Crediting your Sound Design processes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
    I post info relating to instruments/FX used on my tracks/albums. Some people seem to be interested in that kind of thing, and my memory ain't what it used to be.
    Your memory is pants.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post

Your memory is pants.
      Excellent use of the word Pants there aoVI
      I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

I've just thought of a situation where Peeps sometimes go out of their way to say what they have NOT used in a particular piece, although not necessarily to do with ambient stuff.

Autotune is one thing that is quite often used by some artists and much maligned by others, so you will therefore get the non-users stating, "no Autotune was used on this song!"

Or even the quantisation process, which is quite common enough... Some artists feel that they need to be quite specific in denying the use of such a process.

And then there are the hardware purists who go out of there way to state that no software processing was used in the creation of such and such.

So, whereas some of us believe that it is quite okay to use many, and any process we feel is necessary to get us where we want to be, others are quick to dismiss anything that doesn't meet their own beliefs.

And back to PESS, as an example, a few times, even on this forum, you get the odd person dismissing it for some reason or other. And that is why I feel guilty for using it and hence, when I do use it, I make it clear in the credits for the piece.

Comment

Your memory is pants.
          If memories were pants, I'd need a new wardrobe
          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

Autotune is one thing that is quite often used by some artists and much maligned by others, so you will therefore get the non-users stating, "no Autotune was used on this song!"
            The early Queen albums used to state - "No synthesizers"

Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Probably why I never bought any Queen albums, early or otherwise

Around that same era, synths got a really bad press, especially from the MU, if I remember correctly. Now the MU accept DJ's too

https://www.muhistory.com/contact-us/1971-1980/

A tour by Barry Manilow which instead of featuring an orchestra (as on his previous tour) involved a number of synthesiser players raised issues about the replacement of string players. A meeting of the Central London Branch in May 1982 passed a motion for an outright ban on synthesisers, which though never official policy of the Union (the Executive Committee passed a much more nuanced resolution on their use in November) attracted a huge amount of attention, notably among synth players themselves (some of whom briefly formed an organisation called the Union of Sound Synthesists) and the music press, the NME characterising the Central London Branch as “MU loonies.”

Comment

I never read that as a statement against synths, but just clarifying that the sounds were made using more traditional rock instruments.

Big Queen fan during the second half of the 70's.

Comment

credit for samples yes - for processes and software - not really, except to give info to the listener.

if some people have a problem with what has been used to create a track, they can toddle off somewhere else. for me, it's the final sound that matters - what has been created by the artist and how it makes me feel. the hows and the whats are irrelevant.

it's common for the ignorant to claim that the computers do the work but we know better - it's the creativity that the user brings to the computer that gives music it's spirit (and you can tell i'm being serious here because i went to the trouble of using italics...)
                  https://soundcloud.com/quietist

Comment

I never read that as a statement against synths, but just clarifying that the sounds were made using more traditional rock instruments.
                    Yeah, but, I think that you will find that it was more to do with the general feeling towards synthesizers at that time, as per the link and quote I posted for the Musician's Union in my previous post. But, then again, I haven't spoken to any from the Queen band in person so this is entirely my opinion

But for me it still begs the question, why put that on the sleeve notes in the first place. There must be millions of bands out there that don't use synthesizers and it seems daft to me.

I did a search, though, and found this:-

On the first album, Brian did a lot of stuff on guitar featuring specific harmony guitars, which was a fairly new thing at the time. And a lot of reviewers in England - I can quote one, Chris Welch in the Melody Maker, a paper famous for its inaccuracy, I might add - said "Great use of synthesizers here!" and of course it was all guitar, and that got up our noses quite a lot... We were a bit put off by the early synthesizers and decided we would actually say from then on - for the next 4 albums or so - that we had no synthesizers on them.
                    from here:-

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...sizers.272810/

Comment

Originally posted by The Quietist View Post
                      for me, it's the final sound that matters
                      And it should be the same for me, Phil, but, you know, peer pressure and all that

Comment

Working...
                      X