X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Sample Dare #35

One Sample Dare #35

So here's a sample for OSD #35. It's from freesound (CC0), and as the author says, it's "An old wind-up clock [that] chimes 11 o'clock". I took this one because I really like the melody and I think we'll be able to come up with some beautiful melodies or tonal stuff. Although it might be difficult to separate the melody from the sounds made by the clock's mechanism. So it's a double challenge

http://freesound.org/people/UncleSigmund/sounds/31183/

Don't forget to use all your new tools acquired in the Black Friday sales.

Enjoy! :tu:

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

The idea of the contest is to create ambient track using only one sample.

Rules are:

1. Additional samples, soundfonts, synths, samplers are NOT permitted (except instruments which will use only given contest sample loaded). Any other processing of contest sample is permitted.

2. You can use as many copies of original sample as you want, each processed with respect to Rule 1.

3. Time for submissions is 16 days, counted to midnight, UTC, of 16th day.

4. Submissions should be uploaded to place available for all AO members. Links should be posted in thread dedicated to given round. Please, do not use hosting with countdown, CAPTCHA and other obstacles.

5. Sample is provided under CC0 (public domain) license.

6. Winner of contest is chosen by votes of AO members.

7. Winner of contest chooses sample for next contest.

8. Participants SHOULD disclose the formula for winning track for the benefit of community.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
    Last edited by Wanterkeelt; 11-27-2015, 11:09 AM.

Wonderful sample!
    SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
    Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
    "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

This will be fun! Great sample.
      | Bandcamp | Hearthis | website |

Comment

love that sample!
        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

I love this sample! :listening:

The sample was randomly re-sampled - live - using my demo version of the mangle, and also in ambient v.3. These were multi-tracked, with selective delay and reverb applied to different tracks. Small bits were copied and used to create accompanying drones.
          http://soundcloud.com/tuonela-1
          http://tuonela.bandcamp.com/

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Hi there. Here's my submission and thanks for taking the time to listen.
            http://soundcloud.com/sklawlor/time-...-joint-1sample
            track 1: ran the entire sample through a reverse bouncing ball delay with tone shift and then electroniques ambience.
            track 2: time stretched track 1 by a factor of 8 and used a 12 minute and 40 second quieter passage of this in the final mix.
            track 3: Pitch shifted the entirety of track 2 down by 2 octives, selecting the first 15 minutes or so for the foundation of the challenge submission.
            track 4: Ran track 3 through an amplitude modulation plugin.
            track5: reversed the original sample, then ran it through a quick delay, pitch shifted it down one octive and then ran smart electroniques ambience on it.
            track 6: ran track 5 through a vibrato effect, a pitch bend effect and then through wollow spacer 2 synth edit.
            track 7: Pitch shifted track 1 down by 2 octives.

Comment

Hi, here is my submission and thanks to those who take the time to listen. It is much appreciated and as always, feedback is most welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/graham-mcarthur/sample-dare-35

T1 - (main theme running through the entire track) Paulstretch the complete sample x 10. Pitch Shifted down 1.5 octaves. Increased bass by 2.6dB, and decreased treble by -3.9 dB.
              T2 - (the introduction) Cut a 32 second section from T1 and pitch changed down 7 half steps. Slowed entire section down 50%.
              T3 - (support drone for main theme) Cut 12 seconds off beginning of T2. Slowed down by 30%. Increased bass 2 dB, increased treble 3.6 dB. Paulstretch x10.
              T4 - (beat loop) Took 1.5 second section of the samples 'bell' and slowed it down 60%. Added fade out and amplified volume by 26dB.
              T5 - (counter rhythm to T4) Took 4 minutes from T1 (the clock's chimes) Slowed down 60%. Amplified by 5.6 dB. Added echo and reverb, then slowed down another 18%.
              T6 - (ending and fade out) Took last 26 seconds from original sample and faded out last 12 seconds.

Then there came the mixing and mastering. Linear EQ was adjusted up 1.5 dB after mixing and before mastering.

Comment

I didn't listen to the sample beforehand, and I didnt know what it was (scott put it with title changed in my dropbox) i loaded it into live 8 and cecilia 5, loaded up some fx that i thought would make it ambient, and pressed record in audacity. Naturally, i was scared what would happen and it didnt turn out that well.. but it was fun trying!

track 1: the original sample slowed down to 20 bpm in live 8 with the following chain: six string ambience > granalizer vst > wide ambience reverb.
                track 2: original sample slowed to 20bpm again in live 8 with these fx: ambience v1 vst > crystal bass > wide chorus.
                tracks 1 and 2 i did some twiddling over the course of the piece and pressed play again towards the end
                track 3: sample loaded into cecilia 5 with looper mod, reverb, chorus, harmonizer, resonators. again played with the levels throughout.. unfortunately it stops rather abruptly, i thought i'd set it repeating for longer
                soundcloud | bandcamp | infinite colors label | new weird ambient group | hearthis

Comment

"Akirhanokra"

Synths: Ambitron, Padshop Pro, tcStretch, TimeFreezer, WOK Stretcha.
                  Effects: graidelVerb v3, GrainGeheurer, GrainStatesFX, pS_gLitch, SpecMonkeyage, Tyme Sepha, ValhallaRoom.
                  Tools: Mammut, PaulStretch, Sirenaudio Generative 2.

Layer 1: Original sample desilenced played by WOK Stretcha routed through SpecMonkeyage and ValhallaRoom. Volume controlled by random Bezier-Curved envelope with frequency 16/1.
                  Layer 2: Original sample desilenced played by TimeFreezer VSTi, with 'Wave Position" and "Wave Zoom" parameters controlled by random Bezier curves. ValhallaRoom closes the chain.
                  Layer 3: Original sample and its desilenced version played by Padshop Pro on one single continuous note. ValhallaRoom follows.
                  Layer 4: Original sample and its desilenced version played by Ambitron.
                  Layer 5: tcStretch playing original sample through chain of SpecMonkeyage and ValhallaRoom.
                  Layer 6: Original sample repeated multiple times and routed through chain of Reaktor ensembles (some of them had their wet/dry proportion set to 50/50 or even less): GrainGeheurer, Tyme Sepha (wet 50%), graidelVerb v3 (wet 50%), GrainStatesFX (wet 50%), pS_gLitch (wet 20%). ValhallaRoom closes the chain.
                  Layer 7: Original sample paulstretched to 10 minutes, used cut of first 3:30, then original sample processed by Generative 2.
                  Layer 8: Original sample desilenced, then stretched in Mammut, then original sample processed by Generative 2.

SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
                  Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
                  "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

"Waiting To Launch"

I was working on this on Thursday while I was waiting for the launch at Cape Canaveral. I had NasaTV on my laptop and the music really fit with the images and the sparse count down conversation. Hence, the title.

I took a short piece of the sample that had no bells. Then in Audacity, did a PaulStretch 20 (track 1). Took that and dropped it an octave (track 2). Then stretched both by 200). The rest was done in Logic Pro X. The sound of each track was very monotone. Each track then had a different preset of Space Designer Reverb added - 100% wet. I applied two filters to each track and then randomly applied automation to the gain and frequency of each filter - eight automations all together. Most of my time was spent tweaking the gain automations to take out any excessive spots. Used Molot to even it out a little.
                    https://soundcloud.com/davedorgan | https://davedorgan.bandcamp.com | https://twitter.com/davedorgan

Comment

Very cool, Dave. I like the minimal approach and sound.

Comment

http://soundcloud.com/ambireseiche/tick-take-2

Track 1 - brief sample of bell stretched and looped in audacity. imported to LMMS and added Glitch Machines Fracture plugin, AR_WhaleSong preset

Track 2 - another brief sample, stretched and looped in audacity

track 3 - ticking from end of sample, faded

track 4 - sample similar to track 2, using am pitchshifter and cinematic reverb in lmms

FX-Mixer - Masquerade w/ Krisp Wide preset, butterworth lowpass, TLs Pocket Limiter
                        | Ambire Seiche - @ heart this | @ Sonic Squirrel |
                        | @da

Comment

Dave, great submission. I love the sound you got out of - according to your desciption - such simple manipulations. Top !

Comment

Frozen Big Ben

So here is mine:

I took the part with Big Ben's melody and paulstretched it 24 times.
                            I also took a part of the tick-tack and paulstretched it 24 times.
                            I mixed both together to get one track.

Then I adden massive bass with an equalizer, used a delay
                            and modulated the delay-time a bit by the gain of the track using Bitwig's Audio Mod.
                            Then I added reverb using Verberate.

Enjoy listening!
                            ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                            soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

This is cool. I like it, good work.

Comment

Working...
                              X