• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GaryG
    replied
    Originally posted by arachnaut View Post
    If you see no difference I am greatly disappointed.:biggrin:
    Ha.

I framed that badly, of course these are very different processes with very different results but, at a higher conceptual level, they both involve mangling the original audio so I don't see how one could be allowed and not the other.

Leave a comment:

• windspace
    replied
    Originally posted by Windspace View Post
    Jim,
    Do you think that your jiTTer-cHain miNim ensemble will run on a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo?
    Yes it should.
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• arachnaut
    replied
    Originally posted by Windspace View Post
    Jim,
    Do you think that your jiTTer-cHain miNim ensemble will run on a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo?
    Yes it should.

Leave a comment:

• windspace
    replied
    Jim,

Leave a comment:

• arachnaut
    replied
    If you see no difference I am greatly disappointed.:biggrin:

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    It uses only the sample data, it does not synthesize any waves on its own, all according to the rules.
    i think this is fine, I don't see any real difference between this and paulstretching or extreme granular processing that gets submitted all the time. All just 'mangling' the original audio.

Leave a comment:

• arachnaut
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Ahornberg
    replied
    I just got the new Reaktor sampler called FORM.
    It uses an algorithm called "Pitch Synchronous Overlap and Add (PSOLA)".
    Some sort of re-synthesis technique based on an analysis of the sample. Pitch centers and moved apart or made closer in a granular way somehow.
    I will try to use it on the next dare to get to know it better.
    It doesn't strictly abide by the rules that currently exist, but I'm hoping no one cares that much about strict conformity, so long as the spirit is there.
    Can FORM be combined with Reaktor Blocks?

Leave a comment:

• arachnaut
    replied
    For those that have Reaktor, I have uploaded my 'jiTTer-cHain' ensemble that I use in the one sample dare contest to make more samples from the original.

It uses only the sample data, it does not synthesize any waves on its own, all according to the rules.

I learned a bit using them in the challenges so this is a big improvement on the versions I used in the past, there are 128 snapshots (presets). Just replace the sample map with the One Sample Dare entry, set the sample range, and go.

I record that output for a while, snip out the best samples, plug them back into jiTTer and repeat until well-cooked. The snapshots are set to run automatically in a random way - turn off 'Global AutoSnap' to explore manual settings.

It uses quite a bit of CPU, so it comes in two flavors: high and low octane. You can download them both from the user library:

jiTTer-cHain:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ry/show/10729/

jiTTer-cHain-miNim:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ry/show/10755/

The big one has 8x oversampling limiters and some other niceties, so it takes about 2x the power of the smaller version (which should run on laptops). But they sound about the same --- quite extreme.

Leave a comment:

• arachnaut
    replied
    I just got the new Reaktor sampler called FORM.
    It uses an algorithm called "Pitch Synchronous Overlap and Add (PSOLA)".
    Some sort of re-synthesis technique based on an analysis of the sample. Pitch centers and moved apart or made closer in a granular way somehow.
    I will try to use it on the next dare to get to know it better.
    It doesn't strictly abide by the rules that currently exist, but I'm hoping no one cares that much about strict conformity, so long as the spirit is there.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    So, I return home from work and see this:-

Basically, the original sample is just a bunch of sine wave, so says Fourier, and we can add a bunch together to get anything we want.
    Fond memories of late-nights in the office with programmable calculators in the late '70s TI-59s as I recall

Leave a comment:

• ablaut
    replied
    I think the point of our challenges / dares are to spark creativity. So I'm not too worried about the methods used. Working within constraints is obviously a positive in terms of creativity, so an argument can be made both ways. Ultimately it's up to the mods.

But personally I'm mostly interested in hearing interesting music as a result.

Leave a comment:

• arachnaut
    replied
    I will now keep quiet for a while and let this idea sift.

It's a philosophical issue, because I think we all intuitively like to mangle the hell out of samples, so we don't want any restraints, particularly if we have to open up a Reaktor ensemble to see if it re-synthesizes somehow.

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    Originally posted by deepstasis View Post
    Thanks for the help Do I just post the entry hear when Im ready if I make it in time ? I been wanting to mess around with a particular sound that been in my Zoom H4n so this should get me motivated to play with plan to do drone style. even if I don't make it in time will still post when done
    If you make it within the deadline I would post your entry here please:-

http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/s...Sample-Dare-43

If you miss the deadline then you may as well create a new post here:-

http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/f...ember-Releases

The OSD forum is locked anyway once the deadline has passed.

cheers

andy

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    You have made some fair points there Jim, and although I have taken part in six of these challenges I am still relatively new to the forum.

Let's see what some of the other members say

Leave a comment:

Working...
X