Ambient Chords and Scales.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonic Bodhi View Post

You will find choir loops in Brian Eno's first ambient album, actually. Ambient 1 Music for Airports.
    Very important album for me. Eno is the ultimate influencer to me.

Comment

i really like implementing color chords in my work. lots of 7, 9, and 11 chords.
      it's really dependent on the adsr of the instrument you're using, as well as the harmonic movement of the song. if you're playing a lot of dissonant intervals with pads or reverb-laden instruments, that can really clutter the mix.
      more importantly, it depends on the vibe you're going for. ambient is so vast, just like any genre.
      i dig your use of whole tone harmony in the song you posted. it feels very disoriented and dreamy.

Comment

Originally posted by bu.re_ View Post
        i really like implementing color chords in my work. lots of 7, 9, and 11 chords.
        Lately, I have beent exploring rootless extended chords. These are used heavily in jazz.

Minor 7th +6 +9 but without the root. In the right hand play an improv that hits the root often.

I am still at the beginning of learning this, but the results sound promising. Video below says it's easy ... hahaha. His channel is a worthy sub.

Slowed way down and with ambient styling could be rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hACDMj5QGZY

Comment

Originally posted by Codehead View Post
          Lately, I have beent exploring rootless extended chords. These are used heavily in jazz.

Minor 7th +6 +9 but without the root. In the right hand play an improv that hits the root often.

I am still at the beginning of learning this, but the results sound promising. Video below says it's easy ... hahaha. His channel is a worthy sub.

Slowed way down and with ambient styling could be rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hACDMj5QGZY
          minor 7 with a sharp 6 and 9?
          the voicings in that video are nice! thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by bu.re_ View Post
            minor 7 with a sharp 6 and 9?
            Oops, Minor 7th add 69? I am still learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Codehead View Post
              Oops, Minor 7th add 69? I am still learning.
              minor 69 is okay. + is sharp in notation, mostly jazz.

Comment

When I used traditional instruments - like guitar - I didn't use traditional harmonies or scales all that much - instead I would often detune the guitar by ear so that one had fret determined linear intervals but the vertical intervals were from anywhere. The last piece I posted is a good example of that. https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/th...nd-two-tunings But also I did things like use fretless instruments and determined the "frets" by marking divisions based on my finger widths (like old school cubits, but in music).. For synths tho for the last year or so I have been using traditional relationships as in tempered tunings and chords.But mostly I do everything by ear as far as the musical harmonic and scalar relations are concerned and leave quite a bit to chance. I haven't though about things like cadences for decades, although I might use that effect of closure if I think the piece needs it - maybe I often do, dunno. Anyway this is the sort of harmony I have been using lately

https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/wo...r-dreamy-track
                BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dreamware View Post
                  I don't have much to add, sorry, but it's a great question and something I think about often. I'd like to hear what others think. When I'm creating drones, I don't usually stack multiple chords, instead picking just one. But I like to loop in some notes in a higher frequency in a key that has that chord, give it a lot of reverb and smooth out the transients. Pretty basic, but it gives my drone some movement.

I'm also always thinking about good ambient chord progressions. My challenge is finding progressions that sound melancholy and bittersweet, but also not super minor-key-sounding. I'm not that knowledgeable about music theory so it's a lot of trial and error.
                  Check out Scaler. Sounds like just what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by micheronfire View Post
                    With my Ambient stuff I really don't think in that way, because I want to feel more what is fitting and not all of the stuff is based on harmonies anyway.
                    I'm the same on this topic, it's Bruce Lee-esque.

"Don't think, feeeeeeeel."

Comment

Working...
                    X