Woolworths carpark Annerley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woolworths carpark Annerley

I recorded this in the large carpark below the Woolworths supermarket at Annerley. I wedged the two mics in the top of the side window and went shopping while recording. I've tweaked things a bit and added in some processed bits here and there. The processed bits are derived from the hum/dominant frequencies of the material at that point in time. https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/album/annerley-carpark
    Last edited by GregH; 09-10-2019, 10:00 PM.
    BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Dude, I'm speechless!

I didn't know Woolworth's was still in business!
    Last edited by YnotB; 09-09-2019, 05:55 AM.
    Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

It is in Australia - it is quite a big company, was heavy into gambling as well as supermarkets

Comment

Funnily enough, after posting that, I had a chat with my Australian colleague on that very topic.

I find the recording kinda cool, Greg. I'm not convinced it'll be a big seller, but kinda cool nonetheless....

Comment

Originally posted by YnotB View Post
          Funnily enough, after posting that, I had a chat with my Australian colleague on that very topic.

I find the recording kinda cool, Greg. I'm not convinced it'll be a big seller, but kinda cool nonetheless....
          thanks for listening - strangely enough orders are pouring in. Must be the Woolworths name ....

Comment

Comment

What a great idea, Greg

Great field recording, and the addition of the processed parts take it to another level

So, when you say "two mics," did you have one on each side of the car? Listening on the headphones you do seem to get some kind of stereo image but not sure if that is a result of the post processing.

It's a pity about some of the louder dynamics in places, car doors shutting, but from my own experience, if you try to account for some of the louder peaks, it makes the rest of the recording much too quiet to be useful.

cheers

andy
              I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                What a great idea, Greg

Great field recording, and the addition of the processed parts take it to another level

So, when you say "two mics," did you have one on each side of the car? Listening on the headphones you do seem to get some kind of stereo image but not sure if that is a result of the post processing.

It's a pity about some of the louder dynamics in places, car doors shutting, but from my own experience, if you try to account for some of the louder peaks, it makes the rest of the recording much too quiet to be useful.

cheers

andy
                thanks Andy - the mics were on the one side of the car - front and back side windows. I know what you mean about the overs on the car door slams, but I wanted to keep them in as I like the sense of overwhelming. But perhaps I should compress the dynamic range a bit as I also want those quiet bits. Althouigh I am also happy in long pieces like this for there to be a bit of silence

Comment

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                  but I wanted to keep them in as I like the sense of overwhelming.
                  Yes, I get that, Greg. I was talking more from a technical point, of field recordings in general. As far as this creation goes, it works well, and the "overs" do not spoil the experience.

Comment

thanks again - glad it worked I agree though and have been thinking about using limiters when I record - I have never used them but some people do and I like their results. My Tascam recorder can do a dual recording thing, where it records two parallel streams, one 12dB lower - so you can replace any overs with the quieter recording. I have not needed that so far. The new 32bit recorders from Zoom and Sound Devices can be set so they never overload. But you can always push a mic too far (which is what I have done in the carpark recording)

Comment

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                      My Tascam recorder can do a dual recording thing, where it records two parallel streams, one 12dB lower - so you can replace any overs with the quieter recording.
                      Ah, interesting.

I don't have a recorder and I have to currently use my Surface Pro laptop and audio interface. But I realise now that I could do the same with that by using two microphones. Down side is, can only do mono recordings.

Thanks

Comment

Woolworths Group, the largest retail company in Australia and New Zealand; named after the American F.W. Woolworth brand, but unrelated [Wiki]

Anyone could have wiki'd that, but hey.
                        "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
                        Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                          Agree on this. The sound of engines and doors slamming is disruptive. Overall though it's an interesting experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by VAULT View Post
                            Agree on this. The sound of engines and doors slamming is disruptive. Overall though it's an interesting experiment.
                            thanks for listening and taking the time to comment. I'll listen back in a day or two and see if those sounds are more disruptive than I want - although this isn't really an experiment, I've been making processed field recordings for decades.
                            Last edited by GregH; 09-13-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X