Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Sample Dare #46

One Sample Dare #45

This is a very short sample at only 13 seconds long, and it consists of some harsh metallic sounds created by dragging a toilet roll holder over a tiled floor. Right at the start of the sample I have included a "bonus" sound of me running my fingers up a heated towel rail. All taken in my bathroom:-

if you decide to accept this challenge, you must follow the rules below:

==================================================

the idea of the contest is to create ambient track using only one sample.

rules are:

1. additional samples, soundfonts, synths, samplers are not permitted (except instruments which will use only given contest sample loaded). any other processing of contest sample is permitted.

2. you can use as many copies of original sample as you want, each processed with respect to rule 1.

3. time for submissions is 16 days, counted to midnight, utc, of 16th day.

4. submissions should be uploaded to place available for all ao members. links should be posted in thread dedicated to the given round. please, do not use hosting with countdown, captcha, and other obstacles.

5. sample is provided under cc0 (public domain) license.

6. winner of contest is chosen by votes of ao members.

7. winner of contest chooses sample for next contest.

8. participants should disclose the formula for winning track for the benefit of community.

==================================================

good luck!

edit: I've made the track public instead of private
    Last edited by synkrotron; 11-20-2016, 03:05 AM.
    >]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Peeps,

If that sample it too short, let me know and I will try something else.

cheers

andy

Comment

I think the sample is fine at that length.
      Jim Hurley
      https://soundcloud.com/jimhurley

Comment

Originally posted by arachnaut View Post
        I think the sample is fine at that length.
        Hi Jim, thanks

I was wondering, because by this time the usual OSD crew have downloaded it and left a "thanks" for the post.

But this time, just the two thanks and no download, just 8 plays.

That made me think that perhaps the sample was perhaps not rich enough in content. Which I guess that it isn't compared to all the other samples I've worked with since joining here. But from what I know now, I know that it is possible to make something from this 13 second snippet, and, after all, it is a challenge :D

cheers

andy

Comment

No problems with the sample length, Andy. Looking forward to the challenge.
          | Bandcamp | Hearthis | website |

Comment

Originally posted by Maharg View Post
            No problems with the sample length, Andy. Looking forward to the challenge.
            Thanks Graham

I'm really looking forward to hearing what Peeps make from this :D

cheers

andy

Comment

Thanks Andy. Just a bit slow off the mark here. Busy weekend :timeout:
              Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

Love it :thumbsup: I only just got notification, might explain the slow response.
                http://soundcloud.com/tuonela-1
                http://tuonela.bandcamp.com/

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Thanks Tony and Ian

Big sigh of relief now...

Been kind of busy myself to be honest, with one thing or another.

cheers

andy

Comment

Generally, I don't use the 'thank' button.
                    Nothing personal, I just think it is something 'special'.
                    I've been busy making sample sets, here is just one small part out of several hours worth of manipulations so far:

http://www.arachnaut.net/Ambient%20O...OSD46/test.wav

For me, this is quite a rich sample set. I could go with a 4 or 5 second sample with no problem.
                    Last edited by arachnaut; 11-21-2016, 09:54 AM.
                    Jim Hurley
                    https://soundcloud.com/jimhurley

Comment

Originally posted by arachnaut View Post
                      Generally, I don't use the 'thank' button.
                      I understand that Jim.

I think it's fair to say, though, that ever since I started doing this OSD thing, is appears to be a "tradition," if you like, to leave a "thanks" on the first post.

It's not compulsory and it's not an indication of thanks, as far as I'm aware.

Comment

Thanks, Andy! I think there is enougfh here to work with, and for me it is an interesting sample, the kind of field recordings I like to work with. It's just that I'm in the middle of moving house, so I'm not sure if and when I can find the time to produce something for this challenge.
                        https://ablaut.bandcamp.com/ | https://soundcloud.com/ablaut

Comment

My submission - Close Encounter

I like to add an extra challenge for myself with these dares and try hard to keep the process as simple as possible.
                          With this sample being all noise it makes it ideal for something dark. The short recording plus the silences and gaps within the sample also opens up many possibilities for ready made repeated sections or loops.
                          I ended up using the whole 13 seconds, but cut it up to make 11 tracks of various lengths from a few seconds to 4 minutes. The only processing I used was to change tempo, apply reverb and alter the pitch.
                          Each track was made in Audacity and the mixing was done in Logic Pro.
                          Thanks for listening.
                          | Bandcamp | Hearthis | website |

Comment

Hello here's my contribution :

Was definately fun making :D
                            Last edited by Scryden; 11-23-2016, 08:38 AM.
                            Soundcloud |Now at hearthis.at for lenghtier samples| Bandcamp

Comment

Nice one Scryden, and welcome to the OSD Challenge :D

Comment

Working...
                              X