another album from 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another album from 2019

One more from last year, this was created from submissions that I made to the one sample dare challenge years ago. Since I don't have a soundcloud account anymore, I don't think that I can download a lot of the samples from current challenges. I should check on that and get back to participating in these again since it's been a while.
    Here's the album and thanks for listening.
    https://scottlawlor.bandcamp.com/alb...the-porchlight

Wow, top notch material
    Looked at your other releases and there are lots. So, what are your personal favorites in the vein of this one? The Essential Dark Ambient Scott Lawlor?

Comment

Hello. If you enjoyed this one, you might also like Child of Rage, Iconoclasm and the Messenger. Those three are some of the darkest in the catalog. Some of the drone Excursions are pretty dark like Dark Nocturne, the Grey areas of going dark, No Light in a Dark Room and Dark Night. I hope that helps ans thanks for listening.

Comment

Thank you! I'll make sure to check out everything you've listed.

Comment

Looks like working with one sample can set up some eerie dissonance for dark ambient!
          Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, and Facebook.
          Also join me on the Dark Ambient Discord Server.

Comment

Haiku poetry is a form of art I’ve discovered just about two or three years ago. I’ve familiarized myself with writings of old, classic Japanese poets such as Matsuo Basho and Wang Wei. That being said, modern haiku poetry is still an obscurity for me. The reason for this is that I prefer reading poetry written in Finnish as it is my native language and even though I consider my English to be a little bit better than average, I think I always lose something in the process while reading poetry in English. Besides this, there is not that much Finnish writers I’m interested in and haiku poetry is a rather new phenomena in my country anyway.

So, how the babbling above correlates with this is album? Well, of course I read the haikus related to the songs, but sadly I have to admit that I couldn’t make the connection between the music and the text 100% because of the reasons I just described. This doesn’t mean I didn’t like the album (or the haikus for that matter); in fact I liked it a lot. All the songs evoked rich mental images and variety of emotions in me and I’ll share them with you as I dive into the depths of “A Moth at the Porchlight”.

“City streets ablaze;
            reflected sun fragmented,

setting on all sides.”

Even though the haiku gives a rather soothing image of a setting sun the song “City Streets Ablaze” itself works in opposite ways. Don’t know really why this is the case. Maybe my brains got too attached to the first line of the haiku and then twisted and turned it into something menacing. Anyway; as I listen to the first song it feels like I’m mindlessly walking between the streets of a city burned, or even bombed, down. Everything is grey and black and the burning ash flowing in the air burns my lungs as I inhale it.

As a curious side note I get this same feeling when I play Bloodborne (if you don’t know this game check it out, especially if you are into Lovecraftian cosmic horror) and enter the wrecked city of Old Yharnam. Not that I see myself slaying and butchering beasts and what not, but it is the overall atmosphere this song gives to me. Maybe I should listen to this album next time I’m playing Bloodborne.

“Mad shadows
            a moth at the porchlight

I grip a cold key.”

Song number two, titled “A Moth at the Porchlight”, evoked a certain childhood memory from the abyss of my subconscious. I had this friend, who shall be named as John for this story, whose family lived in this old row house in the suburbs. Despite the suburban location there was a huge field of wild roses and other fauna right behind their backyard and a forest beyond that field. Their backyard was fenced but in its corner was a small hole, fitting enough for a young kid to crawl under and out of it. When we went through this hole there were these cramped corridors formed by the rose bushes which eventually would lead to the edge of the forest. If we weren’t careful enough the spikes would cut our skin and clothes but it was an important part of our adventure.

When John’s parents found out what we were doing they told that somewhere in the middle of all the roses et cetera was a nest of a giant, monstrous moth. They said that if we accidentally would go too near its abode it would wake up from slumber, and hunt us down as the creature was supposed to feed on human blood. I remember staying at their house overnight and just before we were going to sleep we heard these creepy noises outside John’s room, like something was scratching windows trying to break in. In the morning we told about this horrid experience and John’s parents said that we woke up the moth and we are not allowed to go into the field ever again. Nowadays I understand that it was John’s father fooling around and scaring us, but believe me as I say we never went to that field again.

“Traveling priest
            vanishing in mist

trailed by his bell.”

The third song “Vanishing in Mist” probably made the strongest connection between the haiku and the music itself. Even though there is some certain sensation of distance and even sadness and loneliness in this piece, it still manages to make me feel more relaxed after the two previous songs. Luckily this change of mood in the album is so subtle and smooth that it won’t disturb the listening experience. While listening to this song I was so sure I could smell the mist, rising from the moist soil and the rustling dead leaves.

“Blizzards here on earth,
            blizzards of stars

in the sky.”

The album final “Blizzards of Stars” was my absolute favorite from this album, as it includes two things I deeply love; winter and space. Additionally it made my mind wander two and a half years back in my life to the hiking trip to Mt. Everest base camp. While our group was resting overnight in Lobuche, I remember my friend rushing into our room in pure excitement. He told me I had to go out with him immediately as I would experience something mind blowing. I was so tired and confused about the hassle but still I decided to follow him. Even today I’m so glad I did, as once we got outside he told me to look up and as I gazed into the night sky I saw Milky Way bright and clear. No words can describe my feelings that night but it was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen in my life. I remember I started to cry just because I was so happy to witness something so amazing. So, my respect to Mr. Lawlor, for making this memory come alive as music.

To put this all together, I truly appreciate when an artist manages to compose and produce an album which has this natural flow binding all the songs together into a wholesome experience, yet the songs has strength and character of their own. Usually it is more than tricky and difficult to build an album just with drones, but this album hits straight on bullseye. Production wise it is great to hear how much one can make out of a single sample per song. A skill I wish to master in the future myself. Recommended for fans of drone ambient and minimalistic dark ambient!

Comment

Hi Beyond. Thank you very much for your in depth analysis of my album and for sharing personal memories as well. Do I have your permission to post your review to my blog called the blind flight?
              I am honored and humbled by your kind words about my work. Have a good weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by sklawlor View Post
                Hi Beyond. Thank you very much for your in depth analysis of my album and for sharing personal memories as well. Do I have your permission to post your review to my blog called the blind flight?
                I am honored and humbled by your kind words about my work. Have a good weekend.
                Of course you have my permission! No problem with that at all.
                I'm happy to know you liked reading my text. Enjoy your weekend as well.

Comment

Thank you. How shall I credit you in the blog?

Comment

Originally posted by sklawlor View Post
                    Thank you. How shall I credit you in the blog?
                    That's a good question actually. I believe "TKI / Beyond the Below" would be the best option.

Comment

This is very beautiful Scott, it''s all eerily quiet, reminding me of the late Mínóy from the 80's. Great work!

Comment

Working...
                      X