Using Recorded Samples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Recorded Samples

Over the summer I picked up a DR-40 (Portable Recorder) on a discount with the lofty goal of adding more real world sounds to both my synths (the sample based granular ones) and my songs. What started out ambitious proved to be much more difficult than I imagined. When I add sounds from say...nature or an urban environment to my tracks, I felt as if they take away from the vibe of the track and I end up scrapping the idea. :frustrated:

What do you guys do? Are you carrying around that mini recording device in strange places and sampling odd sounds at every chance you get? Are you recording sounds from the real world and loading them up in Alchemy with much success? I LOVE the idea of it all (obviously), but usually end up messing with other people's presets until I find stuff that becomes useful and actually ends up in a final production. :roll:
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

I tend to just wing it here. My own work tends to be more recorded sample based...so it, more or less, derives from the samples themselves. For a slight example, recently a neighbour of ours finally finished the restoration of an old tractor-a Rumley Oil Pull 15-30. Said tractor has an interesting starting huff/chuffing sound that I found to be very useful in starting a particular kind of rhythm...

Lying it on to a track and then by masking it with my actual drumming-such as that is:roll:-leads to an exploration process...

Comment

I hope to get hold of a Zoom H2N in the near future. I would also like to make some nice pads from samples of my guitars.
      Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I bought a DR-05 a while back, thinking that I was going to use it for ambient sounds and spoken word, but I never did anything with it. It's become more of an audio reminder tool than anything else, but I don't even carry it around with me anymore, which is something I really should do.

I need to find a case for it to protect it when I'm traveling with it.

Comment

It's kind of on my (slowly growing) to-do list - although I did use some 'seaside' ambience I'd recorded with my phone :omg: as the intro/outro to a chillout track!
          My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
          Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Originally posted by trimph1 View Post
            Lying it on to a track and then by masking it with my actual drumming-such as that is:roll:-leads to an exploration process...
            Ohhhh I like that idea!!!! I'm definitely going to try that. See all I had to do was put the topic out there on the forum and got the inspiration I was looking for! Ambient Online rules. :D
            Synphaera Records
            Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Getting a portable recorder is on my list of things to do. I imagine it could very useful for adding natural ambience to electronically produced music, but I could see where it could easily be more trouble than it is worth. I already have tons of samples other people have recorded, so I hesitate to jump in and start recording my own since the sheer number of new samples could be overwhelming and ultimately counterproductive. I guess you could say I am ambivalent at the moment.

Comment

I use an Olympus LS-5 to record all kinds of things...sometimes I decide to carry it around with me for a few days...the recordings then slumber, ripen, .. you name it... on hard disk until they are used in a track, turned into a sampler patch or just played again with a nostalgic smile.
                www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

I'm very interested in using field recordings along with synths. I kinda have a little project now to use a single recorded sound as either a sound element or a modulation source in as many tracks as I can (so far only two though...). I'm currently trying to build a patch I like in Grain Science using it as the modulation source...nothing I really like yet!
                  I didn't use anything fancy to record it, just a free app for my iPhone. It ends up being a somewhat LoFi mono sound. Then I have been trying to mangle it beyond recognition - stomp on it, stretch it, reverse it, filter it whatever!

Comment

Originally posted by ho66it View Post
                    I'm very interested in using field recordings along with synths. I kinda have a little project now to use a single recorded sound as either a sound element or a modulation source in as many tracks as I can (so far only two though...). I'm currently trying to build a patch I like in Grain Science using it as the modulation source...nothing I really like yet!
                    I didn't use anything fancy to record it, just a free app for my iPhone. It ends up being a somewhat LoFi mono sound. Then I have been trying to mangle it beyond recognition - stomp on it, stretch it, reverse it, filter it whatever!
                    That's what I'm talking about!!! We now have a sample/patch repository here at AO (Under "Sound Design") so if you come up with something really good...be sure and share it with the group!
                    Synphaera Records
                    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Just ordered a Zoom H2n :D
                      Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I've had a Sony PCM-D50 recorder which has been sadly underutilized, but examples of its use can be found here (Freesound is an amazing site IMO), or this:
                        "Critics can’t stand these records, by and large, because in their search for eternal adolescence, they still want it all to be spunky and manic and witty."
                        -Brian Eno

Comment

Originally posted by Duckett View Post
                          (Freesound is an amazing site IMO)
                          It definitely is!!! I've got a bunch of good samples from freesound. Looks like you've got a bunch of cool sounds on your profile on there from back in the day. Can't wait to check them all out!!! Very cool duckett!!!!! :tu:
                          Synphaera Records
                          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

I really need to take my DR-05 around with me to catch sounds that I find interesting. Unfortunately it usually just sits on my desk. :(

Comment

I have sampled into Sir Sampleton directly with the iPad microphone or with a mic into Loopy and and then took the recordings into an editor and dirtied them up. Or loaded the sample into an app like NLog and overdubbed it with some FX. I did this with with a recording of my washing machine and then brought the processed sample back into a track.

With Audiobus you can have Loop as an output and input and run loops through NLog or JamUp Pro live and play on top of them for some pretty cool effects while recording it on a new track in Loopy.
                              https://soundcloud.com/steve-raizen
                              https://www.facebook.com/FrozenLonesome

Comment

Working...
                              X