X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Sample Dare Challenge #63

This challenges sample supplied by joyneski:

https://soundcloud.com/user-85924036...ieks-and-stuff

"some of the more interesting noises I've managed to catch on my DR-05 from some demolition/construction work going on nearby"

================================================== ======================

The idea of the contest is to create an ambient track using only this one sample.

The rules are:

1. Additional sounds (whether samples, soundfonts, synths, romplers etc) are not permitted. Instruments and samplers which allow the loading of samples are permitted (though only the contests sample or part of can be used of course). Any other processing of contest sample is permitted (and encouraged).

2. You can use as many copies or parts of the original sample as you want, each processed with respect to rule 1. This allows you to come up with heavily processed sounds, but still only tracing back to the original sample.

3. This challenge is open for three weeks, it will end at midnight (UTC) on Sunday 28th October 2018.

4. Submissions should be uploaded to a place available for all AO members. Links should be posted in the thread dedicated to the given round. Please, do not use hosting with countdown, captcha, and other obstacles.

5. The sample is provided under CC0 (public domain) license.

6. The winner of the contest is chosen by a vote open to all AO members. You can submit as many entries as you like but the winner will be the single entry with the most votes, votes for multiple submissions by an artists are not combined.

7. The winner of contest chooses the sample for the next contest.

8. Participants should disclose the formula for each track submission for the benefit of community.

Good luck everybody!
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

My entry:-

Tools used include three instances of Iris 2 into which I drag the whole sample, Adaptiverb, MGranularMB, Pro-R and Timeless 2. I also use Pro-Q2 and Pro-L2 for messing with frequencies and levels.

Much automation is used to manipulate send levels to the effects which are on their own busses.

I am currently picking up and learning Reaper on my Surface Pro.

cheers

andy
    Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Working in Reaper, I wanted to explore the hidden frequencies in this sample. So I selected different sounds from the source that I liked and applied heavy EQ automation to each track. also used 2 Ambient Reverb plug ins to each track with various settings, all automated. discovered the hidden-by-default tempo map automation envelope on the master track. Used compression to bring certain parts of the mix forward. I rendered this result (mostly because my CPU usage was going through the roof with the automation) and added a few more sounds applying the same techniques until I was satisfied with the final result.

Comment

Hey All, This is my first submission for this group. I love working with audio and making loops. I don't know if this is very ambient but maybe ambient funk.I sliced the sample in ableton and built it up. I only used guitar rig to fx the sounds. Guitar Rig is my favorite plug in. I look forward to participating in more of these in the future.

https://soundcloud.com/detritus-tabu3/demo-of-the-demo

Peace, Hugh

Comment

Originally posted by DetritusTabu3 View Post
          Hey All, This is my first submission for this group. I love working with audio and making loops. I don't know if this is very ambient but maybe ambient funk.I sliced the sample in ableton and built it up. I only used guitar rig to fx the sounds. Guitar Rig is my favorite plug in. I look forward to participating in more of these in the future.

https://soundcloud.com/detritus-tabu3/demo-of-the-demo

Peace, Hugh
          Hiya Hugh

Welcome to the AO forum and to the One Sample Dare challenge. I think you will wake a few of us up with that one haha! Abrupt ending ;)

cheers

andy
          Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Hey Hugh
            Nice to see you on this site! Look forward to hear more of your work in these challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by DetritusTabu3 View Post
              Hey All, This is my first submission for this group. I love working with audio and making loops. I don't know if this is very ambient but maybe ambient funk
              Hi Hugh, welcome to the group.

We did debate whether we should try and limit these challenges to 'ambient' pieces of some description but the samples are so wide-ranging it was felt we should just let the members have fun and do whatever they felt like, show off their creativity etc.

And some would argue your track is very ambient, if you're on a building site... ;) Nice work though.
              Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
              X