it took him 5 years to be accepted by Simon(label guy) and now he's not receiving any new artist.
    Meanwhile
    ​​​I sent my songs to almost 11 labels. Sun See Sky Productions, Cryo Chamber, Recitals, 7K! , Ninja Tune, Kranky, Darla, All Saint Records, Modern Records, Slowcraft.
    Not even a reply I received. I should have killed myself.

​​​As I've been informed it's more about connections with artists and it does make a real difference when an artist sends your work to A&R guy rather than you doing that. And of course Authority. If you havent released an album so far, then to A&R person you havent had enough authority or credibility to work with.
    morteza, net-labels are even more haughty than 'real' profit labels... highly recomedable: https://auralfilms.bandcamp.com

Leave a comment:

• Fabio Keiner
    replied
    just to for dark ambienteers: https://kalpamantra.bandcamp.com .... and for fine moody soundscapes: https://auralfilms.bandcamp.com ... highly recomendable both of them

Leave a comment:

• Tetkik ve Tedavi
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've added them to the first page. The situation with receiving no replies or taking years to release something through a label is really painful. For a full time musician, perhaps this is worth the effort and there may be little alternative. But I am in no way making money from music or planning to. I only want to be able to release through a label and to receive minimal support (perhaps some help or feedback about design and mastering) and some visibility.

What I did in the time that past since I started this thread was to release my album myself on bandcamp and while it worked out fine, getting exposure is really tough and once you exhaust your social network (they take a listen immediately after the release), you may get no plays at all. Like everyone else, I'm happier if more people listen to my music, so this is not ideal.

Let's keep searching for a solution. One alternative would be to set up a record label collectively. However, that probably needs dedicated people and may day job is certainly not going to allow much for that (I can barely find time to make music).

Leave a comment:

• crepuscular
    replied
    Some labels indicate in their conditions for sending demos that they will only contact those in whom they are interested. Usually you will not be able to know why they are not interested in your material.

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied

That attitude should come from some tastemakers and music listeners. Is copying and pasting a message that really hard? An artist knows what a person has gone through to make a song. Just saying!
    I am sure that you have absolutely no idea of the situation...

How many people are now creating their own music? All wanting to be heard and submit to labels?

Leave a comment:

• Morteza Jahangiri
    replied
    Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
    I dunno... I imagine that labels must get overwhelmed with submissions each week and eventually stop bothering to reply to each and every one.

Same with radio stations...
    That attitude should come from some tastemakers and music listeners. Is copying and pasting a message that really hard? An artist knows what a person has gone through to make a song. Just saying!

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    I dunno... I imagine that labels must get overwhelmed with submissions each week and eventually stop bothering to reply to each and every one.

Same with radio stations...

Leave a comment:

• betadecay
    replied
    I talked to Agor Sonus, one of Cryo Chamber artists last month, he told me it took him 5 years to be accepted by Simon(label guy) and now he's not receiving any new artist.
    Yes, I also talked to him and he told me the same.

Meanwhil I sent my songs to almost 11 labels. Sun See Sky Productions, Cryo Chamber, Recitals, 7K! , Ninja Tune, Kranky, Darla, All Saint Records, Modern Records, Slowcraft.
    Not even a reply I received. I should have killed myself..
    That is very bad style. If a label rejects an album - why not, if they find, that it does not fit in their catalog, then it is okay. But it is not okay, that they do not answer! Even if they are busy: are one or two sentences too much? "Thanks for your demo, but it does not fit our style, please try elsewehere..."
    Last edited by betadecay; 08-11-2020, 01:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AEMC
    replied
    https://aemc.bandcamp.com/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X