Ceres : Ambient Dream Pop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceres : Ambient Dream Pop?

Hi - I created Ceres without aiming for any particular musical style and then wondered how to best categorise what I just recorded...
    The best description I came up with is ambient dreampop - does that sound about right?

Ambient Dream Pop?

Not sure... Pop didn't pop into my head when I was listening to it. Nice track, dreamy, but, yeah, not so sure about the pop
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
      Ambient Dream Pop?

Not sure... Pop didn't pop into my head when I was listening to it. Nice track, dreamy, but, yeah, not so sure about the pop
      Thanks and yes, pop is a perhaps bit misleading and in any case I might well be off-target... perhaps I should qualify my prototype description in any case as being ' Ambient Instrumental Down Tempo Dreampop' - I guess the nearest I can think of is the theme to Twin Peaks (which is an instrumental version of a song 'Falling') -which I think is classified by some as dreampop?

Twin Peaks Theme:

Any other thoughts as to which ambient sub-genre I might have accidentally landed in?

Comment

I can see some similarities, now, between your piece and that Twin Peaks thing, so perhaps it is just Dreampop then?

Personally, I hate all this genre/sub-genre stuff and it has always had me stumped over the years.

In some ways it is easier to decide what it isn't...

Heavy Metal? No.

Rap? No.

Country? No.

Nu Metal? No.

Progressive Rock? Erm... Well... There's a thing...

Head done in
        I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
          I can see some similarities, now, between your piece and that Twin Peaks thing, so perhaps it is just Dreampop then?

Personally, I hate all this genre/sub-genre stuff and it has always had me stumped over the years.
          Hah - well since Twin Peaks was a long time ago, perhaps I am really in more of a progressive regressive nu-dreampop subgenre... with a current worldwide body of work amassing to 1 track

Actually the main reason I was curious about genre is so I might be able to summarise an approximation succinctly eg on a video description, but not really so vital though and arguably, obscure tags just confuse - glad you liked the track anyway, whatever genre it is...

Comment

Nice work! But I am still curious about the genre...

Comment

I would call it space ambient. Nicely done, BTW, on both the video and the music! It reminds me of a mellower version of Steve Hillage, or a very laid back version of Ozric Tentacles. The David Gilmour-ish guitar really adds something to it, and the light percussion is apropos to the piece.
              Last edited by Sonic Bodhi; 08-11-2019, 11:14 AM.
              https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
              https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
              https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
              https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Originally posted by betadecay View Post
                Nice work! But I am still curious about the genre...
                Thanks! yes, me too but I suspect there is no one definitive genre...

Originally posted by Sonic Bodhi View Post
                I would call it space ambient. Nicely done, BTW, on both the video and the music! It reminds me of a mellower version of Steve Hillage, or a very laid back version of Ozric Tentacles. The David Gilmour-ish guitar really adds something to it, and the light percussion is apropos to the piece.
                Thanks for comments! Yes, definitely some aspects of space ambient, I guess it is a sort of crossover between a few genres... I guess Steve Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick might be somewhat similar ilk (I googled a bit and had a listen to that on YouTube...), the only Ozric Tentacles I have really listened to is the 'YumYum Tree' which is mostly high energy space rock, I must check out some more of their work

Comment

Working...
                X