X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here’s Why You Should Convert Your Music To 432 Hz

http://www.collective-evolution.com/...usic-to-432hz/

This article blew my mind... Just listen to the guitar example they provide and feel the music with your emotions instead of your mind. Does it sound better to you?

Many thanks to my buddy and AO user Ajna for sharing this. Oh and by the way, if you're interested in converting your EXISTING tracks to 432hz, there's a youtube link in the comments of the original article.

Currently listening to "Sun Cycles (Live) in 432hz...all I can say is, WOW! :hypnotized:

Cheers,
    -S1gns

p.s. Skeptics will have a field day with this one...but I don't care. Music is music, if it sounds better to you than someone else, so be it. ;)
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

interesting! Skeptics are ALWAYS having field days
    Sonic connoisseur and explorer of aural dimensions

www.introspectral.com
    https://www.facebook.com/IntroSpectral

Comment

I've avoided looking into this because:
      1) I was confusing it with the Just Intonation VS Equal Temperament argument which i'm already familiar with;
      2) The websites I'd seen were classic conspiracy theory memes complete with bad grammar and unreferenced assertion.

However that website is a bit more substantial and this one seems equally thorough. Much of my music is about atonality so i'm not sure whether this will influence me but i'm keen to see if I can hear a difference. Will give it a go later.

Thanks for the post.
      ][oyd

p.s. can we expect to see a lot of 432hz remixes coming out?
      Makrotulpa - SKON - Blog - Soundcloud

Comment

BTW the Dubbhism blog has some well argued skepticism about this.

I kinda agree that 432hz is just one tuning system however it is interesting that:

In the 432-standard, C is tuned to 512 Hz, 256 Hz, and all the way down to 128-64-32-16-8-4-2-1 Hz
        Which perhaps indicates it relates rather well to computer based music.

Dubbhism has an entire series on Musical Numerology.

Comment

I'm having a field day. Partially that is. :biggrin: From a music theory standpoint this is really interesting and "concert pitch" a matter of personal preference at the very least. Apart from matters such as just intonation(s) vs equal temperament, which seems appropriate in this context (isn't A=432hz in Pythagorean tuning?), I also enjoyed browsing all the conspiracy theories and the "musical healing based on-432hz esoterica I stumbled upon. I will have to explore some more. Anybody around here consciously using different pitches?
          www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

Originally posted by Makrotulpa View Post
            I've avoided looking into this because:
            1) I was confusing it with the Just Intonation VS Equal Temperament argument which i'm already familiar with;
            2) The websites I'd seen were classic conspiracy theory memes complete with bad grammar and unreferenced assertion.

However that website is a bit more substantial and this one seems equally thorough. Much of my music is about atonality so i'm not sure whether this will influence me but i'm keen to see if I can hear a difference. Will give it a go later.

Thanks for the post.
            ][oyd

p.s. can we expect to see a lot of 432hz remixes coming out?
            not really sure why 432Hz should sound better - as against 433 or 431 or 420 for that matter. But looking at the explanations I would say - there is nothing particularly interesting about the dynamics of 432Hz and the human body. The idea that there is a perfectable and singular human form seems to be something that attracts some people and at a broader cultural level seems to have an attraction within the USA. Maybe it is the modern form of 'manifest destiny' and religious notions of the promised land. Anyway you need to have some sort of singular and perfectable body for claims about universality of resonant phenomena to make sense - otherwise everyone would have different special frequencies.
            The stuff on that website is a classic example of a mismash of science and mysticism where the science is partial at best and wrong in most instances. (eg the cymatics stuff is silly - there is nothing about the dynamics or geometry of 432HZ that means it should be presented as a triangle - the standard representation of a sine wave in dynamics is as a limit cycle - a circle. The triangle thing most probably arises through the boundaries of the measurement device)

None of which means that dropping tuning lower (or pitch shifting down) doesn't sound better. But the explanations on the websites play a bit loose with the science.

Some people play pretty loose with measurements to get the idea that the universe and nature are filled with periodic phenomena that conform to integer arithmetic. Often they don't (eg earth rotation changes over a range of time scales, nautilus shells don't follow the fibonacci series nor does the cochlea as far as I know), or the measurement tools we have don't allow for that level of accuracy anyway (eg dna spectra)
            Last edited by GregH; 01-01-2014, 06:32 PM.
            BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I hope It's not true. I'm just coming to the end of a 31 month remix project :doh:
              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Woggle - have you looked at any of the Dubbhism stuff I posted? You might prefer it.
                There is a whole series on Musical Numerology starting here about the 432 and continuing about fractals, pythagoras etc. It's very interesting if a little snarky.
                I decided to experiment with the difference using Five 12 Numerology and my Nord Modular G1 with the results somewhat inconclusive. The primary problem being that while I can detune the synth it is only by semitones from 440hz so the closest I can get is -32 / 431.94hz. To my ears it doesn't sound better.

http://soundcloud.com/secretkillerofnames/a-study-in-440-and-432

Comment

Makrotulpa - I only saw Dubbhism after you linked to it before - very interesting blog and I pretty much agree with what is said there. I really don't get the magic of integers thing or the magic of particular integer ratios and sound - although I can hear and enjoy what people do with various xenharmonic systems. I also can't hear the big deal between 432 and 440, although I have always tended to tune acoustic instruments low anyway. But is 431 not as good, and what about 433? The claims for a magical 432 seem to imply that they wouldn't be.
                  BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Nice to see this thread sparked some conversation and debate. It did exactly the same on my facebook page...although the comments got pretty intense. I knew I could count on you guys to keep it civil and positive.

The AO community is the best! :D

Cheers,
                    -S1gns
                    Synphaera Records
                    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

There's a fine example in one of the quotations of the pseudo-science getting a little carried away with itself, with this assertion: 'the ancients tuned their instruments at A = 432Hz...' So who were 'the ancients'? Where did they live, or when? The word 'ancient' implies great age, so would these ancients have even known what a Hertz was, let alone be able to accurately measure pitch?

My own take on this: nothing more mystical than the old blues guitarist's trick of tuning the guitar a semitone flat (or the more modern-day extension of the same trick, dropping the tuning by four or five semitones). The strings are more slack, therefore will vibrate/resonate more strongly, therefore sounding 'better' or 'fuller' - or, more simply still, 'louder'.

In other words, dropping your tuning is going one louder...:D
                      My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
                      Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Originally posted by Thought Experiment View Post
                        So who were 'the ancients'?
                        klf.jpg

These are the ancients! :rotf:

When I had an electric guitar I tuned it to New Standard Tuning (C G D A E G) because it allowed me to make more interesting sounds. I'm originally a bass guitarist and not good at guitar chords. I'm not sure this 432hz thing is really a "thing" however with the right setup different tuning systems can be a tonne of fun.
                        Last edited by Makrotulpa; 01-02-2014, 04:46 AM. Reason: adding more

Comment

A friend of mine sent me this recently:

I agree with Makrotulpa that if nothing else different tunings can be a lot of fun. If there's anything else to it, well, I'll just defer to the sound and how it makes me feel and the images it conjures when I relax and close my eyes. Peace, y'all. CL

Comment

Originally posted by Makrotulpa View Post
                            Originally posted by Thought Experiment View Post
                            So who were 'the ancients'?
                            klf.jpg

These are the ancients! :rotf:
                            Nice one - I forgot about The Justified Ancients
                            My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
                            Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Originally posted by AstroAndMusic View Post
                              I agree with Makrotulpa that if nothing else different tunings can be a lot of fun. If there's anything else to it, well, I'll just defer to the sound and how it makes me feel and the images it conjures when I relax and close my eyes. Peace, y'all. CL
                              Well said - I used to love messing with different guitar tunings, and it can be a real cure for creative gridlock. I think what irritates a lot of people (myself included) is the attempt to 'validate' the mystical by shoehorning scientific terminology and technique into something which is far too nebulous and indefinable, something that perhaps isn't meant to be explained...

Comment

Working...
                              X