New Year's Day Studio Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year's Day Studio Session

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, but as I go into a lot of explanation of my methods during this hour and a half long session, and show you what equipment and software I use, I think it qualifies to be in this section.

The studio session involves recording additional tracks to a file exported from Ableton Live 10 with Reaktor 6 Skanner, iZoTope Iris 2 and Absynth 5 plugins on the TASCAM DP24-SD recorder. The discussion involves demonstration of tools and techniques used in the session for recording, mixing down, and mastering, as well as post-production techniques used with the equipment and software mentioned.

The song recorded during the session was the next to last addition to a collection started in 2010, which is titled 'An Anisotropic Amphora of a Salvador Dalian Dreamworld in Nightmarish Proportions'- obviously a tribute to the Surrealist artist Salvador Dali- I had collected 7 tracks up to that point, but never finished the collection. Many of the tracks were recorded in Reason 5, and some in FL Studio (various versions). Most all were post-processed and mastered in Adobe Audition, as I have been using it since it was owned by Syntrillium and originally called Cool Edit Pro. The song title is 'The Delusional Riposte of a Political Backwater Reptilian Societal Meme'. All the song titles reflect Dali's penchant for long convoluted titles to his paintings. The one early exception included in the collection is 'Hallucinogenic Toreador' which is a product of the Yamaha DX100, recorded on a 4-track cassette portastudio in 1988, and remastered and converted to digital format later on. But that is all info which is better served when I upload the collection to bandcamp and release later on.

This video deals with the 'nuts and bolts' of recording the song, mixing and mastering it, so the information on the song itself is incidental.

Any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

For those interested in Dali, more information can be found here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador_Dal%C3%AD

IMG_0933.JPG
    Last edited by Sonic Bodhi; 01-14-2019, 05:33 PM.
    https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
    https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
    https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Hi Avery,

Well done for taking the time to create this video.

I'll be honest and say that at around 100 minutes long I found it hard to stay focused. There are sections that you could trim out and get that time down, in my opinion. More work your end, but it would make it easier for people to watch all the way through.

Also, for something as long as this, it would benefit greatly from having a "track list," sort of thing. I have no idea how you do this with YouTube but I have seen long videos where the view is able to jump to sections of particular interest, rather than manually skipping through the video and perhaps missing something.

I found it interesting how you worked with your TASCAM DP-24SD "Portastudio." You have obviously gotten used to all the menu diving required. I still have a couple of hard disk recorders but I can't remember the last time I used them to record and create anything. I am to set on using my computer now... So much easier for me to manipulate stuff "in the box" and on a computer screen. But many people are still using hardware rather than software and I am in no way criticising your way of working. And at under £500 I think the DP-24SD is excellent value for money. I seem to remember paying around that for my Fostex 8 track and that is only 16bit.

I was a bit confused as to why you upscale your WAV file from 24bit/48kHz to 32bit/96kHz.

And I wasn't sure about the notch filtering bit, during "mastering." Would it not be better to catch that resonance on the offending track in the TASCAM?

I guess that this video, more than anything, demonstrates that, as always, there is more than one way of skinning the proverbial cat!

cheers

andy
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

I was a bit confused as to why you upscale your WAV file from 24bit/48kHz to 32bit/96kHz.

And I wasn't sure about the notch filtering bit, during "mastering." Would it not be better to catch that resonance on the offending track in the TASCAM?

I guess that this video, more than anything, demonstrates that, as always, there is more than one way of skinning the proverbial cat!

cheers

andy
      It's simple, really- because of the higher resolution, you get a more accurate noise reduction profile. No other reason than that, really.

Also, my TASCAM does not have a built-in limiter or notch filter, so this has to be done in post-processing on the pc- the only thing that is onboard in the mastering section is a compressor and an equalizer. Also, you can't apply the filter to only the section of the wave file that needs correction- you have to apply it to the whole file in the TASCAM- unfortunately this is the drawback. So if you don't have your levels set exactly where you need them, it's hard to correct from just the hardware recorder. On the PC, I can pinpoint exactly where I need to fix the problems without having to involve the parts that don't need fixed.

You're right, it is a bit long, but had I not trimmed out what I trimmed already, the video would be a tedious 2 hours longer or more. I spent approximately a week trimming and putting in transitions, and even at that, the video is admittedly too long. I wish I had more motivation, but after a week of trimming and positioning the video clips exactly in order, I just got tired, so I did the titling when I got done- and rendered the file- the first time, I did a prerender, which produced an avi file that was 396 GB in size- WAY too big. So I deleted that and used my normal youtube settings- and even that turned out to be a whopping 86 GB, although my video player dutifully played it without hitching- but way too much time would have been invested in uploading to youtube, so I used the barest HD streaming setting, managed to trim the file size down to 11 GB, and took a couple of hours to upload it. I have cable internet so it didn't take as long, since I have 11 Mbps upstream.

Thank you for having the patience to watch and comment! It's much appreciated!
      https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
      https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
      https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
      https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Hi Avery

Originally posted by Sonic Bodhi View Post

It's simple, really- because of the higher resolution, you get a more accurate noise reduction profile. No other reason than that, really.

Also, my TASCAM does not have a built-in limiter or notch filter, so this has to be done in post-processing on the pc- the only thing that is onboard in the mastering section is a compressor and an equalizer. Also, you can't apply the filter to only the section of the wave file that needs correction- you have to apply it to the whole file in the TASCAM- unfortunately this is the drawback. So if you don't have your levels set exactly where you need them, it's hard to correct from just the hardware recorder. On the PC, I can pinpoint exactly where I need to fix the problems without having to involve the parts that don't need fixed.
        Ah, I see, so the TASCAM is good, but it does have its limitations, unsurprisingly I suppose. Still good value for money though, I think.

You're right, it is a bit long, but had I not trimmed out what I trimmed already, the video would be a tedious 2 hours longer or more. I spent approximately a week trimming and putting in transitions, and even at that, the video is admittedly too long. I wish I had more motivation, but after a week of trimming and positioning the video clips exactly in order, I just got tired, so I did the titling when I got done- and rendered the file- the first time, I did a prerender, which produced an avi file that was 396 GB in size- WAY too big. So I deleted that and used my normal youtube settings- and even that turned out to be a whopping 86 GB, although my video player dutifully played it without hitching- but way too much time would have been invested in uploading to youtube, so I used the barest HD streaming setting, managed to trim the file size down to 11 GB, and took a couple of hours to upload it. I have cable internet so it didn't take as long, since I have 11 Mbps upstream.
        Well, now that you say that I understand that the process was a long one and that motivation would indeed diminish somewhat. I don't think I would even contemplate such a thing and, like I said above, you did well to create what you have.

Thank you for having the patience to watch and comment! It's much appreciated!
        My pleasure, Avery

cheers

andy
        I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Working...
        X