• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [reference chart] BPM delay values to the nearest millisecond

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calcula...mtempotime.htm
    Yello - The Eye
    https://youtu.be/XAWFWYjx38Q

Thanks for sharing!

This kind of charts seems to be highly sought after (and has been for decades now), but for me personally they have never had any value, and that is for several reasons (maybe some of you can relate):
    Firstly nowadays most delays are MIDI-synced anyway, so there's hardly any need for dialling in values manually.
    Secondly many delay units don't even offer the user to dial in those values, or they show neither BPM nor milliseconds (sometimes they don't even have a display!).
    Thirdly there are many different delay speeds to each tempo, which offer completely different feels to a rhythm.
    And fourthly (if that's a word) in many cases a value slightly off the correct value gives yet another different feel.
    So in consequence I never use any syncing for my delays, I never store any settings in delay or reverb units, and I never use the display for setting the values, I only do what my ears (or more correctly: my brain) is telling me to do.
    But don't let this spoil the fun of using charts for your delay settings - it's just an old man grumpling about modern-days techniques...

BTW: Try and play not only with delay times, but also with predelay times of reverb units (with their boundaries even being blurred by units like EHX Cathedral or EHX Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai) - there are brilliant relations to be found!

Cheers,
    Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Feinstrom View Post
      BTW: Try and play not only with delay times, but also with predelay times of reverb units (with their boundaries even being blurred by units like EHX Cathedral or EHX Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai) - there are brilliant relations to be found!

Cheers,
      Bert
      Thanks for the tips Bert

I must admit, predelay is something I tend to leave as whatever is set in the preset, so I'll have a play with this.

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Working...
      X