Crediting your Sound Design processes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crediting your Sound Design processes

A post elsewhere on this forum got me thinking, "when should we in fact credit a particular sound design process."

By "sound design process," I mean, what instruments, effects, any mangling of samples, that sort of thing.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I will give my thoughts if an when we get this discussion rolling...

cheers

andy
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

I'm inclined to think that instruments and effects are there to be used and do not require crediting. Samples should be credited, but effects used to alter samples, again not....
    Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

Hiya Tony,

Originally posted by YnotB View Post
      Samples should be credited
      Just to confirm, do you mean samples created by a "third party?" And even some purchased sample sets declare that they do not need crediting.

I sometimes create my own sound samples and I generally wouldn't credit those.

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
        Hiya Tony,

do you mean samples created by a "third party?" And even some purchased sample sets declare that they do not need crediting.

I sometimes create my own sound samples and I generally wouldn't credit those.
        Yes, 3rd party samples. However, now you've got me to think a bit more about it, I also have some 3rd party samples that say they do not require crediting, in which case they don't, IMHO. I agree that there's no need to credit our own work if we're not using other people's sound creations in it, so samples taken from our own sources don't need credit.

Comment

By "sound design process," I mean, what instruments, effects, any mangling of samples, that sort of thing.
          Okay, you got me a little confused now chap. Are we talking about recognising 3rd parties for their samples or simply describing the technique used to arrive at a given sound? Or maybe it's a combination of both?!?!
          .oO REALM Oo.
          Facebook || Soundcloud || Bandcamp

Comment

Hi Gavin,

Originally posted by Realm View Post
            Okay, you got me a little confused now chap. Are we talking about recognising 3rd parties for their samples or simply describing the technique used to arrive at a given sound? Or maybe it's a combination of both?!?!
            Regarding the samples side of things, I think it is a given that we abide by the user agreement that comes with the samples. So, if credit is asked for then is should be given and if no credit is required then none is given.

So that leaves techniques used to arrive at a given sound, which is what I am trying to raise and discuss here.

I think one good example is a tool called Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch, which I usually always credit in my creations, mainly out of guilt because more than a few people think that it is a lazy method of producing drones.

Another is Adaptiverb which, for me at least, has been a game changer when used for drone creation.

And one more is MGranularMB, which I also use a lot.

cheers

andy

Comment

Hi Gavin,

I think one good example is a tool called Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch, which I usually always credit in my creations, mainly out of guilt because more than a few people think that it is a lazy method of producing drones.

Another is Adaptiverb which, for me at least, has been a game changer when used for drone creation.

And one more is MGranularMB, which I also use a lot.

cheers

andy
              I see no reason to credit any of that.

Comment

For describing the techniques involved in how you created a certain sound or sounds, I think that's up to you if you want to share that info with people. The exception I would make is if you love a certain piece of gear and want to give a shoutout to the manufacturer by crediting which specific piece of gear by them you used. Put it in the credits on the release, send them a copy, and see if you can then turn that into a sponsorship deal
                Last edited by Pharos; 04-09-2019, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharos View Post
                  . Put it in the credits on the release, send them a copy, and see if you can then turn that into a sponsorship deal
                  Good one

Comment

Originally posted by YnotB View Post

I see no reason to credit any of that.
                    I think you are right, Tony, and it was probably silly of me to even start this topic.

Like I said, I sometimes feel like I have somehow cheated when using something like PESS and feel that I have to mention it. Whereas, when I check comments of the few tracks that I used PESS on everyone agrees that it is the final result that matters, not how we get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharos View Post
                      For describing the techniques involved in how you created a certain sound or sounds, I think that's up to you if you want to share that info with people. The exception I would make is if you love a certain piece of gear and want to give a shoutout to the manufacturer by crediting which specific piece of gear by them you used. Put it in the credits on the release, send them a copy, and see if you can then turn that into a sponsorship deal
                      Yes, good points.

I've had the odd like from a plugin creator on Twitter, but no sponsorship deal yet haha!

Comment

I often list gear, hardware or soft.

Mostly for cool points, which I exchange for upgrades to my implants.

Comment

synkrotron It sounds to me like what you were originally suggesting was to credit every bit of kit we use ... hardware synths, DAW, VSTs, plugins, outboard gear, etc. If a traditional acoustic band did this they would be considered mad (afterall, a guitar's a guitar's a guitar ain't it?! ;) )

But in all seriousness, I think there's some value in listing the tools used simply for the benefit of others. A FB group I am a member of stipulates that if you want to post a link to one of your tracks, you must also write a few lines around how it was produced. Many, myself included, provide a kit list although I think it's actually more useful to talk around the creative processes involved.

So, whilst you say that it's the end result that matters (and I agree) ... it can also be very interesting, enlightening, and educational to learn others' creative processes.
                          .oO REALM Oo.
                          Facebook || Soundcloud || Bandcamp

Comment

Originally posted by Realm View Post
                            It sounds to me like what you were originally suggesting was to credit every bit of kit we use ... hardware synths, DAW, VSTs, plugins, outboard gear, etc.
                            Yeah, I was being a bit vague. Sorry about that.

Comment

I post info relating to instruments/FX used on my tracks/albums. Some people seem to be interested in that kind of thing, and my memory ain't what it used to be.
                              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Working...
                              X