• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Sample Dare #9

Alright, let's kick this off!
    the source sample can be found here:

http://soundcloud.com/phoenstorm/ao1samplechallenge-tweety-bell/s-xDpBG

As the name implies, it's a recording of birds, birds & bells. And the hum of the city. Enjoy!

Rules are:

1. Additional samples, soundfonts, synths, samplers are NOT permitted (except instruments which will use only given contest sample loaded). Any other processing of contest sample is permitted.

2. You can use as many copies of original sample as you want, each processed with respect to Rule 1.

3. Time for submissions is THREE weeks.

4. Submissions should be uploaded to place available for all AO members. Links should be posted in thread dedicated to given round.
    Please, do not use hosting with countdown, CAPTCHA and other obstacles.

5. Winner of contest is chosen by votes of AO members.

6. Winner of contest chooses sample for next contest.

7. Winner SHOULD disclose the formula for winning track for the benefit of community.
    Last edited by MetaDronos; 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM. Reason: Illegibility of Rules due to copy&paste from lighter theme?
    www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Excellent, lots of little details to pick apart.
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks...very much looking forward to the results coming in :biggrin:

Comment

What doe's, do not use hosting with countdown, CAPTCHA and other obstacles mean?

Also I don't understand this >

except instruments which will use only given contest sample loaded.
        Any other processing of contest sample is permitted.

Or this >
        Winner SHOULD disclose the formula for winning track for the benefit of community?
        ....doe's that mean, to explain how they mixed their track?

Could you please explain alittle more in lamens terms
        ....what all the above mean?

I just don't understand what the rules mean.
        and what it is exactly that you want an AO member to do?
        As you know I am new, so learning the ropes in here is alittle scatty for me

Thanks
        Last edited by meta4; 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM.
        life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Comment

Hi,
          I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge - if you have more questions, Metadronos is in charge of supervising this part of the forum, he'll be able to clarify, too.

So, the overall goal of this "game" is, you only get one sample ...in this case the one I uploaded, and you can only use this as a basis: no synths, no other sounds allowed - however, you can process, mangle, sample, etc. the sample in anyway you like - all the tracks you find in the other threads have been created using this method. That's the fun part - it's a challenge & it forces you to be creative with little.

As for your particular questions: 1) hosting without CAPTCHA and so on simply means, if you are providingthe sample (as I did this time round) make sure there's no hassle and everybody can quickly & easily download the file.
          2) As mentioned above, no other samples, synths, etc. allowed - however, you can process the one sample any way you want.
          3)Exactly as you understood it. If you submit, or later when you win, tell the others how you made the track - we all might learn something this way.

ok - hope this answers some questions!
          cheers, phoenstorm

Comment

Ok thanks for the quick reply.

I will give it a shot.
            Last edited by meta4; 10-31-2013, 02:21 AM.

Comment

cool! looking forward to that! in your earlier post you mentioned daw tools - yes but also all kinds of other plugins...a lot of people here like to stretch audio; samplers, and even some synths can process samples - just make sure no other soundsources are added - apart from that, go wild !

Comment

Yeh I deleted that post regarding my mentioning of the daw application, as I felt it may have been a silly thing to ask, of course a daw/vstfx's can be used lol.

But yeh nice 1 for the heads up, I will deffo give it a whirl, and thanks again for your patience n time with my questions about the rules.

I just felt alittle in the dark about them, but am learning :thumbsup:

Comment

"Apturtuduci" submission track

Synths: Ambitron, Image-Line Harmor, iZotope Iris.

Effects: DFX TransVerb, FloodVerb, MMultibandChorus, MMultibandHarmonizer,
                  Reflex Pro2, SaltyGrain, SparkVerb, SpectrumWorx, ValhallaRoom.

Tools: Akoff Composer, Audiobulb Ambient, PhotoSounder, SynthFont2.

http://soundcloud.com/metadronos/apturtuduci
                  SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
                  Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
                  "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

my apologies for an apparently uninspiring sample - well...that's the wrong way of putting it because Metadronos' aturtuduci absolutely rocks! Come on, you simply forgot to upload here, let us hear what you came up with :biggrin:

Comment

Redacted

Not really happy with this one, a lot of the complexity I was hoping for got lost in the 'mastering' (ha! just compression to even it out a little...)

But if you're into clangy, droney murk then it may be for you.

Not much to this one, chopped up samples with some delay, dusting of reverb and a couple of tracks processed with the Stellar reaktor ensemble (different settings fading in and out).
                      Last edited by GaryG; 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Thread opened again.
                        OSD #9 ends 17th of November. Please, do not miss second deadline.
                        Last edited by MetaDronos; 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM.
                        SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
                        Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
                        "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

thanx so much fer lettin me add this to the contest...

and so i give you Thundercougarfalconbird...

http://www.reverbnation.com/sleepdata/song/19144743-thundercougarfalconbird
                          Last edited by ARshawn; 11-11-2013, 01:13 AM.
                          https://soundcloud.com/sleep-data

Comment

A second chance. I like it.

Comment

https://soundcloud.com/lighthugger/ao9-grey-sky-hopes

Ok, seeing as we have more time I had another go at 'mastering' my entry...

Managed to lose a lot of the murk so hopefully some of my intentions come through a bit better now.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X