This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Sample Dare #11

Sample is a recording of a motorized knife sharpener. In addition to the MP3 on SoundCloud, I have posted a link to the WAV file in a few formats.

https://soundcloud.com/david-maestas-1/knife-sharpener-96-24

Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x62oja9buprspya/dZPiU8Uswo

Rules are:

1. Additional samples, soundfonts, synths, samplers are NOT permitted (except instruments which will use only given contest sample loaded). Any other processing of contest sample is permitted.

2. You can use as many copies of original sample as you want, each processed with respect to Rule 1.

3. Time for submissions is 16 days, counted to midnight, UTC, of 16th day.

It means Thursday, 9 January 2014, 23:59 UTC.4. Submissions should be uploaded to place available for all AO members. Links should be posted in thread dedicated to given round. Please, do not use hosting with countdown, CAPTCHA and other obstacles.

5. Sample is provided under CC0 (public domain) license.

6. Winner of contest is chosen by votes of AO members.

7. Winner of contest chooses sample for next contest.

8. Winner SHOULD disclose the formula for winning track for the benefit of community.
    Last edited by S1gnsOfL1fe; 12-24-2013, 06:55 PM.

Is there a reason why your post is grey on grey? o.O Maybe it's my browser, but I swear I've seen it from time to time on Chrome and Safari >.>

Time to play!

Well, I don't even get off work for an hour and a half. But then...!
    Last edited by KrisM; 12-24-2013, 05:32 PM.
    Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisM View Post
      Is there a reason why your post is grey on grey? o.O Maybe it's my browser, but I swear I've seen it from time to time on Chrome and Safari >.>
      It wasn't your browser, it might be a glitch in the ZoneBlue template. However, I've noticed it happens with Ciberithm's posts more often than others...perhaps he's trying to secretly encode his messages? :D I fixed it...but if you see it again, let me know! We'll get to the bottom of this one...

In regards to the sample, this is going to be CRAZY. :maniac: :eek:
      Synphaera Records
      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
        ...I've noticed it happens with Ciberithm's posts more often than others...perhaps he's trying to secretly encode his messages? :D
        The subliminal messages worked in challenge number 10..."Vote for me"..."Vote for me"..."Vote for me"...:D

Comment

If it makes a difference, I'm just using a Chrome browser to make the posts. For this one I just cut and paste the text from challenge #10 and changed the date and sample links.

Comment

I have noticed that Chrome/this forum (and Elektronauts, actually), if you copy/paste it often brings the background and stuff with it, not just raw text. might be something to do with it. i.e. if you copy white text on a site with a black background and paste it into a post, it'll be black bars with white text o.O

This doesn't explain the grey text, though, now that I think about it.

In other news, I converted the 24-bit 48KHz to 44.1KHz if anyone needs it (I doubt all you software people care :p but my Octatrack needs 44.1KHz samples lol).
            Meh.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on cut and paste. The text may get it's color from the stylesheet for the color scheme, although the background should as well.

I usually set my recorder for 88/24 but for some reason it was set to 96 when I recorded the sound. I uploaded a 44/16 sample, but not a 24/16. I'll upload one in a bit in case others need it.

Comment

Wow, this came together much faster than I expected. Thank you, Ciberithm, for the really cool source recording! Here is my entry: “Turbine v0.40”

https://soundcloud.com/remst8/turbine-v0-40

Everything was done within Renoise - in fact, I used this challenge to explore some of the newest features in the latest beta.

I pulled 3 samples from the original recording:
                1) The sustained drone is a ping-pong loop of one of the knives being sharpened played 4 octaves lower than recorded, then mangled with a multitap delay, flanger, two different reverbs, and some filtering/EQ. A ring modulator with an LFO animating its frequency setting provides the pulsing effect that speeds up and slows down, with another LFO controlling the volume so it fades in and out.
                2) The faint thunking and rumbling comes from the second sample, which is a loop of the knife sharpener alone (not grinding anything) played 4 octaves lower than recorded and treated with reverb and delay. An LFO drives a bandpass filter’s center frequency up/down, which makes this sound alternate from a low rumble to the thunking sound.
                3) The occasional rattlesnake-type sound is from the third sample, which is when the knife is dramatically deflected off the sharpener and makes that great metallic resonance. This sound is treated with a high-pass filter (to minimize the sound of the sharpener), EQ, reverb, and delay. It is played either 2 or 3 octaves lower than recorded, and sometimes played backwards. This sound is triggered by the new “Maybe” command, which plays one of those permutations based upon a probability factor…so the end result will be unique each time I play/render the track.

I can make the .xrns file available if anyone would like to check it out and see the details (but you’ll need Renoise v3.0.0b1 or newer).
                remst8 - remst8.com

Comment

This a great entry, remst8. Thanks for the detailed explanation of how you did this.

I'm glad you liked the sample. I'm sure there's a "You know you make ambient music..." joke in the source of this recording. All my relatives thought I was crazy when I left in the middle of sharpening the carving knives and came back with my pocket recorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciberithm View Post
                    All my relatives thought I was crazy when I left in the middle of sharpening the carving knives and came back with my pocket recorder.
                    ....but I bet they didn't dare say anything
                    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                      Originally posted by Ciberithm View Post
                      All my relatives thought I was crazy when I left in the middle of sharpening the carving knives and came back with my pocket recorder.
                      ....but I bet they didn't dare say anything
                      :D
                      remst8 - remst8.com

Comment

Oh man xD
                        I love these jokes.

Anyways, not being able to hear Soundcloud stuff at the moment, I'm just a little intimidated by remst8's explanation :P

Gonna try making something anyways.
                        Xalpheon on SoundCloud
                        | main alias

Wax eloquent - wane together

Comment

Originally posted by Xalpheon View Post
                          Anyways, not being able to hear Soundcloud stuff at the moment, I'm just a little intimidated by remst8's explanation :P

Gonna try making something anyways.
                          Please don't sweat my long-winded way of saying "I made the original recording sound different". That's all it really boils down to.

I look forward to hearing your entry (and others)!
                          remst8 - remst8.com

Comment

and my Octatrack is going in for repair =/ warranty is almost up and the headphone jack has been doing the dreaded crackling that has hit a lot of them.

Ah well. I might be able to whip something up in the DAW before the deadline :workingout:
                            Meh.

Comment

Here ya go:

soundcloud.com/cosmiclettuce/tunnel-to-hades

I took the original sample and stretched it to about 7 minutes. Then I ran it through a HPF, ring modulator, and reverb. I ran it (the original 7 min version) again through a LPF and the same ring mod and reverb. The filters and ring mod were tweaked a little to get the sound that seemed appropriate. Then I just mixed the two together making sure that they were in sync. My wife says it sounds like going through a tunnel to hades (not sure if that's a compliment or not!), so that's what I've titled it - 'Tunnel To Hades'.

I should also mention that all of these effects are on my Roland Fantom X8. I piped the stretched sample into the audio in, ran it through the effects (in this case, I spent a lot of time finding the kind of sound I wanted by making adjustments to the effect parameters, and then just sat back and listened to the playthrough), and then recorded the output.

Enjoy, Peace, and Happy New Year!

CL
                              Last edited by AstroAndMusic; 01-02-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X