• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Sample Dare #9 Voting

One Sample Dare #9 Voting

This is the poll for One Sample Dare Challenge #9

Voting is open for one week.

Vote for a member who you think has created the best entry.

You can vote for more than one track.

Submitted entries:

ARshawn "Thundercougarfalconbird"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/sleepdat...ugarfalconbird

GaryG "Grey Sky Hopes"
    http://soundcloud.com/lighthugger/ao9-grey-sky-hopes

MetaDronos "Apturtuduci"
    http://soundcloud.com/metadronos/apturtuduci
    ARshawn "Thundercougarfalconbird"
    30.77%
    GaryG "Grey Sky Hopes"
    30.77%
    MetaDronos "Apturtuduci"
    38.46%

The poll is expired.

SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
    Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
    "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

I had assumed that we had through the 17th to submit. I'm out of town again,but took my laptop and pt my tracks together, just had to mix and master when I get home this evening. I'm sure this wasn't a winining track, but it's still a little aggravating. I suggest in the future that the closing date "and time" be posted.

Having a fixed data and time for challenge events may also be helpful. For instance:

1) All challenges start on the first of the month and end on the 16th at midnight CET.
    2) Voting closes on the 23nd at midnight CET
    3) The winner has 5 days to submit a sample to the moderator for the next challenge. If a new sample is not submitted by midnight CET on the 27th, the moderator will choose one.

This would ensure the contest period had two complete weekends no matter which time zone the participant is in. All dates are also known ahead of time this way.

Comments anyone?

Comment

I am hoping to get in on the next one, but it is a steep learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciberithm View Post
        I had assumed that we had through the 17th to submit. I'm out of town again,but took my laptop and pt my tracks together, just had to mix and master when I get home this evening. I'm sure this wasn't a winining track, but it's still a little aggravating. I suggest in the future that the closing date "and time" be posted.

Having a fixed data and time for challenge events may also be helpful. For instance:

1) All challenges start on the first of the month and end on the 16th at midnight CET.
        2) Voting closes on the 23nd at midnight CET
        3) The winner has 5 days to submit a sample to the moderator for the next challenge. If a new sample is not submitted by midnight CET on the 27th, the moderator will choose one.

This would ensure the contest period had two complete weekends no matter which time zone the participant is in. All dates are also known ahead of time this way.

Comments anyone?
        Speaking as a non-participatory mangler, I think your suggestion has merit. A regular schedule tends to foster habit. The key part of this would be ensuring that the winner's sample is ready in time for the next challenge.
        Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

We can add the following statement to Challenge rules:

"Time for submissions is 336 hours starting from time of post with initial sample."

(336 = 14 days of 24 hours)
          Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.

Comment

My suggestions were made to try and establish known event times for each phase of the challenge. The way it is now, sometimes the time period ends in the morning, and sometimes the middle of the night. I f I knew ahead of time, then I and others can plan for it. I would prefer it always end at midnight - or 3 am - or 7pm - as long as it is consistent. The current system does not even let us know when the contest has started, unless you constantly stare at the post listings. The last time extension had gone on two days before I even knew about it. It seems like we have a Sample and Hold LFO for the start and end dates now.

I was being serious when I made suggestions and asked for comments. We need more participation in the challenges, and the current trend has been downwards. When the voting period ends and the poll isn't closed, no winner is announced, and no new sample uploaded, it appears to me and others that this challenge may not be worth putting in hours of work (or more) to produce an entry. I would also think the fact that it took the moderator of this contest 4 days to respond to my comments, that this thread is not actively monitored, as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciberithm View Post
              I would also think the fact that it took the moderator of this contest 4 days to respond to my comments, that this thread is not actively monitored, as it should be.
              I preferred to wait for other comments, because making my own. I monitor OSD threads (and most of other ones, as moderator) on daily basis.
              My suggestion is to determine end of submission time with its start time. Like I said, 336 hours, counting from time of post with initial sample.
              Rules like "always at midnight" will change total time - for example, 14 days are not the same when someone posts sample at 11:45PM or 00:15 AM...

Constant number of hours, with counter starting with sample post time - I think it is most simple and "algorithmic" choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MetaDronos View Post
                Constant number of hours, with counter starting with sample post time - I think it is most simple and "algorithmic" choice.
                It might be if people actually uploaded the sample at a predetermined time. As it is, the contest ending period is based around whenever the poll gets closed, which hasn't been consistent, and after a winner is declared, we have had new samples uploaded anywhere from within a few hours to over a week. I hardly find that to be simple and algorithmic.

Either way, you and I seem to be the only ones with an opinion one way or the other, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Seems like everybody has waited for everybody else's response

I see the clarity in your algorithmic way of arriving at the deadline, Metadronos, but I'd like to suggest another method. I think this is also the way that KVRaudio manages their competitions:
                  although we all come from different timezones, this forum runs on GMT - 6 - seeing where S1gns hails from it might go to -8 at one point, but what I'm saying, we have a time we can all agree on and that is displayed at the bottom of each page of this forum... I copied & pasted just now: