X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Sample Dare #33

Hi,
    here is my sample for One Sample Dare #33. It's freesound, as I'm quite busy right now...:

http://www.freesound.org/people/LanDub/sounds/182428/

It's a public domain recording from a kitchen, with lots of different stuff going on.

I hope you'll come up with something nice :thumbsup:

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

The idea of the contest is to create ambient track using only one sample.

Rules are:

1. Additional samples, soundfonts, synths, samplers are NOT permitted (except instruments which will use only given contest sample loaded). Any other processing of contest sample is permitted.

2. You can use as many copies of original sample as you want, each processed with respect to Rule 1.

3. Time for submissions is 16 days, counted to midnight, UTC, of 16th day.

4. Submissions should be uploaded to place available for all AO members. Links should be posted in thread dedicated to given round. Please, do not use hosting with countdown, CAPTCHA and other obstacles.

5. Sample is provided under CC0 (public domain) license.

6. Winner of contest is chosen by votes of AO members.

7. Winner of contest chooses sample for next contest.

8. Participants SHOULD disclose the formula for winning track for the benefit of community.

Blimey! That is five and a half minutes long :D

I had to sign up to freesound, but I guess I'd have done so eventually anyway. Now I just need to see if I can fit this challenge into my schedule ;)
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Nearly an hour in and I'm struggling to find any tonality in this one...

So far so good on the spacey clangs and bangs though :D

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
        Nearly an hour in and I'm struggling to find any tonality in this one...

So far so good on the spacey clangs and bangs though :D
        just load snippets into a sampler an play it on your keyboard for getting tonality :thumbsup: or stay just atonal :listening:
        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

I'm getting some "tone" now, but it's more like tuned percussion...

Comment

let's see, with a 5 minute sample I'm sure there's quite a bit to play with. Freesound is a great resource and I've used a lot of samples form them in different releases and things to seill be released.

Comment

it's a wonderful sample with lots of elements for drones and melodies ...
              ahornberg.bandcamp.com
              soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Hello. Here's my submission for this challenge, as usual, with no title.
                http://soundcloud.com/sklawlor/1samp...e-33submission
                track 1: Ran the entire sample through a bell preset of the supa phaser VST, pitch shifted it down 1.5 octives and then ran the whole thing through smart electroniques ambience.
                track 2: ran the entire sample through amplitude modulation, a phaser preset, pitch shifted it down 1.5 octives and then ran the whole thing through smart electroniques ambience.
                track 3: ran the entire sample through a delay and then pitch shifted it down 1.5 octives reversed the results and then ran it through another delay. I then ran this through smart eleectroniques ambience and a pan effect
                track4: ran track 3 through a reverse bouncing ball delay with tone shift and then smart electroniques ambience.
                track 5: took the last 15.5 minutes of track 4 and mixed it with track 3.
                track 6: mixed tracks 1 and 2.
                track 7: mixed tracks 5 and 6 then ran it through another instance of smart electroniques ambience.

Thanks for listening and for your comments, if you have any to present.

Comment

Excellent stuff Scott. I think I am trying to be too "melodic." Your submission is the sort of vision I had when I heard the provided sample so perhaps I should have stuck to that rather than trying to create a "tune."

Back to the drawing board methinks, and thanks for the inspiration and direction Scott

Comment

I am finding the whole process fascinating, and mesmerising... I've got a 17 minute thing going on with over twenty tracks, some of which have samples that stretch the whole length of the project. So as I'm listening back, after dragging the samples in and routing through effects busses, it's like a voyage through an unknown soundscape... Something which I have only had a minimal amount of creative input, which is a bit worrying in a way...

Comment

Steam Punk

hey folks, here it is!

https://soundcloud.com/ahornberg/steam-punk

I loaded the samlpe into Reason's sampler, tuned it microtonal and played it forward and backward at different pitches in something like a dimished scale. Then I salted the whole thing with some delays and reverbs and that's simply all!

... I did some dark tracks but I never did such a dark track ever before ... maybe I should stop playing machinarium?
                      ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                      soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Originally posted by Ahornberg View Post
                        hey folks, here it is!
                        Nice job on that sample :D

I think that this time, I need to wait until I have heard some more before I submit my track ;)

Currently, most of my "noise" is too laden with every frequency and is almost just white noise most of the way through. Obviously I have captured some of the percussive elements but I'm wondering if I need to tone some of that "noise" down somehow.

I am fighting with myself, with regards to Tantra... I'm doing my best to keep Tantra out of this piece.........

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                          I am fighting with myself, with regards to Tantra... I'm doing my best to keep Tantra out of this piece.........
                          You could make it into an anti-Tantra mantra...:biggrin:
                          http://soundcloud.com/tuonela-1
                          http://tuonela.bandcamp.com/

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

And awaaaay we go...

https://soundcloud.com/tuonela-1/poltergeist-ao-osd-33

First stage was a “let’s see what happens” thing. I compressed the entire sample down to 1 second in length and then stretched it out to 10 minutes, resulting in a fairly even, furry drone that sits in the background.

Second stage was using the entire sample, keeping its basic percussive nature intact by simply adding four layers of delay to make it a primitive rhythm track. The sample was also reversed and the same process applied.

Third stage was processing the sample in ambient v.3. I kept this “improv” as deep and reverb-y as possible to provide a contrast to the second stage tracks.

Fourth stage was taking small bits of the above and using them to create drones and bits of weirdness at the beginning and end, using stretching, reverb and Convoluter.
                            http://soundcloud.com/tuonela-1
                            http://tuonela.bandcamp.com/

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

An apt name for the submission

I love them gong type sounds... I can only imagine they came either from an effect or from the spoon stirring part.

Nice space around the parts, unlike mine which is lacking such space and gaps between the noise...

I keep having a look at that Ambient 3 utility and it might only be a matter of time before I pull the trigger on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X