Gear 468x120
Shop at Perfect Circuit and support Ambient Online!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image Inspired Dare #15

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Inspired Dare #15

Image Inspired Dare #15

Image supplied by ARshawn:

20160916_181920.jpg

(click to enlarge)

The Rules:

1. There are no restrictions as to how the track is created. All sound sources and processing methods are allowed as long as you have the rights to use them (ie. no sampling of copyrighted tracks, use only samples and recordings you've created or have the rights to etc).

2. The image is only an inspiration, you do not have to use it to generate any sounds (in an application such as Metasynth or Kaleidoscope)

3. The challenge is open for one month. If you're a little late and the thread is still open then please post away or PM me (GaryG); this is a fun challenge and entries are more important than the deadline.

4. Submissions should be uploaded to a place available for all AO members. Links should be posted in thread dedicated to the given round. Please, do not use hosting with countdown, CAPTCHA and other obstacles.

5. Winner of contest is chosen by votes cast by AO members.

6. Winner of contest chooses the image for next contest. Photos, digital artwork, pencil sketches... All acceptable. The image can be hosted at Ambient Online or on a site such as Imgur if you feel a high quality copy is preferable.

7. Participants are encouraged to discuss their methods for the benefit of the community.

Entries should be submitted by midnight UTC on Wednesday 30th November.

Best of luck!
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

That picture is so awesome that I think it may even inspire me to create something...

(just to explain for those who may not be aware - The reason I don't participate in the Image Inspired Dare thing is I struggle to be inspired by anything other than sounds. My problem, and I'm not entirely happy with it...)
    >]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
      That picture is so awesome that I think it may even inspire me to create something...

(just to explain for those who may not be aware - The reason I don't participate in the Image Inspired Dare thing is I struggle to be inspired by anything other than sounds. My problem, and I'm not entirely happy with it...)

i know what u mean. there r times ill just plug my guitar in and let it feedback and sit tweekin knobs and settings. i really need to quit wastin money on pedals but every year they just git cooler and cooler....
      https://soundcloud.com/sleep-data

Comment

I'll give it a go. Trying to mix an EP for my daughters at the mo, but I'll find time somehow... Enjoyed the last one sample dare (my first) and have been looking forward to having a go at one of these :-)
        Also work currently crap :thumbsdown: Dreaming of sailing off into the sunset

Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

Originally posted by ARshawn View Post
          Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

i know what u mean. there r times ill just plug my guitar in and let it feedback and sit tweekin knobs and settings. i really need to quit wastin money on pedals but every year they just git cooler and cooler....

when i bought the earth quaker devices "afterneath" i dint think that shortly after they'd come out with the freaking "transmizer"

Comment

Here's my attempt :-)

Comment

As to methods; Recorded me playing an M-Audio Venom synth (one take), then f*cked about with it using echo and reverb, bass enhancement and some EQ

Comment

Sounding good YnotB (is that your real name?)

Plenty of space between the bits, if you know what I mean. And it is giving out that "foreboding" feel that you get from the image.

Comment

Thanks Andy. Ynot is Tony backwards :-)

Comment

Originally posted by YnotB View Post
                    Ynot is Tony backwards :-)
                    Trust me not to spot that one! :nuts:

Comment

Less than a week left to enter this challenge...
                      Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Comment

Okay Peeps,

Here goes... This is my submission for Image Inspired Dare #15:-

I have called it maelstrom simply because that's what the image looks like to me.

I wanted the piece to have a calm beginning and ending so I used a field recording that I took a few years ago, up in Carlisle when we were on holiday at a place called Tranquil Otter. Nice place

Lots of corny stuff here but I still like it, I think.

I hope you lot do too :biggrin:

cheers

andy

Comment

I took a really old track of mine and did a one-take "improv" on it using ambient v.3 software. Tweaked with multi-tracking and a bit of delay and reverb. :biggrin:
                            http://soundcloud.com/tuonela-1
                            http://tuonela.bandcamp.com/

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

"Traffic Analysis"

I used material left over from the One Sample Dare #46.

I found a lot of traffic-like sounds and mashed them together.

See this Ambient Online post for a description of the sample process:
                              http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/s...ll=1#post37133
                              Jim Hurley
                              https://soundcloud.com/jimhurley

Comment

Working...
                              X