Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected Encounter [WIP]

Kind of aggressive this one, I think.

Not strictly ambient but no less so than some of the stuff I have heard posted here in the past. No percussion, though, so I'm hanging onto that fact. And you can't dance to it...

Some distorted guitar at around the eight minute mark. Simple stuff...

Drone based, in that it is based around a single note (E).

Work in progress... shouldn't be sharing but, whatever...

I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Wonderful stuff :-)

Comment

Originally posted by blackivan View Post
      Wonderful stuff :-)
      Thanks, Ivan

And thanks for rescuing my post here... I thought it was going to disappear onto page two with hardly any views or responses.

cheers

andy

Comment

I really like this one Andy. Nice job! I'm dig'n the polyrhythms. Great choice of synth sounds, they sound good together.
        Like how you used the drone / lead synth, very effective, not overdone. All parts are balanced well for space and placement.
        Only small suggestion I could make is to also fade the seq`ing pattern synth as you are fading the drone / lead at the end...fade them together.
        "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
        Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

Comment

Hi Barry

Originally posted by annode View Post
          I really like this one Andy. Nice job!
          Excellent, I am really pleased about that

I'm dig'n the polyrhythms.
          Great

I have been experimenting a lot with my four latest Distant Object tracks by utilising "internal sequencers." By that, I mean the sequencers that are part of a particular VST. So, in the case of this track, I have used the sequencers within Arturia's Moog Modular, two instances of u-he's Hive and one of Podolski.

The Modular VST provides the sequence that you have asked me to fade out with the drone and runs through much of the piece, starting around 2:10. Its sequence is made up of 8 steps and runs in a forwards/backwards manner, without repeating on the first and eighth step, and the speed is six times that of the DAW BPM (60). So a simple sequence that is made a bit more complex, I think, because of that.

The Podolski sequence is the one right at the start. I've not used that free VST for some time so it was nice to have a play with that. Not a particularly great voice, but I liked it for that sequenced part. I took the stock preset and adjusted the sequence, to "make it mine," and the voice too.

Then the two Hive sequences work together to form a stereo pair, if you like. That sequence appears briefly at around 2:40, fades out, and then re-appears at around 4:20.

The left Hive sequence has a step length = 12 and the speed of the sequence is multiplied by 0.75 (slowed down).

The right Hive sequence has a step length = 11 but the speed is left at 100 percent.

So I think that that helps give that polyrhythmic feel, especially when "fighting" with with the main Modular sequence.

Of course, by around 4:10, the 4/4 bass sequence starts to fade in, and provides some "normality" for the listener to latch onto, I think, and further enhances the polyrhythmic elements.

Great choice of synth sounds, they sound good together.
          Thanks.

I use two instances of u-he's Zebralette (also free), one for the pad at the start, which fades out at around 3:20 and then a second instance for the pad which follows and runs to the end of the piece. I cross fade the two so it sort of morphs one into the other.

Like how you used the drone / lead synth, very effective, not overdone. All parts are balanced well for space and placement.
          Excellent

Always good to get positive feedback on that aspect. I wasn't sure of the pads sounded a bit cheesy, and there may still be a possibility that peeps that use Zebralette would recognise those sounds. I obviously tweaked the presets, but I think that Zebralette has quite a distinctive "digital" sound.

Only small suggestion I could make is to also fade the seq`ing pattern synth as you are fading the drone / lead at the end...fade them together.
          Thanks for that suggestion, Barry. I have altered the project to suit your comments and it works really well. So now there is around 30 seconds or pure noise/effects from there until the end.

I've not updated the new arrangement to SoundCloud just yet. I feel that I could add some extra short elements of melody around the longer held drone part, between 3:20 and 4:16, just to break up that part a bit. Nothing too challenging, if you know what I mean.

Can I ask, how did you find the distorted guitar part that kicks in at around 8:00?

I know that this shouldn't really be there for a true ambient piece, but, as I said in my original post, I don't think this is ambient. Yes, there are ambient elements to this piece, but there are other elements that make it not so much.

The guitar part is very simple. Just two "power chords." And I've doubled up the takes, one panned hard left, the other right, which is typical for this kind of thing.

It only lasts for around 8 bars, with a couple of extra bits after that.

I was wondering if I should add another eight bars or if this small section/hint should be left as it is...

Thanks again, Barry, I really appreciate your input on this one. I'll give you a nudge when this thing actually gets finished, which shouldn't be too long now.

cheers

andy

Comment

Can I ask, how did you find the distorted guitar part that kicks in at around 8:00?
            You could add another 8 or not. I like the guitar noise since it acts as a rhythmic part against the tuba-like bass part. Together they add a stride to the moving forward direction.

Comment

You could add another 8 or not. I like the guitar noise since it acts as a rhythmic part against the tuba-like bass part. Together they add a stride to the moving forward direction.
              Thanks again, Barry.

In the end I just added a few more of the chuggy bits of guitar a bit later.

I also added, around that chuggy distorted guitar, some additional arpeggiated guitar. It kind of brings the piece back on line with the beat, on top of the distorted guitar and "tuba" sequence.

I dusted off my e-bow and added a very simple melody over that drone section.

Further tweaks to the mix were done... Levels and EQ to help get the piece sitting at -16 dB LUFS

I also realised that the bass (tuba) patch had some "internal" reverb (pipe) effect within Absynth and when I played the piece on my TV system, LOUD, it really made the whole thing very muddy. So I have removed that effect in Absynth and also cut back, quite considerably, the send to the reverb buss for the project. So I am hoping that has helped bring it a bit further "forward."

I have updated the WAV on SoundCloud but not had a chance to listen to it on my TV system again because my missus just got back home.

No pressure to listen again, of course, but if you could, that would be great

cheers

and thanks again for your help.

andy

Comment

An epic journey! I really enjoyed the sequenced polyrhythms. Great work as always, Andy!
                Zensō @ Soundcloud

Comment

I don't know. For me, it's lost all it's charm from the previous version. I don't like what that finalizing compressor stage did to it. It changes the whole mix, many of the wave envelopes, and keeps a constant RMS level. I can understand why it 'seems' to sound 'better' to many ppl...but...it's the devils tool.

Comment

Great stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Zenso View Post
                      An epic journey! I really enjoyed the sequenced polyrhythms. Great work as always, Andy!
                      Thank you very much Alan

Comment

Originally posted by George Johnson View Post
                        Great stuff...
                        Thanks George

Comment

Hi Barry,

I don't know. For me, it's lost all it's charm from the previous version.
                          I realise that there is always a chance of "breaking" something when publishing WIP mixes. I guess I have to take that on the chin.

I don't like what that finalizing compressor stage did to it.
                          I am not sure what you mean there, Barry, could you please elaborate?

It changes the whole mix, many of the wave envelopes
                          Again, I do not know what you mean. Wave envelopes?

Apologies for seeming to be so dumb but I really do not have a clue.

and keeps a constant RMS level
                          According to Sound Forge, this track has a dynamic range of 4 LU. Are you saying that the dynamic range should be wider than that?

I can understand why it 'seems' to sound 'better' to many ppl...but...it's the devils tool.
                          What is the "devils tool?"

Comment

I don't understand either. It's all good.

Comment

I don't understand either. It's all good.
                              Ah, you like it now, then? Excellent

Comment

Working...
                              X