Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

Hi,

I should have picked up on this last night.

What exactly do you mean? MIDI is just digital, note numbers, controllers, other parameters, and has nothing to do with sound. So I am now confused as to what you are referring to.

cheers

andy
    Hey Synkrotron - I know midi just just conveys data with no sound but...if you have a VST...it sounds quite good compared to other recording formats like instrument cable > interface or using a mic to get your signal from a speaker.

So in comparison I'm just asking for methods on going like synth into interface in order to get sounds from the synth itself for an audio track. To my ears - without lots of EQing - this never sounds as good as my VST + midi combo.

Comment

Ah, right, yeah, that's what I thought. You cannot beat software synths and effects for sound quality.

I am currently using two outboard effects units. The HX Effects by Line 6 isn't too bad with noise registering at around -84dB but the Lexicon MPX500 idles at around -75dB. Still quite low, though, really, so I'm not too worried.

My hardware synths also idle at around the -80dB mark...

When nothing is playing and I wind up the volume you can certainly here the hiss.

I suppose we could argue that that's the beauty of good old analogue haha!

We could ask Sonic Bodhi to chip in here... He uses Adobe Audition, I think, to eliminate noise as much as possible. Something to do with a "noise profile." I watched him do it in his long video that he posted here:-

https://www.ambientonline.org/forum/...studio-session

The problem with using EQ to try an eliminate noise is that that noise will sometimes be at the same pitch as the stuff you want to keep. I think this is where the "noise profile" thing comes in because it picks up on that noise during the totally quiet parts and then, using some magic stuff, reduces that noise, somehow...

cheers, and thanks,

andy
      I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Might be worth checking the cables from the synth are shielded well and isolated from other cables. I can pick up the noise of my hard drives spinning up through some of my cables!

Waves X-Noise is good for profiling and surgical noise reduction. It also seems to mellow out lively parts if just left on a track, or even a master bus, on it's default setting. It can result in a more muted (in a good way) mix.

Comment

I have a few different sets of headphones including the ATH-M50. I would have advised against buying them, but too late now.
          Last edited by annode; 01-23-2019, 04:30 PM.
          "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
          Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

Comment

Originally posted by annode View Post
            I have a few different sets of headphones including the ATH-M50. I would have advised against buying them, but too late now.
            I've been thinking about buying new headphones. Something with a flat frequency response for mixing. Just curious if you have any recommendations?
            Bandcamp | Youtube | SoundCloud

Comment

Originally posted by dreamware View Post

I've been thinking about buying new headphones. Something with a flat frequency response for mixing. Just curious if you have any recommendations?
              I'll make a recommendation here hoping it doesn't start a whole group of phones reviews.
              The AKG K240mkII are an excellent choice.
              They are open-air design, a must for hearing a true sense of spacial position. Not to mention very light and comfortable to wear over hrs of listening.
              The least with ear fatigue as well.
              You can mix music with these, especially ambient and get a good enough result, but always best to have monitors to compare against.
              These phones make you smile and go "ahhh" when you listen to ambient through them.
              They are not expensive either.
              EDIT - Make sure you get both the leather and velvet ear cushions in your box. I've had these for yrs, so maybe they stopped the velvet cushions.
              The velvet is so much more comfy!
              Last edited by annode; 01-30-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

That's fantastic annode ; definitely in my price range and comfort is pretty important to me as a lot of headphones hurt my ears after extended wear. Thanks for the recommendation
                Bandcamp | Youtube | SoundCloud

Comment

That's fantastic annode ; definitely in my price range and comfort is pretty important to me as a lot of headphones hurt my ears after extended wear. Thanks for the recommendation
                  Glad to hear. I haven't used mine in some time, so writing this got me wanting to listen to them...which I am now listening to Star's End and enjoying them completely.
                  BTW,came back to tell you a few reviews I read claimed that these phones will grab onto long hair when removing them. Beware.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                    As for recommendations on synths, I've found Arturia's V-Collection extremely useful.
                    I'd second that!
                    Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

Sennheiser HD280 Pros are good
                      Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

Originally posted by YnotB View Post

Sennheiser HD280 Pros are good
                        I second that opinion. Arguably the best pair of sub-$100 headphones on the market. I use them when tracking with open mics. Fair isolation, and not too colored, except maybe lightly on the bass end.

My son still uses a pair I bought him in the late 90's; He used them for his iPod through High School and College (graduated 3 years ago). Replaced the pads just once, about 7 years ago.

For mixing duties, I'd still recommend getting a good pair of open-backed phones, though the HD280's will certainly do fine. I use AKG702's, and have been really satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                        X