This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Inspired Dare #9

Karner Blue Butterfly - Male by Huron-Manistee National Forests, on Flickr, full size image at link.

The rules are:

1. There are no restrictions as to how the track is created. All sound sources and processing methods are allowed as long as you have the rights to use them (ie. no sampling of copyrighted tracks, use only samples and recordings you've created or have the rights to etc).

2. The image is only an inspiration, you do not have to use it to generate any sounds (in an application such as Metasynth)

3. Time for submissions is 16 days, counted to midnight, UTC, of 16th day.

4. Submissions should be uploaded to place available for all AO members. Links should be posted in thread dedicated to given round. Please, do not use hosting with countdown, CAPTCHA and other obstacles.

5. Winner of contest is chosen by votes cast by AO members.

6. Winner of contest chooses the image for next contest. Photos, digital artwork, pencil sketches... All acceptable. The image can be hosted at Ambient Online or on a site such as Imgur if you feel a high quality copy is preferable.

7. Participants are encouraged to discuss their methods for the benefit of the community.

Last day for submissions is Fri Feb 12
    | Ambire Seiche - @ heart this | @ Sonic Squirrel |
    | @da

That's a nice image, makes me think of spring amongst the rain and gales we're experiencing here at the moment...
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Track 1 - ethereal guitarscapes skyscrape sample from Samplephonics run through Ambient v3. Played back in LMMS with Smartelectronix Ambient vst using hold in various places, and recorded in Audacity. Reloaded w/ recorded version run through floorfish, valve filter, protoverb and bandpass filter.

Track 2 - wind made with Wind vst, run through custom randomized setting in Protoverb

Track 3 - Oscine vst w/ protoverb at a different randomized setting

Track 4-8 - Synsect vst at various presets. w/ protoverb at same setting as 3

Final Mix - tube amp, saturated driver, sheppi spatial enhancer, mhorse, pocket limiter
      | @da

Comment

In their own world they are massive, sophisticated flying machines, works of art and masterpieces of design. Like the Replicants of Bladerunner, their lives are short and spectacular.

This is part of a series of drones I'm tinkering with, based on the idea of butterflies as massive machines and flying artworks. From memory, this uses several small fragments from other tracks, mixed together, stretched (a lot) and further processed.
        http://soundcloud.com/tuonela-1
        http://tuonela.bandcamp.com/

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I'm going to be away while this challenge ends, do people want to extend for a few days, in case anymore entries turn up? Wondering if a month would be a better timeframe for this challenge...

Cheers.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
            I'm going to be away while this challenge ends, do people want to extend for a few days, in case anymore entries turn up? Wondering if a month would be a better timeframe for this challenge...

Cheers.
            I'm easy with that - I seem to be in several challenges, one in particular called Extrospection on Soundcloud which is monthly. Plus I write, and am in a challenge there involving about 15 stories. Plus I forget things... :whiteflag:
            http://soundcloud.com/tuonela-1
            http://tuonela.bandcamp.com/

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Karner Blues

This is done entirely in Reason. The ostinato is played by a granular choir, the choir in the back is made out of additive synthesis. A drum loop is teard through multiple flanging delays. The lead sound is created by phase modulation and is tunes microtonal (73 cents per step). At the end a sampled piano and a sampled flute appear. There are some distortion FX on send channels and a plate reverb on the master bus.

So enjoy! :listening:
              ahornberg.bandcamp.com
              soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post

Cheers.
                I have to admit...the more time the better for me right now...so I'm OK with that :P

Comment

I'm fine with extending it, and I love the entries so far
                  | @da

Comment

Ok, how about another couple of days just so we don't catch anyone out? Midnight Friday, 26th Feb?

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Another 'dense' generative midi experiment. Played by v-station and z3ta+, effects just vintageverb, ubermod, a little tkDelay and that's about it.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

You probably meant midnight UTC, huh? Well it's not quite midnight here...oh, well, if it's too late it's too late! Let me know

Comment

You're entries good Windspace, no point being too officious about any of this.

Ok, submissions now closed, I'll get the voting thread up in a while (on my phone at the mo, way too much trouble all that copying and pasting )

Cheers.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks Gary!

Comment

Working...
                            X